HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Nobody understands’ spill...

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 03:04 PM

Nobody understands’ spills at Alberta oil sands operation

Source: Toronto Star

Oil spills at a major oil sands operation in Alberta have been ongoing for at least six weeks and have cast doubts on the safety of underground extraction methods, according to documents obtained by the Star and a government scientist who has been on site.

Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. has been unable to stop an underground oil blowout that has killed numerous animals and contaminated a lake, forest, and muskeg at its operations in Cold Lake, Alta.

The documents indicate that, since cleanup started in May, some 26,000 barrels of bitumen mixed with surface water have been removed, including more than 4,500 barrels of bitumen.

Photos provided by a government scientist show the site of an oil spill in Cold Lake, Alta. The company that runs the operation says it is effectively managing the cleanup.

The scientist said Canadian Natural Resources is not disclosing the scope of spills in four separate sites, which have been off bounds to media and the public because the operations are on the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range, where there is active weapons testing by the Canadian military.

Read more: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/07/19/nobody_understands_ongoing_spills_at_alberta_oilsands_operation.html

This is the source of the XL pipeline,. it can only get better from here right?

note; muskeg = bog -a Canadian word adopted from the Cree.

16 replies, 2843 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nobody understands’ spills at Alberta oil sands operation (Original post)
Civilization2 Jul 2013 OP
Berlum Jul 2013 #1
classof56 Jul 2013 #3
admonish Jul 2013 #13
PatrynXX Jul 2013 #12
wordpix Jul 2013 #16
mbperrin Jul 2013 #2
Civilization2 Jul 2013 #4
jwirr Jul 2013 #5
Civilization2 Jul 2013 #7
jwirr Jul 2013 #9
AdHocSolver Jul 2013 #8
mbperrin Jul 2013 #11
underpants Jul 2013 #6
u4ic Jul 2013 #10
wordpix Jul 2013 #14
wordpix Jul 2013 #15

Response to Civilization2 (Original post)

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 03:31 PM

1. Oil Sands = Stupid, greedy dumbass trashing of our planet to profit a few !% wankers

The freaking trashing of the planet begins with the oil sands, and then reaches far and wide via pooplines...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Berlum (Reply #1)

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 04:55 PM

3. Probably just me, but when I look at this photo, I see the face of an elephant.

Ears, eyes, trunk extended...

Yeah, it's probably just me, but seems so a propos somehow. Not to mention sickening. I know, there's no GOP in Canada, but still...

Tired Old Cynic

Reply to this post

Response to classof56 (Reply #3)

Mon Jul 22, 2013, 10:09 AM

13. Steve W. Harper is as GOP as anyone y'all gots.. /nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2013, 01:49 AM

12. not sure Mad Max coulda thought this puke up

Bit short on gas oh lets go for the tar..

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2013, 09:31 PM

16. 2011 fire at one of this company's plants injured five workers

http://www.cnrl.com/upload/media_element/371/02/0110-horizon-upgrader-incident-further-update.pdf

Canadian Natural Resources Limited ("Canadian Natural" or the “Company") is providing this third
update regarding the fire that occurred on January 6, 2011 at its Horizon Primary Upgrader.
Investigations by Occupational Health and Safety ("OH&S") and the Canadian Natural Investigation
team have been underway since the incident occurred. In addition, Canadian Natural has had a
Recovery team in place since January 7, 2011 which has begun planning the work to repair and
reinstate the equipment and derrick infrastructure damaged by the fire.

The following is an updated summary:

 The fire occurred at approximately 3:30 pm on January 6, 2011 at the top of coke drum 1 B (1 of 4
coke drums used on the Horizon site numbered 1 A, 1 B, 2 A and 2 B), an area commonly referred to
as the cutting deck. The fire burned for approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes and was allowed to
burn itself out, which is the safest way to manage this type of fire.

 Five workers were injured during the incident. Four of which were medically cleared on January 6,
2011. One worker remains in hospital in Edmonton and is in stable condition.

 Air monitoring at the Horizon site and areas around the site, including Fort McKay, has b

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 04:24 PM

2. "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not

understanding it. " - Upton Sinclair.

I was in the wellhead business for more than a decade in a management position, and what these people are doing is totally unconscionable.

The reason they don't know how to stop it is because it cannot be stopped.

Think of petro products as being contained in a pinata. You could make a little hole in the pinata, put a pipe in it and empty the pinata that way, which is how conventional wellbore technology has worked for about 150 years.

Or you could pump high pressure into the pinata and make the pipe flow faster. This is what conventional fracking did - loosened the immediate (several dozen feet) area around a perforated borehole. That's been done for 50 or so years.

Now put in so much pressure that the pinata explodes. How will you contain it? You won't. When 100% of the candy is on the ground, it will stop.

That's precisely what today's greedy buggers have done - they've overpressured these formations without knowing exactly where and what is being fractured. This current insult will not quit until all the pressure in the entire formation is exhausted, because the product is not coming through the borehole, but through actual cracks in the ground all the way down to where the petrochemicals are.

Hopefully, this will bankrupt these companies so that this uncontrolled and uncontrollable technique stops.

Reply to this post

Response to mbperrin (Reply #2)

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 05:45 PM

4. Thanks for sharing your wisdom on this,. yes it is an incredibly stupid idea!

Greed makes people do the dumbest sht.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 05:57 PM

5. And unfortunately it is not just the worker. When the average American is asked to pay more for

their oil, gas or electricity they are not that happy with making changes either. Most of us do not even see that there is an alternative. How we are ever going to get people behind alternatives is beyond me.

Reply to this post

Response to jwirr (Reply #5)

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 08:20 PM

7. See; Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy

http://steadystate.org/

I recently discovered this site,. having previous interests in Degrowth, Permaculture, and the Relocalization of our culture and lives this seems rather on point. Working my way through all the material now, but is one of the best articulations of the situation I have seen.

Once we realize that corporate capitalism is predicated on a lie; of infinite growth,. we tend to look for viable alternatives,. and there are many ready made and waiting to be implemented widely and explored. The time is now for a new culture of egalitarian peace and global community of people working together to balance the planet.

Reply to this post

Response to Civilization2 (Reply #7)

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 09:05 PM

9. Thank you for the site. I will explore it in the morning.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 08:33 PM

8. Would you explain this process in an original post in general discussion...

...so that the DU public will understand WHY this technology is so bad for the environment and needs to be stopped.

Your explanation is the clearest description of what is at stake, and it is often the case that such good explanations get lost in the flood of posts, especially in forums such as "Latest Breaking News".

Thanks.

K and R.

Reply to this post

Response to AdHocSolver (Reply #8)

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 10:05 PM

11. Thanks for asking. I will.

I've never done that before.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 06:21 PM

6. IF any media paid the due attention to this they would write off the story as "muskeg?!?!?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskeg

Thanks for posting this. This is a disaster actually happening not about to happen.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 21, 2013, 09:36 PM

10. Cold Lake is a few hundred kms from Fort McMurray, which is THE big tarsands operation

just an FYI

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2013, 09:06 PM

14. they don't understand it? Then they shouldn't be drilling

Trash the planet and then "I don't understand" when your moneymaking venture goes haywire. I hope these guys go bankrupt and fast.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2013, 09:13 PM

15. info about Pres. of board of Can. Natural Resources - worth $2.2 billion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N._Murray_Edwards

Source of Edwards' Fortune

Edwards has more at stake in the Canadian oil sands than possibly any other individual. His company, Canadian Natural Resources, has sketched out plans to spend $25 billion to turn the bitumen-bearing sand found in northern Alberta into barrels of crude oil. This media shy lawyer-turned financier also owns big stakes in Ensign Energy, Canada's second biggest oil services company, and Penn West, one of Canada's biggest energy trusts. He also owns Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, which owns Fernie Alpine Resort, Kimberley Alpine Resort, Nakiska, Stoneham Mountain Resort, and Mont-Sainte-Anne, Kicking Horse Resort. He also owns shares of the Calgary Flames hockey team. He also owns over 30% of a management and holding company, Jovian Capital Corp. Edwards is Chairman of the Board of Magellan Aerospace Corporation.
Edwards is married to Heather Bala Edwards and they have one son. He is also the majority holder of Magellan Aerospace, owning ~76% of Common Shares

Hope the rich asshat gets hit hard for this blowout.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread