HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » The Affordable Care Act -...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 12:45 PM

The Affordable Care Act - Stronger Benefits to Seniors, Billions in Savings This Year

The Affordable Care Act - Stronger Benefits to Seniors, Billions in Savings This Year
Posted: 04/29/2012 12:09 pm

Two years ago, President Obama signed the Affordable Care Act. The President's health care law gives hard working, middle-class families security, makes Medicare stronger, and puts more money back in seniors' pockets.

Prior to 2011, people on Medicare faced paying for preventive benefits like cancer screenings and cholesterol checks out of their own pockets. Now, these benefits are offered free of charge to beneficiaries.

Over time, the health reform law also closes the gap in prescription drug coverage, known as the "donut hole." This helps seniors like Helen Rayon: "I am a grandmother who is trying to assist a grandson with his education. I take seven different medications. Getting the donut hole closed, that gives me a little more money in my pocket."

In 2010, those who hit the donut hole received a $250 rebate - with almost 4 million seniors and people with disabilities receiving a collective $1 billion. In 2011, people on Medicare automatically received a 50 percent discount on brand-name drugs in the donut hole. Over 3.6 million beneficiaries received more than $2.1 billion in savings - averaging $604 per person last year.

More:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sec-kathleen-sebelius/the-affordable-care-act_b_1462694.html

10 replies, 1477 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 12:58 PM

1. Medicare is slowly but surely moving towards a single payer/provider model that can

be put in place for all.

If SCOTUS overturns the ACA, the silver lining will be the opportunity to pass a single payer bill. We have to get both houses.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to cbayer (Reply #1)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 12:49 PM

3. I'd love to believe that but I am not optimistic that the multi billion dollar health insurance

industry will just give up without a fight.

I hope I am wrong. I WANT to be wrong, but sadly, I don't think it's gonna happen...

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #3)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 01:06 PM

4. AGree that they won't go down without a fight, but they are already not

happy with the changes.

I remain optimistic.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #4)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 03:17 PM

5. Is there a way to just get rid of them?

I mean, can we get Medicare expanded to everyone, while letting the private companies do their thing and see if they can drum up enough business to stay in business?

What exactly would it take to just have that happen?

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #5)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 03:26 PM

6. My opinion is that we will end up with a 2 tier system.

The single payer/provider will provide basic coverage for everyone, but those who want to buy more can do that privately. They might buy a policy that covers things Medicare doesn't (private rooms, cosmetic procedures, certain medications) and I suspect that there would still be co-pays and deductibles that a secondary policy could cover.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #6)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 03:31 PM

7. Isn't this just another version of the public option?

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #7)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 03:37 PM

8. The public option model would allow you to pick between the federally funded

plan and a private plan. I am thinking it is more likely that everyone would participate in the federal plan (Medicare for All) but you could also purchase additional coverage for things it did not cover.

Reply to this post

Response to cbayer (Reply #8)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 05:40 PM

9. This is like what several European countries do. Some people need and buy extra dental

coverage, for instance.

What some European countries do is have single payer but allow non-profit private organizations to compete for the tax health care dollars. The catch is NON-PROFIT only, by law. So that gives people choices but still cuts out the profit motive of greedy insurance companies. It seems to work well in places like Switzerland and the Netherlands. And I think they have a few for profit companies that offer the "extras" insurance as you referenced (not basic health care).

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sun Apr 29, 2012, 01:32 PM

2. How much could they save if we bulk purchased?

Sigh.

And if they saved $604 how much did they spend? Yikes.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 30, 2012, 05:52 PM

10. The more drugs the pharma people can get the gullible old people on the more profits they make

Got an ache or pain? Take this drug. Does it make you have another symptom? Here's another drug. Oh, and now you'll need these three other drugs (and help in remembering when to take them).

Yes, chemicals can save lives and make people better. But seniors are becoming a drugged up group of people - a real boon to big pharma.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread