HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Biden says he knows South...

Fri May 3, 2013, 11:50 PM

Biden says he knows South Carolina visit will spark buzz about a presidential bid

Source: Washington Post

Vice President Biden, in town to speak Friday night at an annual fundraising dinner for the South Carolina Democratic Party, said he knows his appearance will generate buzz about whether he’s getting ready for a presidential run.

After all, South Carolina usually holds one of the first primary contests and is a frequent stop for potential candidates, but he insists that his visit was to assist fellow Democrats running for Congress, including Elizabeth Colbert Busch, the sister of comedian Stephen Colbert, who is in a tough race against former Republican governor Mark Sanford.

“As soon as I show up in South Carolina, the Washington press corps comes out and says, ‘Is Biden getting ready?’ ” the vice president said at the party dinner, insisting that he came at the request of another Democrat, South Carolina Rep. James E. Clyburn. “I’ve got to make clear: I would go anywhere Jim asked me to go.”

At the Democratic confab, more than 1,000 people packed a ballroom for the $125-a-plate dinner, where Biden laid into House Republicans for “fighting like the devil” for a budget plan that he said slashes education, undercuts law enforcement and gets rid of Medicare.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-south-carolina-biden-and-ted-cruz-hit-the-dinner-circuit-in-pre-election-appeals/2013/05/03/760ebafa-b45f-11e2-bbf2-a6f9e9d79e19_story.html

8 replies, 1482 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Biden says he knows South Carolina visit will spark buzz about a presidential bid (Original post)
alp227 May 2013 OP
JimDandy May 2013 #1
TwilightGardener May 2013 #2
JimDandy May 2013 #3
davidpdx May 2013 #8
Lugnut May 2013 #4
Poll_Blind May 2013 #5
David__77 May 2013 #6
Douglas Carpenter May 2013 #7

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Sat May 4, 2013, 12:01 AM

1. I'd vote for Biden before I'd vote for Hillary Clinton. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JimDandy (Reply #1)

Sat May 4, 2013, 12:05 AM

2. I'm hoping for an alternative to both.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #2)

Sat May 4, 2013, 12:22 AM

3. Progressives will need a good ground game in the Dem primary

process to get a good liberal or progressive candidate through, instead of a 3rd Way, Blue dog, Repub lite or Corporateer candidate.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #2)

Sat May 4, 2013, 09:33 PM

8. I don't think either will run

Which is going to cause some on DU to flip out. Both have had distinguished political careers and will support the eventual nominee.

Reply to this post

Response to JimDandy (Reply #1)

Sat May 4, 2013, 01:08 AM

4. I would too. n/t

Reply to this post

Sat May 4, 2013, 01:15 AM

5. We could do waaay worse than Biden in 2016. I hope he runs.

I don't always see eye to eye with him on everything but he's experienced, authentic.

It's true he doesn't play 11 dimensional chess.

He plays hardball.

PB

Reply to this post

Sat May 4, 2013, 01:22 AM

6. I could certainly support Biden. He's better than some names out there.

Reply to this post

Sat May 4, 2013, 01:24 AM

7. if Hillary runs I just can't see it. What would be his base? He certainly does not offer an

ideological alternative to Hillary. As Vice President he would not be able to position himself to the left of Hillary in order to appeal to the progressive wing. There is no broad constituency that would prefer him to Hillary. He does not have a particular Charisma factor that might ignite a campaign. Now, if for some reason Hillary does not run - he would by default become the frontrunner. But if Hillary does not run there will be more major league contenders entering the race than if she does.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread