HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Calls Grow for Leader of ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:32 AM

Calls Grow for Leader of Komen to Step Down

Source: NYT

Calls for the resignation of Nancy G. Brinker, the founder and chief executive of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the breast cancer charity, grew Wednesday amid news that a second high-profile executive was leaving the group.

On Tuesday, Dr. Dara P. Richardson-Heron, the chief executive of Komenís Greater New York City affiliate, said she had made a ďpersonal decisionĒ to resign effective April 27.

Katrina McGhee, the executive vice president and chief marketing officer of Komenís national organization, said late last month that she planned to resign in May, also for personal reasons. Ms. McGhee oversees more than 200 corporate partnerships, 140 race events and more than $350 million in annual revenue at Komen. Leslie Aun, a Komen spokeswoman, said Ms. McGhee planned to consult for the group.

The resignations come after a national outcry over Komenís decision earlier this year to eliminate most of its financing for breast cancer education and screening to Planned Parenthood, which runs womenís health clinics that also provide birth control and perform abortions. At the time, the national Komen organization said it had decided not to finance grant applications from organizations under government investigation. Although Planned Parenthood was not the subject of an investigation, a Republican congressman, Cliff Stearns of Florida, was looking into whether the group had spent public money on abortions.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/22/us/calls-grow-for-leader-of-susan-g-komen-for-the-cure-to-resign.html

22 replies, 4725 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply Calls Grow for Leader of Komen to Step Down (Original post)
alp227 Mar 2012 OP
crunch60 Mar 2012 #1
diane in sf Mar 2012 #2
LynneSin Mar 2012 #3
BigDemVoter Mar 2012 #9
SomeGuyInEagan Mar 2012 #5
EFerrari Mar 2012 #6
Sanity Claws Mar 2012 #12
Arugula Latte Mar 2012 #4
crunch60 Mar 2012 #20
Uncle Joe Mar 2012 #7
MicaelS Mar 2012 #8
goclark Mar 2012 #10
IcyPeas Mar 2012 #11
mainer Mar 2012 #16
myrna minx Mar 2012 #13
rocktivity Mar 2012 #14
ChairmanAgnostic Mar 2012 #15
denem Mar 2012 #21
habu1968 Mar 2012 #17
MADem Mar 2012 #18
SunSeeker Mar 2012 #19
Joe Bacon Mar 2012 #22

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:21 AM

1. Nancy Brinker is a corrupt corporate shill, and has been getting very rich

over the years, profiting from her sister's death. It's time she is removed. I despise the month of October and all the disgusting Pink washing marketing extravaganza that takes place. Try to get any "real" help from Komen, like help to pay for expensive Breast Cancer drug's, at home care during treatment, etc. and you are out of luck.
No more "Race for the Cure" time we Raced for Prevention. I wouldn't walk one step for Komen. Give instead to Planned Parenthood.

http://www.breastcancer.org/ Great supportive site.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to crunch60 (Reply #1)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 04:54 AM

2. I agree 100%, good link too.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:03 AM

3. I won't give another dime to this group until she is gone

and replaced by someone who vows to keep politics out of breast cancer research

Reply to this post

Response to LynneSin (Reply #3)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:53 PM

9. You took the words right out

of my mouth!

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:53 AM

5. We're done with Komen ...

No more participation or donations from us, diverting their share toward Planned Parenthood (perhaps in the name of Nancy Brinker).

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:17 PM

6. They've been exposed. It's over.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:11 PM

12. I agree with you 100%

I couldn't believe how much money she takes in salary and bonuses from this "nonprofit." It has been very profitable for her.

I wouldn't give a dime to Komen ever!

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:19 AM

4. Brinker = Stinker

Reply to this post

Response to Arugula Latte (Reply #4)

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 02:07 AM

20. Brinker also had a lot of her elitist, rich friends on board, they enjoyed the huge

salaries they made. The entire organization need's a complete clean out. Start from scratch with people who are really committed to the original goal, change it from "race for the cure" to "Race for Prevention" Brinker never used this word, didn't like it.
A perfume put out by Komen named "Promise Me" had some serious dangerous cancer causing ingredients. BC.org pressured her to remove it from the market, she finally did, but not before thousands of bottles had been sold.
She put a cleaned up version back on the market, but many of the old bottles are still floating around. And KFC's "Buckets for the Cure" really, greasy, hormone laced chickens is just what we need to keep us healthy! She has attached the Komen name to some very dirty products, didn't care, as long as the money was flowing in.

Pink Stinks!

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:27 PM

7. Kicked and recommended.

Thanks for the thread, alp.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:42 PM

8. I'm willing to bet Brinker will allow Komen to be shut down...

Rather than be forced to resign, and leave it running without her. After all, she probably feels it's "her" charity, she created it under her sister's name, and if she isn't running it, then it should cease to exist.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 12:55 PM

10. K and R

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:08 PM

11. Race for the Cure registration down 50%

since last year.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/16/3815886/early-registration-down-sharply.html

similar drop in the Arizona race too.

Reply to this post

Response to IcyPeas (Reply #11)

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 03:27 PM

16. The Komen donation jar at a nearby Starbucks contained about 25 cents

Certainly not the wads of cash it used to have.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:25 PM

13. K&R

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:52 PM

14. The result of a HUGE plummet

in incoming donations? Be still, my heart!~

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 02:56 PM

15. Every time a Board spokesman announces, "We fully support XXXXXX,"

they are already negotiating her upcoming discharge and settlement.

Watch for a new news release, stating that,

"In order to spend more time with her family, or undisclosed health issues, we have been advised that Ms. Brinker is temporarily stepping aside from her long-standing position as the creator and leader of America's biggest and best anti-cancer organization. We are in great debt due to her unflinching and awesome efforts on behalf of women, and cannot express enough the thanks and appreciation we all feel at her contributions to this fine organization. Please join with us in thanking her as she deals with some personal issues not related in any way to her superb performance as our leader.

"We would also like to announce the selection of Ms. Brinker's replacement. His concern and interest in the health of millions of women is so strong that we don't need to repeat his accomplishments here. We, the board of Komen, are honored that he has accepted our invitation to lead this organization, especially in our time of minor reorganization and re-coordination. While our group has never been stronger or more effective, we look forward to him bringing his personal talents and ideas to our group. May we introduce, Senator Rick Santorum!"

Reply to this post

Response to ChairmanAgnostic (Reply #15)

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 07:02 AM

21. We fully support XXX

Will the real Mitt Romney please stand up,
please stand up.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 09:23 PM

17. charities....

Really people, no one should donate a dime to a charity, any charity, that spends nearly 60 cents of every dollar on administration. Brinker knocks down over $430,000 per year. That's ridiculous. And there's a large contingent of high paid officials in thee ranks below her. Check out their financial statement.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:04 PM

18. I think Komen jumped the shark with the PP thing.

I also think they spend too much money on administrative costs and salaries for their board of directors and leadership.

I think it's time for that entire corrupt entity to fold their tent and go off into the sunset--let some other group like Avon or a new charity take over these efforts and do it with an eye towards maximizing cash on the target.

Reply to this post

Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:55 PM

19. K&R

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:27 AM

22. Great job, Karen Handel!

You went in to Komen as part of the GOP plot to kill Planned Parenthood. And you wound up killing off Komen.

Great job you god-damned idiot!

Now, please go into another GOP group and destroy it the same way through your stupidity.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread