HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Leaked Documents Show Eff...

Sat Feb 18, 2012, 12:00 AM

Leaked Documents Show Effort To Influence Walker Recall

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by dmr (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Leaked Documents Show Effort To Influence Walker Recall
Scott Walker, Targeted For A Recall, Which Heartland Institute Aims To Fight, Documents Show

WASHINGTON -- Recently leaked documents show that a Chicago-based conservative think tank plans to spend money on an issue-advocacy campaign timed to influence a potential recall election of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican, which could happen as early as April. The proposed campaign highlights the invisible hand that nonprofits, shielded from disclosure laws, can wield in electoral politics.

According to documents leaked and posted to DeSmogBlog, the Heartland Institute has budgeted $612,000 for a Wisconsin campaign called Operation Angry Badger. The campaign consists of an effort to inform voters of the success of Walker's budget law, passed on June 26, that included a reduction in the collective bargaining rights of workers in public employee unions. The budget sparked a labor-led protest movement that has consumed Wisconsin politics over the past year.

The leaked budget document describes Operation Angry Badger as "a research and education project built to take advantage of the public interest in Wisconsinís Act 10 generated by recall elections that could take place." The plan includes print and Web advertising to help publicize Walker's changes to collective bargaining rights and what the institute claims are the high salaries of public school teachers and poor educational results within Wisconsin's schools. The group also proposes creating blogs during a potential recall election to counter local newspaper and media reports on the Walker budget, school teacher salaries and public employee unions.

"The stolen documents appear to have been written by Heartlandís president for a board meeting that took place on January 17," the Heartland Institute wrote in a statement. "The stolen documents were obtained by an unknown person who fraudulently assumed the identity of a Heartland board member and persuaded a staff member here to 're-send' board materials to a new email address." The institute also claims that certain leaked documents are fraudulent, although it did not assert this about the budget with details about Operation Angry Badger.

more:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/17/scott-walker-heartland-institute_n_1285100.html?ref=politics

3 replies, 1843 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Leaked Documents Show Effort To Influence Walker Recall (Original post)
kpete Feb 2012 OP
midnight Feb 2012 #1
teddy51 Feb 2012 #2
Bozita Feb 2012 #3

Response to kpete (Original post)

Sat Feb 18, 2012, 12:23 AM

1. Another hit on teachers. I would love to see the corporate world be as effective as our teachers

are being right now... I forget the size that the classrooms had to grow to compensate for monies stolen from our kids so Walker could enrich his friends,but it makes me more respectful of these teachers not less. I wonder if these chamber of commerce do gooders could refrain long enough to help our kids out, before they ruin this generation with stealing from our children and blaming the teachers?

I don't know how many more teacher's salaries 610,000 would pay for, but invest in our kids, not propaganda....

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 18, 2012, 12:25 AM

2. It's not likely to help him, with any luck he will be behind bars before the recall! n/t

Sat Feb 18, 2012, 12:41 AM

3. All join in now...

Scotty, We're Coming for You!

&feature=related