HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Photos Show U.S. Soldiers...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:21 AM

Photos Show U.S. Soldiers Posed With Afghan Body Parts

By Graham Bowley and Alissa J. Rubin
The New York Times
April 19, 2012

KABUL - Photographs apparently showing United States soldiers posing with body parts of dead insurgents drew strong condemnation on Wednesday from American officials including Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta and the commander of international forces in Afghanistan.

The Los Angeles Times published on the front page of its early editions a photograph of what it described as a soldier from the Army's 82nd Airborne with a dead insurgent's hand on his shoulder. It said the photograph was one of 18 of soldiers posing with the corpses of insurgent fighters given to the newspaper by a soldier who served in Afghanistan with the 82nd Airborne's Fourth Brigade Combat Team from Fort Bragg, N.C. The newspaper said the Afghan died planting a bomb, citing police.

The story was later posted to the newspaper's Web site with another photograph of soldiers posing with the dismembered legs on another insurgent held upright by ropes.

The photographs were believed to have been taken in 2010, according to a spokeswoman for international forces in Afghanistan. She said it was not yet clear where the photographs had been taken, the number of service personnel involved nor whether they were still serving in the military.

More: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/04/19/world/asia/us-condemns-photo-of-soldiers-posing-with-body-parts.xml

6 replies, 1335 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Photos Show U.S. Soldiers Posed With Afghan Body Parts (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Apr 2012 OP
sad sally Apr 2012 #1
UnrepentantLiberal Apr 2012 #2
sad sally Apr 2012 #3
UnrepentantLiberal Apr 2012 #4
sad sally Apr 2012 #5
UnrepentantLiberal Apr 2012 #6

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Wed Apr 18, 2012, 04:52 PM

1. When will the President realize the dehumanizing that's occurring in Afghanistan (and previously in

Iraq) is creating a monster society in the United States?

Urinating on dead people, kill teams that execute innocent people, posing with dead people, taking body parts as "trophies," the torture chambers of Abu Ghraib, marching civilians ahead of soldiers on roads thought to be filled with land mines, night searches and terrorizing innocent people's homes by destroying everything in it - are all these actions just a few "bad apples" or has a monster society been created that has no use for humans other than their own kind?

What have these 10 going on 11 years done to this society? What has it done to the citizens of Iraq and Afghanistan, or the multiple other countries the US wages non-human drone wars on?

It has dehumanized a generation of people. As Americans back "home" simply shrug and accept this dehumanization they too become dehumanized. They accept this evil as necessary and support the President, regardless of how wrong it is.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sad sally (Reply #1)

Wed Apr 18, 2012, 05:06 PM

2. You could replace Afghanistan/Iraq with Vietnam

and someone would think your post was a c/p of a letter to the editor written in 1968.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #2)

Wed Apr 18, 2012, 05:28 PM

3. I wrote letters to the President and Armed Services Committee members in 1969 calling for an end

of the dehumanizing Vietnam War. I cried every time I read about another young man I knew who had been killed, and hugged my baby son every night as I watched the horrors on tv (news wasn't censored like it is today), praying that this war that had already been going on way too long would be over before he reached 18. I marched with other war protesters and cheered when the 1973 peace accords were signed and most Americans left.

Then the many many sad years followed...so many broken men (and women - mostly nurses - we learned) who had served their country in that dehumanizing war.

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce...nothing learned

Reply to this post

Response to sad sally (Reply #3)

Wed Apr 18, 2012, 06:21 PM

4. I salute you for protesting that war. I was too young to at the time.

This book clued me in on what that war was really like. I read it when I was 18 so it really had an impact on me. Nurses were represented as well. They saw horrible things, and as one said, she had no one to commiserate with when she got home. She finally found some connection when she went to a Vietnam Vet's rally. Of course they all loved her. She said the helicopters that were part of the rally freaked her out though. The sound of Hueys brought back very bad memories.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0425101444?ie=UTF8

Nam: The Vietnam War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Fought There

By Mark Baker

Numerous people who experienced the Vietnam War firsthand share their stories in this oral history. Men and women, officers and draftees, prowar and antiwar veterans, all give personal accounts of the bloodshed they witnessed, and the horrifying circumstances they survived. Grunts recount losing their friends in combat; doctors remember the patients whose lives they desperately tried to save; soldiers try to understand how they could become willing participants in the slaughter of innocent civilians; and veterans, back in the US, discuss dealing with nightmares and a life far away from the constant presence of war.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #4)

Wed Apr 18, 2012, 10:24 PM

5. Here's a good read by the women journalists of that time, if you're interested.

"War Torn: Stories of War from the Women Reporters Who Covered Vietnam"

Written by Tad Bartimus, Denby Fawcett, Jurate Kazickas, Edith Lederer and Ann Mariano

Reply to this post

Response to sad sally (Reply #5)

Wed Apr 18, 2012, 11:24 PM

6. It sounds fascinating.

I'd like to read that. I love non fiction.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread