HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Los Angeles air pollution...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jun 4, 2013, 02:58 PM

Los Angeles air pollution drops after tailpipe laws

Source: BBC

Los Angeles air pollution - and its infamous eye sting - have declined due to California's strict vehicle emission controls, scientists have said.

Despite a three-fold rise in the number of vehicles on southern California roads since 1960, air pollution there has decreased, a study found.

<snip>

She said the study "confirms that California's policies to control emissions have worked as intended".
'Better' air

In addition, ozone pollution has improved, although Los Angeles remains the worst city in America for ozone pollution, according to the American Lung Association. The researchers compared atmospheric data collected since 1960 with new findings from a research aircraft mission in 2010 to devise a long-term model of change in the region's atmosphere.

<snip>

While pollution has decreased since 1960, scientists say vehicles are still the "dominant" source of emissions in Los Angeles.

<snip>

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22772933

Regulations, even watered down, work.

2 replies, 1110 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Los Angeles air pollution drops after tailpipe laws (Original post)
marble falls Jun 2013 OP
Politicalboi Jun 2013 #1
Bonx Jun 2013 #2

Response to marble falls (Original post)

Tue Jun 4, 2013, 03:01 PM

1. Had we grown Hemp

Along with these regulations, we would be better off today for sure. Hemp absorbs CO2. Hemp can be used as a fuel, feed cattle, and clothe us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to marble falls (Original post)

Tue Jun 4, 2013, 03:48 PM

2. Good to hear.

Been a long time since I drove out to Ca from the east coast, but it was always disconcerting when I crossed the point where the air suddenly turned brown.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread