HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Snowden Video Interview P...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 12:48 PM

Snowden Video Interview Part 2 Released: Edward Snowden: 'The US will say I aided our enemy

Source: Guardian

In the second part of an exclusive interview with Glenn Greenwald and Laura Poitras, former NSA contractor Edward Snowden contemplates the reaction from the US government to his revelations of top-secret documents regarding its spying operations on domestic and foreign internet traffic, email and phone use.

Read more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jul/08/edward-snowden-video-interview

61 replies, 5594 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 61 replies Author Time Post
Reply Snowden Video Interview Part 2 Released: Edward Snowden: 'The US will say I aided our enemy (Original post)
frontier00 Jul 2013 OP
liberal N proud Jul 2013 #1
UTUSN Jul 2013 #2
Gregorian Jul 2013 #4
Iliyah Jul 2013 #10
Gregorian Jul 2013 #16
Psephos Jul 2013 #17
thefool_wa Jul 2013 #36
grasswire Jul 2013 #51
Agschmid Jul 2013 #38
cstanleytech Jul 2013 #45
FreeBC Jul 2013 #8
liberal N proud Jul 2013 #43
FreeBC Jul 2013 #48
liberal N proud Jul 2013 #49
FreeBC Jul 2013 #50
liberal N proud Jul 2013 #56
FreeBC Jul 2013 #59
Paulie Jul 2013 #57
Katashi_itto Jul 2013 #58
cstanleytech Jul 2013 #47
tinrobot Jul 2013 #13
Maedhros Jul 2013 #14
xtraxritical Jul 2013 #19
karynnj Jul 2013 #30
Civilization2 Jul 2013 #21
xtraxritical Jul 2013 #22
frylock Jul 2013 #24
VanillaRhapsody Jul 2013 #27
Mojorabbit Jul 2013 #53
JDPriestly Jul 2013 #31
liberal N proud Jul 2013 #41
askeptic Jul 2013 #34
liberal N proud Jul 2013 #40
christx30 Jul 2013 #35
liberal N proud Jul 2013 #42
christx30 Jul 2013 #52
Amonester Jul 2013 #44
Ash_F Jul 2013 #61
struggle4progress Jul 2013 #3
kirby Jul 2013 #37
struggle4progress Jul 2013 #39
kirby Jul 2013 #60
grahamhgreen Jul 2013 #5
totodeinhere Jul 2013 #6
VanillaRhapsody Jul 2013 #28
JDPriestly Jul 2013 #32
madrchsod Jul 2013 #7
FreeBC Jul 2013 #12
xtraxritical Jul 2013 #23
frylock Jul 2013 #25
tridim Jul 2013 #26
frylock Jul 2013 #29
tomm2thumbs Jul 2013 #9
madrchsod Jul 2013 #11
Maedhros Jul 2013 #15
Psephos Jul 2013 #18
im1013 Jul 2013 #33
Galraedia Jul 2013 #20
markpkessinger Jul 2013 #46
Mojorabbit Jul 2013 #55
MjolnirTime Jul 2013 #54

Response to frontier00 (Original post)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 12:53 PM

1. Well, telling them things about our security system is aiding the enemy

Regardless of how you feel about the NSA and the data collection, Snowden did share information with other governments. That cannot be debated!

Yes the things he shared exposed a vast data collection process that should be stopped. It does not change the fact that he shared it with other nations and only then did we find out about it.

Sorry, he is no hero here!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to liberal N proud (Reply #1)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 12:58 PM

2. i.m with you, well said. is he claiming this as another big revelation?!1 nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:09 PM

4. Or doing just what the Declaration of Independence says is our Right.

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

Reply to this post

Response to Gregorian (Reply #4)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:21 PM

10. oh huh

Always the constitution, bill of rights and so forth. I'm tired of this.

I'm tired of the onslaught of so called patriots telling me about my fucking rights. Enough!

Reply to this post

Response to Iliyah (Reply #10)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 02:19 PM

16. Haha. I really can't help myself. That's a laugh.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 02:45 PM

17. Clapper, that you? n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 06:07 PM

36. Wow...

Enjoy tyranny, you apparently deserve it since you don't want to hear any more about what your rights are.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:06 PM

51. Luckily for you, pal....

....there ARE Americans who are protecting your constitutional rights even though you don't appear to cherish them much. I dare you to tell a veteran what you think of the principles they fought for, bled for.

Sheesh.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 07:20 PM

38. So you want to abolish our government...

Good lord. DU is getting loopy lately.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 09:13 PM

45. Gee, that sounds alot like what the tea party has been trying to do.

Abolish the government I mean.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:18 PM

8. So he should have released the information in some sort of code only Americans understand?

By your standard, every whistleblower that has released information to the press throughout history has shared information with foreign governments because other people can read English.

He may not be a hero, but your willingness to jump on the Snowden distraction bandwagon makes you a villain.

Reply to this post

Response to FreeBC (Reply #8)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 08:56 PM

43. Your OK with him running off to communist countries?

Reply to this post

Response to liberal N proud (Reply #43)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 09:28 PM

48. The cold war is over dude.

Reply to this post

Response to FreeBC (Reply #48)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 10:01 PM

49. They are still communist ahnd still looking to take down the US DUDE!

Reply to this post

Response to liberal N proud (Reply #49)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:01 PM

50. You must be from an older generation

Communism isn't a bad word anymore.

And let's face it, among the reasons it deserved a negative connotation in the first place is because they were doing what Snowden is exposing today in the US: spying on citizens, creating a police state.

So, I appreciate that you might have been born in the 50s and have a lifetime of conservative propaganda clouding your mind. The fear of communism has been used by conservatives for most of our lifetimes in their attempts to dismantle FDR's work. But younger people aren't going to fall for that BS anymore. And we're tired of the previous generations making enemies out of countries just because they don't believe that the ultimate goal of a moral society is giving the rich to ability to screw over the poor.

So, please take your anti-communist propaganda over to Red State or the Free Republic web sites.

Reply to this post

Response to FreeBC (Reply #50)

Tue Jul 9, 2013, 07:00 AM

56. Are you telling me I don't belong on DU?

You have not been here long enough to tell me where to go!

Reply to this post

Response to liberal N proud (Reply #56)

Wed Jul 10, 2013, 03:32 AM

59. No, but that opinion doesn't belong here.

Telling you you don't belong here would mean I think you are irredeemable. I don't think that. I am pointing out a flaw in your logic (or lack of logic) and theorizing why you might hold a view that sounds like it came right out of the republican scare tactic handbook.

I am also pointing out that younger people don't buy that nonsense anymore.

This is 2013. "because Communism" is no longer a valid reason to make enemies of people of this world who do not wish to be our enemies. It's not only wrong, it's offensive. There are good people all over this world and most do not want to be put on the enemies list of the most militaristic nation in the world thanks to nonsense propaganda used to indoctrinate baby boomers 50-60 years ago.

But instead of defending your point of view, you ran to the mods, probably because your point of view is indefensible. How about this time you try and look at it from my point of view, or better still, try and look at it from the point of view of some poor farmer in Venezuela or China.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 9, 2013, 07:11 AM

57. But but he's hanging out with the Soviets!

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 9, 2013, 07:24 AM

58. Results of the Alert

This is what is wrong with DU. It has been overrun with users who will tell those that don't agree with them that they don't belong on this site. The user only had 380 post at the time of this alert and telling me that my views don't reflect DU. If that isn't an personal attack on another DU memeber then, maybe my time here is done and these users can reshape DU to be a my way or the highway site. You decide!

You served on a randomly-selected Jury of DU members which reviewed this post. The review was completed at Tue Jul 9, 2013, 07:13 AM, and the Jury voted 3-3 to LEAVE IT.

Juror #1 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: No explanation given
Juror #2 voted to HIDE IT and said: agree with alerter's words - personal attack on another DUer. Get rid of the post.
Juror #3 voted to HIDE IT and said: Agree with alerter. What gives this clown the right to say who stays and who goes?
Juror #4 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: It's a fine post. Nothing wrong with it except the alerter is butthurt.
Juror #5 voted to LEAVE IT ALONE and said: No explanation given
Juror #6 voted to HIDE IT and said: I agree with the poster about a generation-specific fear of communism. But I agree MORE with the plaintiff here, that telling someone to "get out" is totally inappropriate for an inclusive party member. We can have our differences but we don't have to be exclusionary dicks about it. I'd suggest that the plaintiff stand up for him/herself, understand the point is "understood," and then school the newb on how to conduct constructive argument in an inclusive environment like DU. I usually only vote to 'Hide' when someone rejects difference by trying to force someone out of DU.

Thank you very much for participating in our Jury system, and we hope you will be able to participate again in the future.

Reply to this post

Response to FreeBC (Reply #8)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 09:17 PM

47. Oh there is no may, he isnt one pure and simple.

And I dont think he should be prosecuted for the revelation over the NSA being in bed with the telecommunications companies.
However he should face trial for revealing to China the efforts of US intelligence agencies at spying on them as revealing that kinda of information is usually considered treason for a reason.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:28 PM

13. Who is the enemy here?

Organizations outside the US... or a group of out of control organizations within?

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:45 PM

14. Yes, it can be debated.

Regardless of how you feel about the NSA and the data collection, Snowden did share information with other governments. That cannot be debated!

You are implying that Snowden met with officials from one or more foreign governments and gave them NSA secrets for their own use. Not so.

Snowden met with foreign newspapers and shared information to be published.

Yes the things he shared exposed a vast data collection process that should be stopped. It does not change the fact that he shared it with other nations and only then did we find out about it.

When comparing two acts - exposing government wrongdoing, and violating the law - you are asserting that adhering to the law is more important than holding our government accountable. Many, myself included, disagree with this assertion.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 03:00 PM

19. By the way, whom are our enemies that he's helping?

How can it be construed that telling the world about the all pervasive eves dropping of the United States on it's own citizens is "helping the enemy"? What enemy and what use can they make of this revelation? Snowden is a courageous man, as Danial Elsberg has said, and he has done a good service for the American people. Go put your hair fire out.

Reply to this post

Response to xtraxritical (Reply #19)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 04:27 PM

30. One example - someone spoke of terrorists having used skype

which they now will not do - meaning they will be harder to find before damage is done.

Not to mention if you have access to classified info, you promise not to reveal it. In a case where you feel strongly enough that it has be public, you KNOWINGLY accept the consequences. The problem with saying that he shouldn't is that that would mean ANYONE can release anything. Transparency is good on many things, but not trying to keep the country safe or diplomacy.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 03:10 PM

21. Why are all other nations your "enemy" ?

Nationalism is stupid and destructive,. religious nationalism doubly so.

One world, one people, one.

Reply to this post

Response to Civilization2 (Reply #21)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 03:39 PM

22. Yes! That was Albert Einsteins position too.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 03:53 PM

24. when did china become our enemy?

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 04:05 PM

27. and he signed a document that told him he would be prosecuted with felony charges if he did that!

Reply to this post

Response to VanillaRhapsody (Reply #27)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:20 PM

53. I am rolling my eyes here nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 04:28 PM

31. Do you feel more secure knowing these systems are in place?

I don't. Not at all. I feel far less secure.

Reply to this post

Response to JDPriestly (Reply #31)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 08:53 PM

41. Did you read my message?

I do not support the spying, but that does not make Snowden a fucking hero.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 05:23 PM

34. Funny - pooh-pooh-ers say he's a traitor but also claim only naive expect privacy

so which is it? Either we were all naive for thinking there was some semblance of privacy in personal communications (in which case it is hardly a revelation to other countries). If its all such commonplace knowledge, how could much have been compromised?

The apologists need to decide which it is.

Reply to this post

Response to askeptic (Reply #34)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 08:48 PM

40. No apologies, the spying needs to stop, but Snowden is a traitor.

There were other ways of stopping it.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 05:28 PM

35. If he had not done it

we wouldn't know about it at all.
It's like a guy that gets mad because a friend of his wife finds out he's cheating on her and tells her. The person that told the wife isn't in the wrong. The person cheating (or spying) is the one in the wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to christx30 (Reply #35)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 08:54 PM

42. There are other methods to get such things stopped.

Reply to this post

Response to liberal N proud (Reply #42)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:14 PM

52. Yeah? Like what?

Go some congress person? You find a nice, liberal politician like Al Franken. You give him the information. He doesn't think of you as a hero trying to get the information out. He thinks of you as a traitor. He calls the NSA. He calls the FBI. You are arrested. Your family never finds out why. Or they are told lies about what happened. The American people are still in the dark.

Reply to this post

Response to christx30 (Reply #35)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 09:06 PM

44. We knew about it long ago.

And we also know signing a legal document before getting a job that requires signing such working contract which explicitely specifies you will be prosecuted if you transmit such and such information to un-authorized parties (and that if you refuse to sign it you will not be hired for that job to begin with), anyone surprised by the promised prosecution after illegal disclosure is either naive or juvenile.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 10, 2013, 06:55 PM

61. Yeah but those countries are "important trade partners", not enemies.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:08 PM

3. ... Classified US National Security Agency maps leaked by Mr Snowden and published

by US journalist Glenn Greenwald in the Brazilian O Globo newspaper reveal the locations of dozens of US and allied signals intelligence collection sites ...
Updated: July 8, 2013, 12:16 PM
http://www.newstalkflorida.com/snowden-reveals-australias-links-to-us-spy-web/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=snowden-reveals-australias-links-to-us-spy-web

Reply to this post

Response to struggle4progress (Reply #3)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 06:40 PM

37. Use google...

Just google those secret 'Australian' sites, they are well known and come up on older public information, not to mention some how their own gov't websites with mission statements.

Reply to this post

Response to kirby (Reply #37)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 07:28 PM

39. I'm quite sure that's true, but let me share with you an idea I learned years ago

in political work:

You really can't stop your opponents from learning about what you do and how you do it. But make them work hard for their knowledge: don't just hand them the information. Whatever time they spend trying to figure it out is time they don't have for something else

The same principle applies to certain sorts of national security work in a democratic society. Democratic societies require significant transparency and openness, but they can also have real enemies. One compromise that serves the competing and contradictory needs here is to make sure that the information is available but that it is not packaged extremely conveniently

Reply to this post

Response to struggle4progress (Reply #39)

Wed Jul 10, 2013, 03:58 PM

60. Isn't that just security through obscurity?

Which isn't really security at all. I understand your point and what Snowden did violated the law, but some of these examples being used to promote aiding the enemy seem contrived.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:10 PM

5. Defending Snowden is defending our Constitution against it's enemies.

Last edited Mon Jul 8, 2013, 02:18 PM - Edit history (1)

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:16 PM

6. No the existence of the surveillance state aids our enemies. It gives them moral authority

to justify wrongdoing on their part by reminding us that we are engaging in illegal spying ourselves. And by illegal I mean in violation of international law. Congress, which is in the hip pocket of the military industrial complex may have passed the Patriot Act, but that doesn't give us the right top spy on European countries and others. And yes some of them might be doing it to us as well but I want to live in a country that is better than that.

Reply to this post

Response to totodeinhere (Reply #6)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 04:05 PM

28. So do the ends justify the means?

Reply to this post

Response to totodeinhere (Reply #6)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 04:35 PM

32. totodeinhere. You are so right.

What is really angering our government is that Snowden revealed that, because of these programs, we can no longer take the high road on human rights issues.

Our human rights violations are among the worst in the world.

Snooping on birthday greetings. Might as well be in jail. That is where the wardens read all incoming and outgoing mail.

After the next security crisis, and there is bound to be one sometime because these things happen pretty regularly, we will learn that some of our communications must be censored -- for national security reasons, of course. We will be told that the only way that we can be kept truly safe is for the government to not only read our e-mails and Facebook postings, but to black out parts that might cause people to have dangerous thoughts.

That's coming. It's coming.

We have secret laws and secret programs and next we will have secret government censorship.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:16 PM

7. you pissed off our friends and aided our enemies

have fun looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life.

Reply to this post

Response to madrchsod (Reply #7)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:25 PM

12. Yup, his acts have likely ruined his life.

Not many people would be willing to do that.

Certainly Bush and Obama wouldn't... They bring in experts to twist the interpretation of laws so they can pretend to be following it. Bush and Obama have caused the deaths of thousands, but they certainly aren't willing to defend their actions in a court of law. They made/make law breaking a "policy interpretation."

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 03:55 PM

25. which enemies?

Reply to this post

Response to frylock (Reply #25)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 04:02 PM

26. Why don't you ask Snowden that question? He is "quoted" as saying it.

Reply to this post

Response to tridim (Reply #26)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 04:26 PM

29. sure. you have his contact info kplzthx?

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:20 PM

9. Will be interesting to see how this might affect 2014 and 2016 candidates

Questions on where they stand with wholesale domestic intelligence gathering and data mining are certainly going to be brought up. Will be interesting to see where candidates fall on this, especially those who were a part of the administration or participated with knowledge of this while in the administration.

Reply to this post

Response to tomm2thumbs (Reply #9)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:23 PM

11. the problem is this has been going on before obama.

it won`t stop under a republican or democratic president , house, or senate

Reply to this post

Response to madrchsod (Reply #11)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 01:48 PM

15. The struggle before us is not Democrat vs. Republican or Liberal vs. Conservative

but The People vs. The Oligarchy.

Eventually the People will figure this out.

Reply to this post

Response to Maedhros (Reply #15)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 02:51 PM

18. In simplest terms, Us vs. Them.

They chuckle into their wine glasses as we succumb to self-righteous fights over Ds and Rs, and patriot/traitor name-calling.

Excellent post.

Reply to this post

Response to Psephos (Reply #18)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 04:50 PM

33. And as long as they continue to divide us

with D's vs. R's, liberal vs. conservative, men vs. women, black vs. white (Zimmerman) or the latest social-issue-of-the-week, nothing will ever change. The oligarchs will continue to get everything they want while the rest of us are too busy fighting, or possibly too scared of what we'll see, to look around at our country that has been stolen from us.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 03:05 PM

20. Apparently his pre-emptively pointing it out invalidates it in his mind.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 09:17 PM

46. Watching Snowden's two interviews . . .

. . . I have to conclude -- based on his affect and his clarity of thought and articulation -- that he is authentic. Either that or he deserves an Academy award.

Reply to this post

Response to markpkessinger (Reply #46)

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:32 PM

55. I feel the same way. He is very clear and wellspoken

I don't pick up any artifice from him at all.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:24 PM

54. What a complete Dog and Pony Show!! Or should I say Glenn and Eddie?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread