HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Iran Sanctions Bill From ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:42 PM

Iran Sanctions Bill From Sens. Bob Menendez And Mark Kirk Could Endanger U.S. Negotiations

Source: Huffington Post

WASHINGTON -- Sens. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) and Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) are threatening to push the United States toward war with Iran, circulating and planning to introduce a sanctions bill despite warnings that it could derail nuclear negotiations at a delicate moment.

International observers and both parties to the negotiations have repeatedly pleaded with Congress to allow the talks to unfold -- warnings that Kirk and Menendez, the chair of the Foreign Relations Committee, appear intent on ignoring. Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) is also part of the effort, though much of the final decision rests with Menendez.

"The White House doesn't want a bill, that's true. Menendez and Kirk are working on it and trying to build the list of cosponsors. Likely to be introduced soon," said a Senate Democratic aide involved in the effort.

The lawmakers are circulating a draft sanctions bill that would target the Iranian petroleum and mining industries, and set up unilateral guidelines for what would constitute compliance.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/19/iran-sanctions-bill_n_4472439.html

more at link, pic has Menendez speaking at AIPAC.

6 replies, 641 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Iran Sanctions Bill From Sens. Bob Menendez And Mark Kirk Could Endanger U.S. Negotiations (Original post)
silvershadow Dec 2013 OP
Comrade Grumpy Dec 2013 #1
TwilightGardener Dec 2013 #2
FiveGoodMen Dec 2013 #4
silvershadow Dec 2013 #6
Dopers_Greed Dec 2013 #3
QuestForSense Dec 2013 #5

Response to silvershadow (Original post)

Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:46 PM

1. Idiocy isn't limited to Republicans.

Menendez should have the smarts and the respect for the executive's role in foreign policy to knock this off. We'll see.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 19, 2013, 12:53 PM

2. "Could endanger" or "Meant to derail"?

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 19, 2013, 01:12 PM

4. I think it's the latter

Reply to this post

Response to FiveGoodMen (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 19, 2013, 02:19 PM

6. I am sure of it. nt

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 19, 2013, 01:07 PM

3. No surprise that Schumer is involved

He's one of the Wall $treet Dem$. I wonder how much they stand to make from war with Iran.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 19, 2013, 01:39 PM

5. Kirk is the lesser one of my two senators.

I've voted against him every single time to no avail. For some reason he appeals to Rahm Emanuel-type Democrats with some money who consider themselves fiscally conservative. And here's their thanks. Whether he's a 'friend' to Israel or not, or whether he may seem 'reasonable' on social issues from time to time, make no mistake: he is a dangerous idealogue, and does not belong in any position of power. Especially upon his return after his stroke, when we had to watch him painfully climb the steps of the Capitol: pity is always the hook of the psychopath, and he is one. I leave it to others to comment on those two other whores, Menendez and Schumer.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread