HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Boston Marathon Bombings:...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Apr 22, 2013, 06:06 PM

Boston Marathon Bombings: Turn to Religion Split Bomb Suspects Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's Home

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Law-enforcement officials trying to understand what happened in Boston are looking into whether Tamerlan Tsarnaev had taken a turn toward radical Islam. Among the things they are examining: a six-month trip he took last year to Dagestan, a republic in Russia's south, bordering Chechnya.

Once known as a quiet teenager who aspired to be a boxer, Tamerlan Tsarnaev delved deeply into religion in recent years at the urging of his mother, who feared he was slipping into a life of marijuana, girls and alcohol. Tamerlan quit drinking and smoking, gave up boxing because he thought it was in opposition to his religion, and began pushing the rest of his family to pursue stricter ways, his mother recalled.

"You know how Islam has changed me," his mother, in an interview with The Wall Street Journal in Makhachkala, Dagestan, says he told her.

The changes drove a wedge through the Tsarnaev home at 410 Norfolk St., in Cambridge, Mass. Tamerlan persuaded his mother to cover herself up, which she says at one point distressed her husband, Anzor. "He said, 'You are being crazy, covering yourselves,'" she recalled her husband saying. She said that she told him, "This is what Islamic men should want. This is what I am supposed to do."

Read more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324235304578437131250259170.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEFTTopStories

So he thought boxing was bad but bombing innocent, defenseless people was ok.

Just goes to show that drugs, sex and rock n' roll is not the worst thing your kid could get into. Reminds me of the old Cheech and Chong line, "I used to be messed up on drugs, now I am messed up on the Lord."

1 replies, 802 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Boston Marathon Bombings: Turn to Religion Split Bomb Suspects Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's Home (Original post)
SunSeeker Apr 2013 OP
OKNancy Apr 2013 #1

Response to SunSeeker (Original post)

Mon Apr 22, 2013, 06:10 PM

1. Sorry, but this is not breaking news - Locking

This is a feature/background/analysis article.

Please feel free to post in Good Reads or General Discussion

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink