HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » NSA Justifies Hacking Wor...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 07:27 PM

NSA Justifies Hacking World's Digital Communications...

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Turborama (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: The Register

The NSA has published a statement explaining why US spies have been studying, infiltrating, and subverting so many of the digital technologies upon which people depend.

The statement, "Why the Intelligence Community Seeks to Understand Online Communication Tools & Technologies", was published by the US Office of the Director of National Intelligence on Friday, shortly after news broke that the NSA has spent years trying to crack the anonymous Tor communications network.

"The articles fail to make clear that the Intelligence Community's interest in online anonymity services and other online communication and networking tools is based on the undeniable fact that these are the tools our adversaries use to communicate and coordinate attacks against the United States and our allies," the NSA wrote...

...The statement goes on to note that "the Intelligence Community is only interested in communication related to valid foreign intelligence and counterintelligence purposes and that we operate within a strict legal framework that prohibits accessing information related to the innocent online activities of US citizens."...

Read more: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/04/nsa_spying_statement/

19 replies, 1096 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply NSA Justifies Hacking World's Digital Communications... (Original post)
Indi Guy Oct 2013 OP
Shivering Jemmy Oct 2013 #1
mike_c Oct 2013 #2
Indi Guy Oct 2013 #18
Indi Guy Oct 2013 #8
SamKnause Oct 2013 #3
Jack Rabbit Oct 2013 #4
Name removed Oct 2013 #10
Jack Rabbit Oct 2013 #12
Indi Guy Oct 2013 #14
NoodleyAppendage Oct 2013 #15
Indi Guy Oct 2013 #17
Uncle Joe Oct 2013 #16
AnotherMcIntosh Oct 2013 #5
geomon666 Oct 2013 #6
RC Oct 2013 #7
Name removed Oct 2013 #9
blkmusclmachine Oct 2013 #11
Jesus Malverde Oct 2013 #13
Turborama Oct 2013 #19

Response to Indi Guy (Original post)

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 07:29 PM

1. So do I

Spying on other countries is an excellent idea. This is the NSAs job.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Shivering Jemmy (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 07:39 PM

2. I believe there's a big difference between gathering intel on military or industrial capacity...

...and hoovering up any and all private communications and data from innocent citizens-- of ANY country. The former is legitimate spying and prudent. The latter is an egregious invasion of personal privacy and is GUARANTEED to be abused. If it hasn't been abused yet, it will be. Count on it.

Response to mike_c (Reply #2)

Sat Oct 5, 2013, 08:33 AM

18. I don't know why it's so difficult for some...

...to understand that the adage is unquestionably true that, "Power corrupts; and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

If gone unchecked, there is no authority given any person or agency that will not be abused sooner or later. In fact, an agency will likely likely sooner drift into corruption of its own expedient momentum; whereas the individual may be longer bound by the restraints of conscience.

Any agency, however noble its stated purpose, which is unaccountable to legal and moral restraint is on the fast track to utter perversion of its mission. History is replete with example after example.

Response to Shivering Jemmy (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 09:39 PM

8. Yeah but it's not their job to illegally turn the spy apparatus on American citizens...

...and that's exactly what's happening -- on a vast scale. Do you agree with the NSA that this is OK?

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 07:48 PM

3. NSA

The only terrorists this country has to fear are already deeply embedded in this country.

You don't have to be a spy to find them.

You don't have to spy on the citizens of this country.

We the people know where they are.

They are in DC.

Their identities are known.

They are politicians.

Their illegal activities are widely known.

They associate with the other American terrorists, Wall Street CEOs.

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 07:53 PM

4. Stop reading my e-mail, fuckheads. This is non-negotiable.

You only know that those with whom I communicate have nothing to do with Islamic terrorists, Irish Republican terrorists or American Republican terrorists if you look at my communications. If you have some reason to believe that I've been planning something awful with Ayman al-Zawahiri, then you can get warrant. Otherwise, bug out.

Response to Jack Rabbit (Reply #4)

Response to Name removed (Reply #10)

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 11:37 PM

12. So, how do they know which e-mails contain KEY WORDS unless they go through the ones that don't?

Are they clairvoyant?

In order to find out if I've writte "Hey bff wan2 blow up the capitol bldg 2nite?" they have to find it first among all the much more mundane e-mails I write. Even then, any criminal conspiracy, just like any intelligence communication, is going to contain code words to make it all sound mundane. Perhaps "Hey bff wan2 go 2 movies 2night?" means "The big drug deal is going down tonight; meet me in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater." There would be no KEY WORDS in the message.

In short, I do not believe the government can impose surveillance of this magnitude without violating the Fourth Amendment, nor do I believe there is any substitute for solid police work to uncover such plots. Once that police work provides leads, then they can get a warrant like they're supposed to and find out more.

Sat Oct 5, 2013, 12:07 AM

14. Not so fast there newbie. Checkout this partial list of keywords the spooks look for...

Response to Indi Guy (Reply #14)

Sat Oct 5, 2013, 12:28 AM

15. I propose a random generator for sorts for all US citizens that includes one of those target words.

Pork? Seriously.

Response to NoodleyAppendage (Reply #15)

Sat Oct 5, 2013, 02:48 AM

17. Here you go...

The government is listening to your internets. Generate a sentence with some of the keywords they're looking for. Tweet or share and you could earn a new follower in Washington. -- http://nsa.motherboard.tv/

Also, you can send this message to your friends:

Hey! Howís it going? Iím all right.

My job is so stressful I wish I could overthrow my boss. Itís like this oppressive regime where only true believers in his management techniques will stay around. I work marathon-length hours and heís made all these changes that have made it the worst architecture firm to work at in Manhattan. Like he moved the office to the Financial District and fired my assistant. She was the only one who knew where the blueprints were! I need access to those blueprints to complete my job! F my life, right? And he keeps trying to start all these new initiatives to boost revenue, but seriously we just need to stick to what we do best. Thereís only one true profit center. I seriously feel ready to go on strike at any second.

I just read this article about how these free radical particles can cause the downfall of good health and accelerate aging. These could actually cause death to millions of Americans. If these particles are flying around undetected everywhere, does that mean weíre all radicalized?

Have you seen the second season of Breaking Bad? I just finished it. I couldnít believe that episode where they poison the guy with ricin! That was the bomb! I wonít say any more because I donít want to reveal the earth-shattering events to come.

Oh! So Iíve been planning a big trip for the summer. Iím thinking of visiting all of the most famous suspension bridges in the United States. So probably like the Golden Gate Bridge, The Brooklyn Bridge, and the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Iím gonna bring my younger brother and I know heíll want to go to bars, so Iím thinking of getting him a fake drivers license, but I hope that doesnít blow up in my face.

Okay, I gotta run! Iím late for flight school. I missed the last class where we learn how to land, so I really canít miss another one. Talk to you later!

Sat Oct 5, 2013, 01:12 AM

16. "No reports of abuse has ever been detected?"

This is just from one low level employee.

On a thread from Indi Guy.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014604898

NSA Employee Spied on Nine Women Without Detection, Internal File Shows...
Source: the guardian

A National Security Agency employee was able to secretly intercept the phone calls of nine foreign women for six years without ever being detected by his managers, the agency's internal watchdog has revealed.

The unauthorised abuse of the NSA's surveillance tools only came to light after one of the women, who happened to be a US government employee, told a colleague that she suspected the man Ė with whom she was having a sexual relationship Ė was listening to her calls.

The case is among 12 documented in a letter from the NSA's inspector general to a leading member of Congress, who asked for a breakdown of cases in which the agency's powerful surveillance apparatus was deliberately abused by staff. One relates to a member of the US military who, on the first day he gained access to the surveillance system, used it to spy on six email addresses belonging to former girlfriends.

The letter, from Dr George Ellard, only lists cases that were investigated and later "substantiated" by his office. But it raises the possibility that there are many more cases that go undetected. In a quarter of the cases, the NSA only found out about the misconduct after the employee confessed...

Don't delude yourself in to believing a modern day Joe McCarthy, Jay Edgar Hoover or Richard Nixon wouldn't abuse this on a massive scale for political purposes.

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 07:58 PM

5. There is one justification that trumps all others: "The Republicans are worse."

* Would you rather have McCain?
* Would you rather have Palin?
* Would you rather have Romney?
* Would you rather have Ryan?

That's how easy it is.

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 08:39 PM

6. "The appearance of law must be upheld, especially when it's being broken." n/t

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 08:40 PM

7. Not true, proven false, lies, not factual, untrue, fabrication, whopper, misrepresentation, misrepre

"the Intelligence Community is only interested in communication related to valid foreign intelligence and counterintelligence purposes and that we operate within a strict legal framework that prohibits accessing information related to the innocent online activities of US citizens."...

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 11:01 PM

11. Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange.

Fri Oct 4, 2013, 11:59 PM

13. Infecting computers with man in the middle attacks enabled with the cooperation of the telcoms...

"we operate within a strict legal framework that prohibits accessing information related to the innocent online activities of US citizens."

Once you are no longer "innocent", you are fair game.

Sat Oct 5, 2013, 09:55 AM

19. Hi, Indi Guy.

I'm locking this as it's LBN hosts' consensus this article violates the SOP because it is an analysis/opinion piece.

It would fit very well in GD and/or Good Reads, though.