HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » UN: Syria War Has Caused ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 08:41 PM

UN: Syria War Has Caused One Million Child Refugees

Source: VoA

Lisa Schlein

August 23, 2013
GENEVA, SWITZERLAND — The United Nations reports one million Syrian children are refugees from conflict in their country.

Two U.N. agencies say Syria’s war, which is well into its third year, is the most serious crisis facing children today. They say children make up half of all the Syrian refugees who have fled to neighboring countries and increasingly to North Africa and Europe.

U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres said the children arrive in countries of asylum traumatized, depressed and angry.

“If one looks at the number of refugee children, if one adds about 2 million children that are internally displaced inside Syria and the millions that are trapped in their villages, in their cities in the middle of a war, we can really talk of the enormous risk of Syria facing the problem of a lost generation,” said Guterres ...

Read more: http://www.voanews.com/content/un-one-million-children-have-fled-troubled-syria/1735340.html

1 replies, 553 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply UN: Syria War Has Caused One Million Child Refugees (Original post)
struggle4progress Aug 2013 OP
obama2terms Aug 2013 #1

Response to struggle4progress (Original post)

Sat Aug 24, 2013, 07:26 AM

1. Is there ANY site we can go to to donate?

Like a good site? I always worry that only like 5% of the money I donate will actually be helping people, and the rest going to administrative costs.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread