HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 35,000 march in Dublin ag...

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 07:58 PM

35,000 march in Dublin against Irish abortion bill

Source: USA Today

DUBLIN (AP) Bearing rosary beads and placards declaring "Kill the bill! Not the child," more than 35,000 anti-abortion activists marched Saturday through Dublin to demand that the Irish government scrap plans to legalize terminations for women in life-threatening pregnancies.

Demonstrators from across Ireland, a predominantly Catholic island of 6.5 million, marched for two hours through the capital to Leinster House, the parliament building, where lawmakers next week are expected pass the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Bill. Speakers demanded that the government put its bill to a national referendum. "Let us vote!" the crowd chanted.

The two-year-old coalition government of Prime Minister Enda Kenny drafted the bill following last year's death of a miscarrying woman in an Irish hospital. Three investigations since have determined that Savita Halappanavar, a 31-year-old Indian dentist, died from blood poisoning one week after admission for a miscarriage. Doctors denied her pleas for an abortion, even though her uterus had ruptured, because the 17-week-old fetus still had a heartbeat. By the time it stopped, investigations concluded, Halappanavar already had contracted a lethal dose of septicemia.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/07/06/dublin-anti-abortion-march/2495449/

Repeating the key point:

Three investigations since have determined that Savita Halappanavar, a 31-year-old Indian dentist, died from blood poisoning one week after admission for a miscarriage. Doctors denied her pleas for an abortion, even though her uterus had ruptured, because the 17-week-old fetus still had a heartbeat.

The U.S. does not have a corner on anti-woman religious extremists, sigh. (Ok, THAT is not breaking news.)

15 replies, 2275 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply 35,000 march in Dublin against Irish abortion bill (Original post)
MH1 Jul 2013 OP
sulphurdunn Jul 2013 #1
Arugula Latte Jul 2013 #2
sulphurdunn Jul 2013 #3
WilliamPitt Jul 2013 #4
sulphurdunn Jul 2013 #9
Douglas Carpenter Jul 2013 #6
CountAllVotes Jul 2013 #8
sulphurdunn Jul 2013 #10
Scairp Jul 2013 #5
CountAllVotes Jul 2013 #7
tofuandbeer Jul 2013 #11
rebecca_herman Jul 2013 #12
susanna Jul 2013 #15
uppityperson Jul 2013 #13
MH1 Jul 2013 #14

Response to MH1 (Original post)

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 08:04 PM

1. The biggest mistake the Irish made

after inventing whiskey was converting to Catholicism. Otherwise, we'd rule the world.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to sulphurdunn (Reply #1)

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 08:09 PM

2. There needs to be an Reverse St. Valentine to rid the country of the pox of Catholicism.

That is one evil institution, in so many ways.

Reply to this post

Response to Arugula Latte (Reply #2)

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 08:29 PM

3. It wasn't so much Catholicism per se

as the forced subjugation of Celtic to Roman Catholicism. The consequences of replacing whiskey drinking, closet druids with sacramental, winebibbing pedophiles has been tragic for the Lord's real chosen people.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 08:51 PM

4. St. Patrick's Day in Boston

was a Protestant holiday in the years before the Revolution.

Go figure.

Reply to this post

Response to WilliamPitt (Reply #4)

Sun Jul 7, 2013, 12:16 AM

9. That's why there's an orange stripe

on the Irish flag and why they drink beer as well as whiskey.

http://prorev.com/irish.htm

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 08:58 PM

6. I had an Irish friend from Galway - who used to claim that if England had remained

Catholic - Ireland would be a Protestant country today.

Reply to this post

Response to Douglas Carpenter (Reply #6)

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 11:04 PM

8. Good luck on that one

I guess your friend doesn't know what The Great Famine was does he/she?

The Irish have not ever been nor ever will be "Protestant", believe me on that one.

ERIN GO BRAUGH!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Response to CountAllVotes (Reply #8)

Sun Jul 7, 2013, 12:35 AM

10. Had the English been Catholic

they would have as readily let the Irish starve for money as for God. I think the gentlemen meant to suggest that the Irish are not fast friends with England. I'm sure you'd agree. By the way, the English speaking world is full of Irish Protestants. Not being overly particular about who they marry, many of them have been rumored to take up with Irish Catholics because they look so much like themselves. It's a subject we don't like to talk about.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 08:52 PM

5. I think the EU should have a requirement

Anyone who is or wants to be a member must make abortion legal for any reason, including late term abortions. This is absurd. They want to be seen as a sophisticated country but then they freak out like this over a very restrictive abortion law being passed. And here I though that the Irish were finally beginning to throw off the yoke of the Catholic church and it's deep hypocrisy. However, millions turned out to protest the beginning of the Iraq war so really 35,000 isn't that many. It's my opinion that most Irish think abortion should be legal in all cases and not just because the pregnancy might kill the woman.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 10:20 PM

7. As many as 110,000 protested the bank bailouts in Ireland

In Ireland, tens of thousands of demonstrators have taken to the streets to protest against the cost of their country's bank bailouts. Police said some 50,000 people participated in the marches nationwide.

Some 25,000 people marched through the streets of the capital, Dublin, on Saturday, in protest against the costs of a banking crisis that has buried Ireland in debt.

According to police figures, some 6,000 people also demonstrated in Cork and Sligo. Meanwhile, crowds of 2,000 also turned out in Limerick, Galway and Waterford.

The Irish Congress of Trade Unions estimated that some 110,000 people demonstrated nationwide. The ICTU, which represents nearly a fifth of Ireland's 3.1 million person electorate, had organized the demonstrations under the slogan "Lift the Burden."

http://www.dw.de/thousands-protest-in-ireland-against-bank-bailouts/a-16588970

Hence, it seems that in Ireland, three times as many people protested the bank bailouts and as for these paltry 35,000 anti-abortion activists so, who really gives a fig?

The population of Ireland is approximately 6.4 million; 35,000 is a pittance that represents nothing IMO.

All in all, Catholicism is indeed the faith of this country but it doesn't mean that every person living there buys Catholicism hook line and sinker nor is necessarily a "practicing" Catholic. If this was the case, you'd have a lot more than 35,000 people protesting don't you think?

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 7, 2013, 03:31 AM

11. Religion...meh

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 7, 2013, 05:03 AM

12. The stupid, it burns...

Don't "kill the child"? The fetus won't survive if the mother dies, geniuses!

Reply to this post

Response to rebecca_herman (Reply #12)

Sun Jul 7, 2013, 11:48 PM

15. I'm with you...

Pass me some SPF 30000+. Because this kind of stupid burns with the fire of many, many suns.

Your post is spot on.

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 7, 2013, 07:12 PM

13. k&r for wider exposure and argh

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #13)

Sun Jul 7, 2013, 08:22 PM

14. Thanks. I'll second the argh. nt

Reply to this post