HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Tony Blairís Wife Cherie ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:51 PM

Tony Blairís Wife Cherie Sues News Corp., Convicted Phone Hacker Mulcaire

Former U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blairís wife Cherie sued News Corp. (NWSA) and a former private investigator who hacked into celebritiesí voice-mail messages to get stories for its now-defunct News of the World tabloid.

The lawsuit, filed yesterday against the companyís U.K. unit and Glenn Mulcaire, comes as News Corp. prepares for the first civil trial over the scandal, scheduled to start Feb. 27 in London. The company has already settled phone-hacking claims by Blairís former press chief, Alastair Campbell, and former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott.
ďIf it is true that a former prime ministerís family have been targeted by Rupert Murdochís hackers, then it is clearly a significant moment in the scandal,Ē Tom Watson, a Labour Party lawmaker who is on a parliamentary committee investigating the scandal, said in an e-mail.

A message left with the press office of News Corp.ís U.K. unit, News International, wasnít immediately returned. Mulcaireís lawyer, Sarah Webb, didnít immediately return a call seeking comment. Full details of the suit arenít yet available.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-22/tony-blair-s-wife-cherie-sues-news-corp-convicted-phone-hacker-mulcaire.html

Tony Blair is godfather to Murdoch's daughter: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14785501

Alastair Campbell: phone hacking 'possibly' revealed Cherie Blair's pregnancy (though that was first revealed by the Mirror, not a Murdoch paper)

3 replies, 1462 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tony Blairís Wife Cherie Sues News Corp., Convicted Phone Hacker Mulcaire (Original post)
muriel_volestrangler Feb 2012 OP
bluedigger Feb 2012 #1
gratuitous Feb 2012 #2
LeftishBrit Feb 2012 #3

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Original post)

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 12:52 PM

1. Excellent!

I love it when they eat their own.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 01:13 PM

2. Hmmmmm

I wonder if this has anything to do with Mr. Blair's sickening turn to sycophancy during the Bush The Stupider Years? Was he being blackmailed, or his family threatened? I wonder if the folks who pocketed so much money during those years of News Corp.'s operations will ever be called to account? Or does the Family Murdoch have enough dirt on everyone to keep themselves beyond the reach of the law?

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 22, 2012, 06:15 PM

3. Excellent news!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread