HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Good Reads (Forum) » Capitalism: A Ghost Story
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Mar 20, 2012, 02:24 PM

Capitalism: A Ghost Story

Capitalism: A Ghost Story
By Arundhati Roy

Source: OutlookIndia.comTuesday, March 20, 2012

http://www.zcommunications.org/capitalism-a-ghost-story-by-arundhati-roy

Is it a house or a home? A temple to the new India, or a warehouse for its ghosts? Ever since Antilla arrived on Altamont Road in Mumbai, exuding mystery and quiet menace, things have not been the same. “Here we are,” the friend who took me there said, “Pay your respects to our new Ruler.”

Antilla belongs to India’s richest man, Mukesh Ambani. I had read about this most expensive dwelling ever built, the twenty-seven floors, three helipads, nine lifts, hanging gardens, ballrooms, weather rooms, gymnasiums, six floors of parking, and the six hundred servants. Nothing had prepared me for the vertical lawn—a soaring, 27-storey-high wall of grass attached to a vast metal grid. The grass was dry in patches; bits had fallen off in neat rectangles. Clearly, Trickledown hadn’t worked.

But Gush-Up certainly has. That’s why in a nation of 1.2 billion, India’s 100 richest people own assets equivalent to one-fourth of the GDP.

The word on the street (and in the New York Times) is, or at least was, that after all that effort and gardening, the Ambanis don’t live in Antilla. No one knows for sure. People still whisper about ghosts and bad luck, Vaastu and Feng Shui. Maybe it’s all Karl Marx’s fault. (All that cussing.) Capitalism, he said, “has conjured up such gigantic means of production and of exchange, that it is like the sorcerer who is no longer able to control the powers of the nether world whom he has called up by his spells”. .........

4 replies, 2102 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Capitalism: A Ghost Story (Original post)
polly7 Mar 2012 OP
MindMover Mar 2012 #1
LongTomH Mar 2012 #2
Uncle Joe Mar 2012 #3
LongTomH Mar 2012 #4

Response to polly7 (Original post)

Tue Mar 20, 2012, 03:49 PM

1. Powerful interesting revealing prognosis....and spot on.....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to polly7 (Original post)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 03:15 PM

2. There's no picture of Ambani's mansion with this article..

...but I think someone posted a picture of that monstrosity a few years ago. Someone described it as looking like: "A stack of CD's." I thought it looked like a 'Temple to the God of Bad Taste!"

Reply to this post

Response to LongTomH (Reply #2)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 03:32 PM

3. I believe it was inspired by someone playing with Legos while on acid.

Reply to this post

Response to Uncle Joe (Reply #3)

Wed Mar 21, 2012, 03:46 PM

4. Yeah! That's the pic I remember!

Ghastly!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread