HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Maine troops head to El S...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat May 11, 2013, 05:54 PM

Maine troops head to El Salvador

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Rhiannon12866 (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: WMTW

Maine troops head to El Salvador
136 Engineer Company on training mission
Published 4:19 PM EDT May 11, 2013

PORTLAND, Maine —Members of the Maine National Guard’s 136 Engineer Company left for a two-week training mission in El Salvador Saturday morning.

The vertical engineer company includes military carpenters, masons, electricians and plumbers.

The soldiers will be providing hands-on assistance with construction and repairs on a broad range of buildings in the region as part of an international exercise called “Beyond the Horizon.”

The program is, “designed to foster relationships between the United States and Central American and Caribbean companies,” First Lt Morse Doane explained.

Read more: http://www.wmtw.com/news/maine/maine-troops-head-to-el-salvador/-/8792012/20109858/-/l5y0ptz/-/index.html#ixzz2T1Vtl2AT

9 replies, 1214 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Response to devilgrrl (Reply #1)

Sat May 11, 2013, 06:15 PM

3. Ahh, good ol' reflexive kneejerks. (nt)

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat May 11, 2013, 06:01 PM

2. Looks like this exercise has been happening since 2008 -

Response to enlightenment (Reply #2)

Sat May 11, 2013, 08:36 PM

6. I see things like this as great!

And it goes along with an idea I've developed in recent years where the US ramps up the humanitarian aspect of the military, especially in times of disaster. I have never understood why after the Haiti quake our military engineers were unable to build or deploy a temporary dock. There are bound to be scenarios (if not outright existing examples) where a dock has been destroyed in war and yet the military is able to improve it enough to use it anyway.

Of all the things to be had in the Pentagon's budget, I feel we should direct as much of the existing budget for them to humanitarian projects like these

Response to kentauros (Reply #6)

Sat May 11, 2013, 09:01 PM

7. The military has always had

a concurrent humanitarian aspect - particularly in peacetime. There's nothing terribly new or extraordinary about these missions. I grew up an AF brat and served my time as well; this doesn't really seem like "news" to me.

I don't know if the Army Corp of Engineers was deployed to Haiti, or if they were, why they didn't build a temporary dock - something to look into, I guess.

I agree that it is much better to hear about a deployment like this than to a war zone.

Sat May 11, 2013, 08:08 PM

4. No wonder the congress is so worried about expenditures...

How many troops in different countries at this time?

Response to midnight (Reply #4)

Sat May 11, 2013, 11:53 PM

8. A two-week deployment for one company is nothing in the defense budget. (nt)

Sat May 11, 2013, 08:16 PM

5. hey folks, its called ANNUAL TRAINING and is required for reservists and guard soldiers

a 2 week stint where we actually get to do our military jobs.

and for a lot of soldiers in those components, it is a huge wage increase for 2 weeks. So dont get all crazy about it.

I spent the first 12 years of my career in an identical engineer unit. why this is LBN I cant say

Sun May 12, 2013, 12:20 AM

9. Locking, sorry, host consensus is that this isn't breaking news, happens regularly

Please consider reposting in GD or the local forum. Thanks!