HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Boehner Backs Out Of Debt...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:43 PM

Boehner Backs Out Of Debt-Limit Deal

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/03/boehner-backs-out-of-debt-limit-deal.php?ref=fpb

Deal schmeel. We can’t spend money..we gave away to the rich...ha, ha, ha!
House Speaker John Boehner lent his full support Thursday to undoing a key part of the debt-limit deal he struck with President Obama and the rest of the congressional leadership last summer.

Republicans in the House, Boehner confirmed, will advance legislation to replace automatic cuts to the defense budget from taking effect on Jan. 1. Those cuts are part of an enforcement mechanism he and a majority of his members agreed to accept, but that would only be triggered if Congress was unable to pass a significant deficit-reduction bill. They included the defense cuts, intended to force GOP cooperation and domestic-spending cuts, intended to force Democratic cooperation.

The GOP’s unwillingness to accept higher tax revenue doomed that effort, and so the automatic cuts — known technically as “sequestration” — are locked in. Now Boehner and the GOP are accelerating efforts to undo the one part of the deal that they don’t like.

“We should never have had the sequester,” Boehner told reporters at his weekly press availability Thursday. “I always thought that the Super Committee had a real chance to do good work, to produce savings so that the sequester wouldn’t kick in. I think that the sequester will hurt our Department of Defense, will hurt our ability to do what Americans believe is our most basic responsibility, and that’s to provide security for the American people. I believe that Secretary Panetta believes the same thing. And for that matter, I think the White House believes that the sequester is totally unacceptable. That’s why the House will act this spring to replace that sequester. And hopefully in some time near in the future the Congress will really act to deal with our long term spending problem and our deficit problem. We can’t keep spending money we don’t have.”
<more>

9 replies, 1513 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Boehner Backs Out Of Debt-Limit Deal (Original post)
Bill USA Mar 2012 OP
3waygeek Mar 2012 #1
savalez Mar 2012 #5
cstanleytech Mar 2012 #7
marmar Mar 2012 #2
savalez Mar 2012 #4
denverbill Mar 2012 #3
Zorro Mar 2012 #6
cstanleytech Mar 2012 #8
Historic NY Mar 2012 #9

Response to Bill USA (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 07:49 PM

1. Boehner pulls out?

I thought the Rethugs were opposed to contraception.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to 3waygeek (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:57 PM

5. :)

Reply to this post

Response to 3waygeek (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 02:40 AM

7. If only his father had ....sigh

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 08:00 PM

2. Has there ever been a more useless, ineffective Speaker than Boehnhead?

nt

Reply to this post

Response to marmar (Reply #2)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:55 PM

4. Nope.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:04 PM

3. FU Boner. You useless slaves to Norquist and ALEC refused to raise taxes or compromise at all.

Damn I hate these weaselly little shits.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 10:51 PM

6. Obama has the upper hand here

and hopefully he and the Democrats will pound the shit out of Republicants for not negotiating in good faith, and for refusing to compromise on raising taxes on the 1% to get through the impending budget crunch.

If the Democrats play their cards well, voters will be so thoroughly sick of every Republicant that those regressive, subversive assholes will be thrown out of office en masse. But we'll see; Democrats have a quite successful track record at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Reply to this post

Response to Zorro (Reply #6)

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 02:41 AM

8. Aye, the dems need to hammer the republicans long and hard on this.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 07:33 AM

9. Republicans aren't interested in a budget that reduces spending....

they interested in a budget that spreads the wealth around to their military and industrial complex buddies, while taking it from social programs.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread