HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » President Obama and Virgi...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue May 14, 2013, 08:19 AM

President Obama and Virginia leaders bash IRS targeting of conservative groups

Source: The News Virginian

President Barack Obama said Monday he will not tolerate political bias at the Internal Revenue Service and promised to get to the bottom of the agency's admitted targeting of conservative groups.

"You don't want the IRS ever being perceived to be biased and anything less than neutral in terms of how they operate,'' Obama said. The president said "I've got no patience with it. I will not tolerate it, and we will make sure that we find out exactly what happened on this."

Virginia U.S. Sen. Mark Warner called the efforts of the IRS "appalling'' and "completely unacceptable." "We need a quick but thorough investigation, and those who are found to have been responsible for this betrayal of the public trust should be fired,'' Warner said.

Virginia U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine said "there's no excuse for ideological discrimination in our system." He said swift action is needed by the Obama administration and said appropriate safeguards should be established "to prevent this from ever happening again."

While the IRS apologized on Friday for what it described as the targeting by low-level employees, a draft report by a watchdog group obtained by the Associated Press indicates the agency knew about targeting two years ago.

Read more: http://www.dailyprogress.com/newsvirginian/news/president-virginia-leaders-bash-irs-targeting-of-conservative-groups/article_2046690e-bc27-11e2-9658-001a4bcf6878.html

7 replies, 1301 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply President Obama and Virginia leaders bash IRS targeting of conservative groups (Original post)
Douglas Carpenter May 2013 OP
Liberal_Stalwart71 May 2013 #1
Sunlei May 2013 #2
another_liberal May 2013 #3
VPStoltz May 2013 #4
Name removed May 2013 #5
maddezmom May 2013 #6
Name removed May 2013 #7

Response to Douglas Carpenter (Original post)

Tue May 14, 2013, 08:22 AM

1. The word "bash" is a bit extreme. Makes it sound like Hollywood actors hitting each other on Twitter

I fucking hate the Corporate Media for how it reports on political (and non-political) issues.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue May 14, 2013, 08:33 AM

2. crossroads political charity, tries to chill scrutiny of their romney spending

Reply to this post

Tue May 14, 2013, 08:41 AM

3. Sounds bad.

The truth, however, is likely to be that the IRS had every right to do what they did; in fact, it seems they had a responsibility to investigate the purposes for which these shady groups used their hundreds of millions of tax-free dollars. I would advise the President to stop apologizing for what may well turn out to have been valid and completely justified actions by an essential (even if widely disliked) agency of our government.

Reply to this post

Tue May 14, 2013, 08:43 AM

4. Here's is another one of those "there's no there there" stories.

Con parties have historically abused their non-prof statusn- i.e. Crossroads.
The IRS was RIGHT to target them, which is reality it wasn't doing.
It was only doing its job.
In the meantime, Cons are submitting literally 1000s of questions to Obama's nominees when past nominee received less than 100.
I guess that's not targeting or harassing.

Reply to this post

Response to Name removed (Reply #5)

Tue May 14, 2013, 11:38 AM

6. Welcome to DU

Looks like you agree with The POTUS.

Reply to this post

Response to maddezmom (Reply #6)

Reply to this thread