HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Concealed carry in restau...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Apr 25, 2013, 05:31 PM

Concealed carry in restaurants, school safety bills OK'd by Louisiana House

Source: The Times-Picayune

Concealed carry in restaurants, school safety bills OK'd by Louisiana House

Lauren McGaughy, NOLA.com | The Times Picayune

Gun owners in Louisiana would be able to carry concealed weapons into restaurants that sell alcohol under a bill passed by the House on Thursday morning. The Legislature's lower chamber also passed a bill that would require public schools and law enforcement to jointly plan for live-shooter scenarios. Both now head to the Senate for more debate.

An earlier version of House Bill 48, sponsored by Rep. Henry Burns, R-Haughton, would have allowed only off-duty law enforcement to carry their guns into restaurants that serve alcohol. But an amendment approved in committee extended the provision to concealed carry permit holders.

Some lawmakers, including those on the committee, said Thursday they were unaware of what the amended they approved last week actually did. They said they believed the bill shepherded through committee was only meant to allow police officers to carry guns into restaurants.

"When this bill was presented in committee, it was presented in the form that this was exemption for law enforcement officers," New Iberia Democrat Terry Landry, a former head of the state police, said Thursday. "But this bill now has changed to allow people who have concealed handgun permits to carry their weapons in restaurants that serve alcohol."

"This is not about politics for me. It's about what type of community we're going to live in. it's about the carnage and the killing and the violence in this state," Landry added, mentioning the state has the highest firearm death rates in the nation. He said he did not appreciate legislators trying to "sneak in" bill changes under their colleagues' noses.

Read more: http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/04/concealed_carry_guns_louisiana.ht

Excuse me, but WHAT THE FUCK!! Because New Orleans, my home city, doesn't have enough problems with murders already and we all know that alcohol and firearms just mix so well!! And I surely want to sit there eating my meal and wondering if that crazy asshole who is pissed off at his service may just be packin' heat and might become unhinged. Say goodbye to a relaxing meal out at a restaurant.

And because, you know, shootings at restaurants in Louisiana have become SO epidemic lately!! Classic case of a solution in search of a problem. Well boys, if you are trying to create said problem, congratulations!!!!

6 replies, 1148 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Concealed carry in restaurants, school safety bills OK'd by Louisiana House (Original post)
Harry Monroe Apr 2013 OP
MountainLaurel Apr 2013 #1
Harry Monroe Apr 2013 #2
upaloopa Apr 2013 #3
blkmusclmachine Apr 2013 #4
Aristus Apr 2013 #5
ileus Apr 2013 #6

Response to Harry Monroe (Original post)

Thu Apr 25, 2013, 05:36 PM

1. I concur

But it's not just "that crazy asshole who is pissed off at his service may just be packin' heat and might become unhinged" who worries me (although that is a concern). There was an incident a few years ago at one of the high-end places downtown where a woman dropped her purse and nearly shot someone when the gun in it went off. A DUer was witness to something similar in a coffee hour recently thanks to an idiot with a gun in a bathroom stall. What happens when a restless 3-year-old goes digging in mommy's purse and kills someone. Is there going to be a firefight thanks to 15 people with a trigger finger? I cannot imagine feeling safe.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MountainLaurel (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 25, 2013, 05:41 PM

2. The thought of thousands of "Barney Fifes" out there dining out and packing heat...

...is the stuff of nightmares. I'll have second thoughts eating out when I'm in New Orleans now.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 25, 2013, 05:47 PM

3. Don't forget the guns that fall out of the pants

Luckily so far these type only shoot their dicks off but who knows where the next errant bullet might go.
And don't forget the cop want to be's who draw on any bad guy they see. That could get messy too. Of course I should thank that guy if I were in the restaurant and he shot the bad guy before he hurt anyone. Well no thanks I'd rather eat in a gun free zone.
This is the price we pay so gunners can have their freedom. My only hope is that we get a progressive Supreme Court soon to over turn the latest right wing sponsored pro gun manufacturer decisions. Let's put the militia back into the 2 A.
So I won't visit NOLA any time soon.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 25, 2013, 10:51 PM

4. And NC GOP wants guns in bars. BARS!

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 26, 2013, 01:02 AM

5. Yet another reason to stay away from Loosiana.

As if I needed one. What a cesspool of a state...

Reply to this post

Fri Apr 26, 2013, 07:04 AM

6. Congrats to our CC friend in LA

Used to be I had to do the "Virginia tuck" or leave my PSD in the car when dining in Va. For the past several years we've been able to enjoy family dinners without worrying about leaving an unsecured firearm in the vehicle.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread