HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Florida State’s Winston I...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 5, 2013, 06:55 PM

Florida State’s Winston Is Not Charged

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Tx4obama (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: NY TIMES

Jameis Winston, the Florida State quarterback who was a leading contender for the Heisman Trophy as the nation’s top player before accusations of sexual assault surfaced, will not face charges, the state attorney for Florida’s Second Judicial Circuit said Thursday.

William N. Meggs, the state attorney who took over the investigation last month from the Tallahassee Police Department, said there was not enough evidence to obtain a conviction.

“We have a duty as prosecutors to determine if each case has a reasonable likelihood of conviction,” said Meggs, who added that the evidence was carefully examined. “After reviewing the facts in this case, we do not feel that we can reach those burdens.”

Winston, 19, has been the most dominant player in college football this season, and his Florida State team is undefeated and a contender for the national championship. But ever since a sexual assault allegation by a former Florida State student became public last month, his on-field exploits have been weighed against how law enforcement in a rabid college football community handled the investigation as well as the role character plays in awarding one of sport’s most iconic awards: the Heisman Trophy.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/06/sports/ncaafootball/investigation-into-florida-states-winston-draws-to-a-close.html?hp

I sincerly hope Mr. Meggs is telling the truth.

That this decision was based on the law and not due to who Mr. Winston is.

4 replies, 356 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Florida State’s Winston Is Not Charged (Original post)
iandhr Dec 2013 OP
Mika Dec 2013 #1
OKNancy Dec 2013 #2
BadtotheboneBob Dec 2013 #3
Tx4obama Dec 2013 #4

Response to iandhr (Original post)

Thu Dec 5, 2013, 07:04 PM

1. Evidence of the case here ...

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 5, 2013, 07:07 PM

2. I watched the news conference

He couldn't express an opinion, but from what read into it... The young woman had trouble remembering things and her story had some holes in it. She had two different DNA (semen) samples taken from her clothing.. one from her boyfriend and one from Winston.
Anyway, I think Meggs thinks there was an assault, but he just can't prove it. That's what I got from the way he answered questions.

Thu Dec 5, 2013, 07:09 PM

3. Oh, so hard...

... to not be cynical. But, must remember I don't know the facts.

Thu Dec 5, 2013, 07:15 PM

4. Locking, sorry. LBN Dupe. Please continue discussion on LBN link below