HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » I had a transvaginal ultr...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:20 AM

I had a transvaginal ultrasound: My perspective on the mandate that touched off 2012's War On Women

I had a transvaginal ultrasound: My perspective on the mandate that touched off 2012′s War On Women
By Megan Carpentier

It was vigorously uncomfortable — more than a typical pelvic exam, with which most women are very familiar. In part, it’s more uncomfortable because the technician has to press the wand directly against the areas she wants to get an image of — your uterus, Fallopian tubes and ovaries — so there’s more movement and more direct contact with pressure-sensitive areas of your body; you’re also not lying flat on your back to facilitate access to the upper reaches of your vagina; and you’re being penetrated with a longer, rigid object than is used in a regular pelvic exam. ... If I had been pregnant (which I knew I was not), the exam might have lasted longer as she looked to rule out an ectopic pregnancy and locate the miniscule gestational sac.

It was not, however, like being raped, despite all the furor-generating headlines and "Doonesbury" cartoons that were printed. It was uncomfortable to the point of being painful, emotionally triggering (and undoubtedly is moreso for victims of rape or incest or any woman in the midst of an already-emotional experience) and something that no government should force its citizens to undergo to make a political point.

more:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/04/17/i-had-a-transvaginal-ultrasound-my-perspective-on-the-mandate-that-touched-off-2012s-war-on-women/

10 replies, 1750 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply I had a transvaginal ultrasound: My perspective on the mandate that touched off 2012's War On Women (Original post)
kpete Apr 2012 OP
seabeyond Apr 2012 #1
Live and Learn Apr 2012 #2
saras Apr 2012 #3
avebury Apr 2012 #4
stopbush Apr 2012 #5
polly7 Apr 2012 #6
madmom Apr 2012 #7
Rozlee Apr 2012 #8
MountainLaurel Apr 2012 #9
LASlibinSC Apr 2012 #10

Response to kpete (Original post)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:25 AM

1. "It was vigorously uncomfortable" = painful. implement pain as punishment... what does that =

a law that is about torture for a behavior. that is what this law is and a nation has become.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:34 AM

2. Of course it wasn't like being raped for her

she volunteered to have it entered in to her body. More precisely she got paid to do it. So it wouldn't be rape, it would be ...

My question is, what kind of a doctor orders an unnecessary medical procedure so that a reporter can write a story?

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:02 AM

3. Megan: You chose to have one - that already puts you in a special group

You have a REALLY STRONG INTEREST in minimizing its effect, whether you admit it or not.

Or, to put it bluntly, having signed up for it voluntarily, how bad would it have to have been before you WOULD classify it as a rape if it is imposed on people who have no need or desire for such a medical intervention?

Remember, it has nothing to do with whether it's a necessary, or desirable, or useful, medical process. It quite clearly is not in the cases it is being imposed on people for.

Having a leg amputated isn't traumatic, either, if you sign up for it as the best medical option. But taking off strangers' legs?

For some people, the quality of their sex life and emotional center will go down radically, possibly for years, after such an experience. Some people are less sensitive. Some of them even argue that rape itself isn't that bad.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:09 AM

4. The definition of rape is the insertion of

an instrument against the will of the woman. If the woman does not want to have the transvaginal ultrasound then she is in fact being raped.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 11:24 AM

5. "something that no government should force its citizens to undergo to make a political point."

In fact, that "political point' is a religious point. It's the Christianistas who are pushing for these government-approved rapes as a bludgeon to dissuade women from having an abortion. And in this country, 99.999% of opposition to abortion is based on Christian belief systems. Ergo, this is a political point only because all religion is at its core political.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:03 PM

6. I had one d/t endometriosis.

It was painful, and beyond humiliating. A call went throughout the hospital to get all the medical students to come in and watch ..... which scared me to death. It was one of the most horrible experiences of my life.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:26 PM

7. I also have had one and "vigorously uncomfortable" has got to be the

understatement of the year. IT FUCKING HURTS!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to madmom (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 02:24 PM

8. Same here.

For ovarian cysts. I had no idea what they were talking about when they described the procedure to me. When I saw that awful wand with it's large condom on it, I gulped and commented, "Is that ribbed for my pleasure?" It was a flat attempt at humor and at a couple of points, tears came into my eyes as the tech, a female, scraped against pelvic bones and swung the wand in wide arcs. And they don't even need TVU to let a woman view a fetus through ultrasound! They can do it just as easily by pressing her belly with a transducer the way it's done with every other pregnant woman who's ever seen her fetus in her OB's office using ultrasound. It's just the humiliation factor.

Reply to this post

Response to madmom (Reply #7)

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 04:29 PM

9. That was my reaction as well

I couldn't imagine being forced to undergo one for no medically indicated reason.

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 27, 2012, 08:24 PM

10. Hell, the techs

don't even like to administer TVUS. Most women do tear up.To do this without cause is barbaric. I don't know any Dr. That would order this procedure unless it was needed.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread