HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » #MortAuxGay ('Death To Ga...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Apr 24, 2013, 09:44 PM

#MortAuxGay ('Death To Gays') Hashtag Trends On Twitter After France Legalizes Gay Marriage

Source: The Huffington Post

By Meredith Bennett-Smith Posted: 04/24/2013 5:24 pm EDT

Anti-same sex marriage activists of the anti-gay marriage movement 'la Manif pour Tous' protest during a demonstration, a few hours after the French Parliament adopted gay marriage law at the Assemblee Nationale on April 23, 2013 in Paris, France. The bill was approved by a vote in Parliament of 331 to 225. (Photo by Antoine Antoniol/Getty Images)

As lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) advocates across France celebrated the country's decision to legalize gay marriage Tuesday, a homophobic backlash found an outlet on social media platforms.

Beginning in the evening, the hashtags #MortAuxGay ("death to gays") and #ilfauttuerleshomosexuels ("we must kill all gays") began showing up on Twitter.

According to a Twitter Trending Topics page, #MortAuxGay was a trending term in France on Tuesday. AmericaBlog also took a screenshot of Twitter's trending terms list.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/24/mortauxgay-anti-gay-hashtag-france_n_3148992.html

Notice that the bigots in the photo are Fine Young Caucasians? Doesn't quite jibe with the media narrative that anti-gay sentiment in France is 99.9% from Muslim immigrants, does it?

I don't know what these people are afraid of: We've had gay marriage up here for seven years, and our society hasn't collapsed!

10 replies, 1790 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply #MortAuxGay ('Death To Gays') Hashtag Trends On Twitter After France Legalizes Gay Marriage (Original post)
Brimley Apr 2013 OP
RKP5637 Apr 2013 #1
awoke_in_2003 Apr 2013 #9
blkmusclmachine Apr 2013 #2
Brimley Apr 2013 #3
Mass Apr 2013 #4
Brimley Apr 2013 #5
Mass Apr 2013 #6
Sunlei Apr 2013 #7
Brimley Apr 2013 #8
Humanist_Activist Apr 2013 #10

Response to Brimley (Original post)

Wed Apr 24, 2013, 09:56 PM

1. There are Bigots and Haters across the world. They just have to have something to hate. Gays

are an easy target for them. If not the gays, then something/one else. I have no idea either what the Bigots and Haters are afraid of ... The world has not ended in Massachusetts or other states where allowed. I would far rather live next door to gays than haters and bigots like these people and those like them.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:29 PM

9. They can look at an example...

closer to home- the Netherlands. First country to legalize gay marriage (2001). They are doing fine.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:40 PM

2. Haters gonna hate.

Reply to this post

Response to blkmusclmachine (Reply #2)

Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:47 PM

3. Yeah

But not really much of an excuse for them, is it?

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:52 PM

4. Which media narrative? Not the French media, certainly.

In France, it will certainly increase the number of marriages, given that most people do not even bother getting married anymore.

Reply to this post

Response to Mass (Reply #4)

Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:55 PM

5. I've seen it on CNN, read it on Salon, in The National Post (up here), etc.

And I'm not even mentioning F----------

Reply to this post

Response to Brimley (Reply #5)

Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:57 PM

6. This is a really stupid meme. It is the far right and the catholic church who are opposed to gay

marriage. And, even if they represent may be 15 % of people, they have always been very good organizing huge protests by busing people from everywhere. These protests are not the biggest that have existed in the last 30 years (though they are large protests and some of their leaders are really frightening).

(Thanks for the answer, I had not seen that).

In the French media, the debate is whether the party of Nicolas Sarkozy (UMP or something like that), was right or wrong to protest along the FN. It seems some RW not belonging to the fringe far right are unhappy with this decision, which is good in itself.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 24, 2013, 11:02 PM

7. isn't a death threat (even on twitter) a crime in France?

Reply to this post

Response to Sunlei (Reply #7)

Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:40 AM

8. Now that's a question I cannot answer

I googled it, but could not find anything definitive. Sorry 'bout that.

Reply to this post

Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:46 PM

10. Much of this has been instigated by the Catholic Church of France, I don't understand why...

the Church leadership isn't thrown in jail for inciting violence.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread