HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Scientology Flack Arreste...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 06:14 PM

Scientology Flack Arrested in Plot to Kill Cop

Source: Gawker

Las Vegas police officers have arrested a high-ranking Scientologist in a bizarre plot—allegedly inspired by right-wing "Sovereign Citizen" beliefs—to kidnap and kill a local law enforcement officer.

Devon Campbell Newman, 67, became the public relations director of Scientology’s “Celebrity Center” in Las Vegas, Nevada, early in 2010 and has remained in that position to the present day — that’s according to her own LinkedIn profile as well as numerous online records of her activities as a Scientologist. This week, she became known for something else. As a result of a police investigation that began in April, on Tuesday Newman and a six-time felon and registered sex offender named David Allen Brutsche, 42, were arrested for planning what police are calling a bizarre plot to kidnap and kill a random local police officer in a macabre publicity stunt to promote their “sovereign citizen” views.

The arrest and its strange details quickly made news yesterday, but Newman’s position with Scientology wasn’t mentioned. Then, last night, we were tipped by Las Vegas television journalist Nathan Baca about Newman’s role in the church. He plans to have a full report later today. But for now, we have some preliminary information about Newman’s Scientology career, and the trouble she currently finds herself in...

Read more: http://gawker.com/scientology-flack-arrested-in-plot-to-kill-cop-1188941437

A new wrinkle in this already bizarre story. Scientology and the Sovereign Citizen movement combine. Wow.

15 replies, 2347 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to blogslut (Original post)

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 06:24 PM

1. Curiouser and curiouser.

Recently fled celebrities haven't mentioned a large connection between the bogu$ church and its pooh-bahs, but this shows they need a little closer monitoring than you can bet they'll be comfortable with.

Chances are this is just a sicko dragging his girlfriend down with him, Brutsche looks the part.

It should be a loud wakeup call to the government that the danger to the country isn't from the left, it's from the far right.

You know, the paranoid loons getting all that billionaire money to whip up hate among the intellectually feeble.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Warpy (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 06:39 PM

2. Oh, I doubt the innocent girlfriend aspect

I'm willing to bet that Ms. Newman knew exactly what was going on and likely was a planner as opposed to a follower.

Reply to this post

Response to blogslut (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 06:45 PM

4. She was sucked into being just as loony as he was

I thought I made that clear.

She actively participated in this. She is no innocent.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #4)

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 06:52 PM

5. I don't see the clarity.

The phrases "dragged into" and "sucked into", to me, imply the woman was manipulated by a man. Is it not possible the man was manipulated by the woman?

I know the point is small in the grand scheme, but, well...

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 06:43 PM

3. Scientology is all about ultra-control and no privacy for cult members. Fits RW Authoritarian kooks.

Reply to this post

Response to Bernardo de La Paz (Reply #3)

Sat Aug 24, 2013, 03:10 PM

14. I don't understand the connection.

A Sovereign Citizen in the authoritarian Scientology cult? I don't see the logic in that.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 06:52 PM

6. A long time ago, I saw a Libertarian Party bumper sticker on a car outside a Scientology church

This was about the time the Libertarians started ditching people like COYOTE in favor of right-wing decentralization advocates.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 07:01 PM

7. That is one messed up Harold and Maude. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 07:04 PM

8. Scientology's Desert Alien Landing Strip!

Everything is connected. Follow the crazy. Scientologists are from outer space - they're beyond human!

EXCLUSIVE: Pictured up close for the first time, Scientology's 'alien space cathedral and spaceship landing pad' built in the New Mexico desert for the "return of followers after Armageddon on Earth"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395235/EXCLUSIVE-Pictured-close-time-Scientologys-secret-alien-space-cathedral-landing-pad-New-Mexico-desert-return-followers-Armageddon-Earth.html

Reply to this post

Response to agent46 (Reply #8)

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 07:44 PM

9. I normally loathe the Daily Mail but I kinda love that article

It's really clear they're trying to tweak the Scientologists there.

Reply to this post

Response to Posteritatis (Reply #9)

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 07:59 PM

10. The Daily Mail

The Daily Mail has its perverse appeal.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 23, 2013, 09:06 PM

11. Scientology and the connection to the CNP

Reply to this post

Response to formercia (Reply #11)

Sat Aug 24, 2013, 09:00 AM

12. Wow, first I've heard of anything like that!

Truly an odd bunch of happenings

Reply to this post

Response to 7962 (Reply #12)

Sat Aug 24, 2013, 10:30 AM

13. Birds of a Feather, Fly Together.

All the Control Freaks saw a Common Ground. This has been going on for a long time.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 24, 2013, 03:51 PM

15. If Scientology got on some terrorist group list that might help present and prospective members

see the organization more clearly.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread