HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Nelson (D-NE) wants inves...

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 06:36 PM

Nelson (D-NE) wants investigation of Phipps (U.S. Department of Justice- closing 166 polling sites)

Source: Omaha World Herald

By Matt Wynn

Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Neb., asked the U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday to investigate Douglas County Election Commissioner Dave Phipps for alleged voter suppression and civil rights violations after closing 166 polling locations.

Nelson's request, sent to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, cited the closings , as well as mailings to 2,000 voters that listed incorrect polling site information, as cause for a "thorough investigation."

"The actions taken by the Douglas County Election Commissioner are of concern to me and my constituents because they are certain to adversely affect those residents living in predominantly minority and low-income communities who wish to vote in the upcoming elections," the letter stated.

Nelson also wrote that concerns directed to Gov. Dave Heineman were ignored or rejected.

Read more: http://www.omaha.com/article/20120411/NEWS01/704119842#nelson-wants-investigation-of-phipps

Read Nelson's letter: http://dataomaha.com/documents/senator-ben-nelson-asks-for-election-commissioner-investigation

11 replies, 3265 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nelson (D-NE) wants investigation of Phipps (U.S. Department of Justice- closing 166 polling sites) (Original post)
Omaha Steve Apr 2012 OP
ForgoTheConsequence Apr 2012 #1
Iliyah Apr 2012 #2
alp227 Apr 2012 #3
goclark Apr 2012 #8
Auntie Bush Apr 2012 #4
aquart Apr 2012 #5
PSPS Apr 2012 #6
progressoid Apr 2012 #7
Daniel537 Apr 2012 #9
Gibby Apr 2012 #10
valerief Apr 2012 #11

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 06:52 PM

1. Way to go Ben.

I guess when you don't care about re-election it makes doing the right thing easier.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 07:07 PM

2. Goppers are trying to steal

the elections, how dare them, jerks.

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #2)

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 07:19 PM

3. Don't you find it amazing how the Other Forum never discusses Weyrich's 1980 speech?

"Now many of our Christians have what I call the goo-goo syndrome -- good government. They want everybody to vote. I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people, they never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."

source: http://crooksandliars.com/2007/06/07/paul-weyrich-goo-goo-syndrome

In fact I first heard Weyrich's speech (specifically this passage) on Thom Hartmann's show.

Actually, go to post 46 here: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2773921/posts

The author of that post falsely equated Weyrich's strategy with the electronic musician Moby impersonating a conservative on message boards. Of course, the CONS want to manipulate the laws to knock potential "lib" voters off the rolls, unlike the supposed pranksters on the left like Moby.

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #2)

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 10:02 AM

8. Groppers are doing more than Trying

Unless we move faster than the turtles we are now -- they WILL steal this election.

That's why they are saying and doing so many evil things - they have laws set in most states and the fix is in.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 08:11 PM

4. Walker did the same thing in MI.

I hope Holder checks that out too. Shows how scared the Rethugs are of this election...doing everything possible to stop the old, poor and young from voting. Let's hope we get all those anti-voting laws Rethug Governers have passed get repealed in time.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 11, 2012, 08:16 PM

5. Hanging offense to me.

The vote is sacred. Steal it and die.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 01:11 AM

6. LOL. Yes, I'm sure "Sleepy" Holder will get right on that!

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 09:54 AM

7. What this article doesn't say is that most of the closings are in North and South Omaha.

Primarily Black and Hispanic areas.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 10:37 AM

9. The bastards will do whatever it takes to win this year.

If Dems don't bring their A-game, don't be surprised if this ends in a 2000-style cluster-fuck yet again.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 11:00 AM

10. Wow - Republicans really do hate America and democracy

That's beyond argument. Republicans do everything they can to bring on a corporate-totalitarian hate state -- their sick vision of an ugly unAmerican "Homeland." Sheesh.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 12, 2012, 12:31 PM

11. I don't understand. Nelson is a DINO.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread