HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Edward Snowden Offered As...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 01:30 PM

Edward Snowden Offered Asylum in Bolivia by President Evo Morales

Source: CBS News

Edward Snowden offered asylum in Bolivia by President Evo Morales

July 06, 2013

LA PAZ, Bolivia NSA leaker Edward Snowden has yet another place to go, if only he can get there.

Bolivian President Evo Morales says Snowden is welcome in his country. He said Saturday he is making the offer as a protest against the U.S. and European nations he accuses of temporarily blocking his flight home from a Moscow summit because they suspected his might have Snowden on board.

Morales follows Presidents Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela and Daniel Ortega in making the offer. He'd earlier said he was willing to consider asylum for Snowden, the same position taken by Ecuador, which is another of Bolivia's leftist Latin American allies.

Morales did not say if he has received a formal petition for asylum from Snowden.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57592523/edward-snowden-offered-asylum-in-bolivia-by-president-evo-morales

7 replies, 1368 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Edward Snowden Offered Asylum in Bolivia by President Evo Morales (Original post)
Hissyspit Jul 2013 OP
Comrade Grumpy Jul 2013 #1
lunatica Jul 2013 #2
peacebird Jul 2013 #5
avebury Jul 2013 #3
Plucketeer Jul 2013 #4
malthaussen Jul 2013 #6
Celefin Jul 2013 #7

Response to Hissyspit (Original post)

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 01:35 PM

1. Another giant middle finger to Washington.

This isn't the good old days of empire anymore, when those pesky Meskins knew their place. (They're all Meskins, ain't they?)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 01:37 PM

2. I thought this might happen

I'm glad it did. The US needs to start playing nice with this Continent.

Reply to this post

Response to lunatica (Reply #2)

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 02:05 PM

5. I am also glad it did. I hope Snowden makes it to South America and out of US's grasp

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 01:40 PM

3. Morales is so pissed off at the US I don't think that

Snowden even has to actually ask for asylum.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 02:04 PM

4. VIVA EVO!

I'm SO glad there are nations willing to tell DC to FUCK OFF! Here's hoping the NSA sees this post! "Come and get me, asshats!"

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 6, 2013, 08:35 PM

6. Guess his "regret" didn't last long.

I would imagine Mr Morales is mad enough to spit. Of course, the whole of Latin America could offer Mr Snowden asylum, but getting him there will be half the fun.
The other half will be keeping him intact once he is there -- wherever he ends up.

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Sun Jul 7, 2013, 04:47 AM

7. Only a matter of time after that little act of air piracy

everything else would have been a surprise after that.

The countries that closed their airspace couldn't look more stupid, hypocritical and lapdoggish if they tried, having caused exactly what they thought they were preventing all the while being officially outraged at the US and its persecution of a whistleblower.

If it wasn't so cringe-worthy it'd be hilarious. Now whether Snowden actually makes it to Latin America is a different story. But he's certainly done a good job of exposing European hypocrisy. That's got to be worth something, even if you disagree with his actions.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread