HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Terror attacks in public ...

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 07:42 PM

Terror attacks in public places force US officials to balance safety, privacy concerns (Fox News)

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by pinto (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Fox News

U.S. intelligence and law-enforcement officials in the immediate aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks focused on such concerns as airport security to prevent another incident in which U.S. commercial airliners could be used as lethal weapons.

However, as improved security made such attacks more difficult, terrorists have instead attempted smaller attacks in crowed, more public spaces, raising questions about the need for more surveillance cameras and other security measures while trying to balance privacy concerns.

However, critics such the American Civil Liberties Union have raised concerns about the expansion of the New York network.

ďOur main concern is that itís unlike most police activity, which is focused on people who are suspected of unlawful activity,Ē Christopher Dunn, of the groupís New York chapter, told Bloomberg News shortly after the Times Square incident.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/20/terror-attacks-in-public-places-force-us-officials-to-balance-safety-privacy/

7 replies, 1117 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Terror attacks in public places force US officials to balance safety, privacy concerns (Fox News) (Original post)
underpants Apr 2013 OP
brucefan Apr 2013 #1
RiverNoord Apr 2013 #2
Name removed Apr 2013 #3
madrchsod Apr 2013 #4
VPStoltz Apr 2013 #5
EmeraldCityGrl Apr 2013 #6
pinto Apr 2013 #7

Response to underpants (Original post)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 08:01 PM

1. Ho hum

Thanks for link

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 08:46 PM

2. Goddamn it - if a violent crime is committed by a Muslim

it's a 'terror' attack. If it's a white guy shooting up a theater or a murdering children at an elementary school, it's an 'incident.' Was there any less terror involved in the Colorado or Newtown shootings than in this bombing?

What exactly is a 'terror' attack anyway - some sort of chemical agent employed to cause extreme fear? The word is 'terrorism' and it is used to describe non-state parties engaging in violence with some sort of political aim. What sort of political aim did these people have? Very likely, nothing.

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 12:04 AM

4. when one is in a public space there is no right to privacy

another non issue by a discredited "news" source

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 01:34 AM

5. Are they saying we have to give up our Constitutional RIGHT to privacy...?

In the interest of public safety?
Does the NRA know about this scandal?
I'm sure it's leadership will blow its top when they hear about it.

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 06:20 AM

6. I have a question.

I would have felt uncomfortable having police go thru my home looking in every
Nook and cranny for the suspect. Because of the circumstances I wouldn't have had
a choice. I have nothing to hide but It would have felt very invasive. If they had found
weed or some other questionable item in someone's home, can they now go back with
a search warrant and arrest the homeowner or search for further reasons? It just seems
after entering every home in the search radius there had to have been some questionable
discoveries.

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 09:34 AM

7. Locking.

Sorry, but we feel this is background / analysis, not Late Breaking News. Suggest re-post in another of DU's main forums. ~ pinto