HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Detroit police accused of...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 02:54 PM

Detroit police accused of 'kidnapping' homeless people, leaving them outside city limits

Source: rt.com

Following a year-long investigation, the ACLU has filed a complaint demanding that Detroit Police halt what it calls the “disturbing practice” of literally driving away the homeless, often leaving them to fend for themselves in unfamiliar areas.

According to complaints received by the civil rights group, Detroit Police officers routinely approach homeless people living in such areas as Greektown, which is popular with tourists, force them into vans, and drive them miles away into often unfamiliar areas.

According to CBS Detroit, there are even cases where officers have allegedly taken any money from the homeless, forcing them to walk back to the city. Several individuals who have come forward describe being dropped off beyond city limits, sometimes in neighboring communities such as River Rouge and Dearborn.

Sarah Mehta, a staff attorney for the ACLU of Michigan who spoke with the local CBS affiliate, says the accusations represent a grave case of discrimination.

“DPD’s practice of essentially kidnapping homeless people and abandoning them miles away from the neighborhoods they know – with no means for a safe return — is inhumane, callous and illegal,” said Mehta. “The city’s desire to hide painful reminders of our economic struggles cannot justify discriminating against the poor, banishing them from their city, and endangering their lives. A person who has lost his home has not lost his right to be treated with dignity.”

Read more: http://rt.com/usa/detroit-kidnapping-homeless-081/

31 replies, 3172 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 31 replies Author Time Post
Reply Detroit police accused of 'kidnapping' homeless people, leaving them outside city limits (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Apr 2013 OP
StrayKat Apr 2013 #1
TheMadMonk Apr 2013 #18
sofa king Apr 2013 #2
CBGLuthier Apr 2013 #3
limpyhobbler Apr 2013 #4
enlightenment Apr 2013 #23
limpyhobbler Apr 2013 #25
Sunlei Apr 2013 #26
limpyhobbler Apr 2013 #27
enlightenment Apr 2013 #29
Llewlladdwr Apr 2013 #30
limpyhobbler Apr 2013 #31
Brigid Apr 2013 #5
Sunlei Apr 2013 #6
drynberg Apr 2013 #10
Spitfire of ATJ Apr 2013 #13
babylonsister Apr 2013 #7
LineReply .
Skittles Apr 2013 #8
azurnoir Apr 2013 #9
Wednesdays Apr 2013 #11
dixiegrrrrl Apr 2013 #15
cvoogt Apr 2013 #12
GeoWilliam750 Apr 2013 #14
AnotherMcIntosh Apr 2013 #16
ileus Apr 2013 #17
Pterodactyl Apr 2013 #19
ReRe Apr 2013 #20
Festivito Apr 2013 #21
ReRe Apr 2013 #24
midnight Apr 2013 #22
Newest Reality Apr 2013 #28

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 02:58 PM

1. This reminds me of Nevada shipping the mentally ill all over the US because it's cheaper

than treating them. But, that isn't considered kidnapping and this is. What's the difference?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to StrayKat (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 10:05 PM

18. Becasue they are "lawfully" in the custody of the mental health system. /nt

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:01 PM

2. "Rambo Rides"

Remember the beginning of First Blood, when Brian Dennehy gives Rambo a ride out of town?

If only Rambo had kept walking away, the world would have been spared the tragedy of Rambo III, and George W. Bush would have been at a loss to identify, much less invade, Afghanistan.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:09 PM

3. When is a crime not a crime?

When either the president or the police do it, it would seem.

For those with no memories, president in this case refers to Nixon and Nixon only who claimed such a prerogative for himself.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:10 PM

4. This is bullshit. We need to legalize homeless camping so rich people are forced to face it.

Last edited Sun Apr 21, 2013, 12:37 PM - Edit history (1)

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #4)

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 11:54 AM

23. "Homes camping"?

I'm not familiar with that phrase. Are you referring to squatters?

Reply to this post

Response to enlightenment (Reply #23)

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 12:38 PM

25. fixed

thanks.
I meant homeless camping. Where the public can see, like in parks, instead of hiding under bridges and such places.

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #25)

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 01:39 PM

26. all it would take is some city land and shelter, even used military tents would do.

Reply to this post

Response to Sunlei (Reply #26)

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 01:47 PM

27. yeah it really wouldn't take much to treat people with a little bit more dignity

Instead of forcing them to hide under bridges.

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #25)

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 08:50 PM

29. Oh! Okay - that makes sense.

Thanks. I know I'm growing increasing out of touch, so I figured it was a new term!

Reply to this post

Response to limpyhobbler (Reply #4)

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 09:36 PM

30. Awesome idea!

How about you go first. Set up a tent in your backyard and move a couple of homeless people in. Let us know how it works out.

Reply to this post

Response to Llewlladdwr (Reply #30)

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 09:53 PM

31. Too late they are already out there.

They camp under a bridge a couple blocks from where I stay at.

I'd feel safer if they came out from the bridge and slept more visibly in the park. I'm not saying to endanger anybody. Rather just allow them to be visible instead of forcing them to hide.

If they were allowed to be seen we might get better public policies.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:14 PM

5. Don't read the comments on this story . . .

Unless you want to be severely depressed.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:18 PM

6. police should be fired when they do this.

Reply to this post

Response to Sunlei (Reply #6)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:45 PM

10. START BY FIRING THE OFFICERS RESPONSIBLE, THEN

Try their asses for Kidnapping, a federal crime! Make 'em do the time. Justice.

Reply to this post

Response to drynberg (Reply #10)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 06:01 PM

13. You don't just drive off without dispatch knowing about it...

This has got to be a policy.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:34 PM

7. Beyond disgusting! nt

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:41 PM

8. .

this is a breakdown of society

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 03:44 PM

9. No surprise here

back in the 1980's Mpls police would do that and dump them in St Paul just on the other side of the Mississippi River

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 05:01 PM

11. Not limited to just Detroit... It's probably all over the country

Ten years ago there were lots of homeless walking the streets of Oklahoma City. Now there are hardly any. You see, developers bought up much of the blighted areas in the city and renovated it. Now there are posh restaurants, luxury hotels, and brand-new stadiums and arenas, complete with sky boxes. See? Problem solved.

Reply to this post

Response to Wednesdays (Reply #11)

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 07:55 PM

15. "greyhound therapy" has been done for decades.

Anyone acting mentally ill who does not live in town or have family to vouch for them, the police would routinely stick on the bus heading out of town, preferably the next county.
I have known it to happen as late as 1998 in our area.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 05:43 PM

12. Atlanta Olympics ...

When the ATL was preparing for the Olympics, the city rounded up the homeless and moved them elsewhere - I don't know where and I don't know who exactly did the moving, but there certainly were fewer homeless in the years following the Olympics. There also used to be low-income housing there, but it got replaced by more dorms for GA Tech, office buildings, condos, etc. I would sometimes bring some food back to share with a few of the people in need, but stopped doing that when there were no such people to be found anymore in that area. I once saw a guy at a downtown gas station who had an open bullet hole in his head (it had been cleaned and was no longer bleeding); he was there because he was self-medicating with a 24-pack of beer. Another time I took a guy to a local fast food place but once we stood in line a few minutes he bolted. Didn't stop me from offering the same to others. Anyway, I guess my point is cities seem to want to sweep it (i.e. "them") under the rug, and I think it's cowardly and does a disservice to the capabilities and capacity for empathy of (much) of the local community.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 06:23 PM

14. Vagrancy Laws

I am not sure how many states, cities and towns still have these. In the past, people without a fixed abode, and/or an onward destination were commonly arrested overnight, and then put on the road outside of town with a warning never to come back. part of the reason for this was that towns/counties typically taxed local citizens to look after the indigent in the county "home" (poorhouse). Thus, many localities did not want the extra burden of non-local indigents in their system.

If you want to understand why social security is such a great concept, read up on the history of the poorhouses. Thank goodness that these are no longer necessary.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 08:19 PM

16. San Francisco police did this during the 60's/70's. Since that was years ago, maybe they've stopped

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 09:09 PM

17. Sounds like a Rambo movie...

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 20, 2013, 11:40 PM

19. So much more efficient since Omni Consumer Products took over the police functions.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 02:16 AM

20. How long has this been going on?

If it just started up recently, then could it be the effect of Detroit's new "Emergency Manager", recently appointed by Rick Snyder? Sounds like something a cut-throat heartless CEO would do, no?

Reply to this post

Response to ReRe (Reply #20)

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 07:00 AM

21. A couple of years ago our city hospital was given away to an investment company.

Note that Obamacare is about to make struggling urban hospitals profitable.

The city does not have the money to handle these mentally ill persons, everyone moved out of the city, the money is in the suburbs. The state won't release money to the City unless the city allows the state to take over what the city owns, e.g. the water department.

So, dropping off the mentally ill back inside Detroit to an area they don't know (because it's a large large city), perhaps an area drug-ridden crime-ridden, poor, maybe empty-abandoned, and in a poor city is meaner than dumping them in richer safer suburbs.

They could dump them in the park by my house at the edge of the city. If they still wanted to get back to the city center, they would still have to walk through the city of Dearborn. That would be the half-way point for that journey. It might be nicer just to leave them closer to Detroit's city center in Dearborn where Ford Motor company sits and funding for schools and police is replete.

I'm not in support of this dumping, but, I ask, who is the real dumper in this story. The police who put them in the van or the voters who vote in Republicans who let them live safely in areas where they can keep such problems off their streets by making some other poor area even poorer by having to pay for the problems they get to ignore.

Reply to this post

Response to Festivito (Reply #21)

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 12:03 PM

24. I guess it's too complicated for the...

... electorate to figure out. They would rather vote Republicans in to lead them around by the rings in their noses, than ask "Why are things the way they are?" Rather than having an open mind and making the effort to try to get the question answered. Cause and effect. "Why are things the way they are and what do we need to do to change them?" Republicans would answer their question by denigrating the mentally ill and poverty stricken, calling them ne'er-do-wells and lazy bums, rather than facing this public problem and getting them the care they so desperately need. Republicans have figured out how to turn off the feeling of "empathy" in the electorate.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 08:19 AM

22. More discrimination....

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 21, 2013, 03:38 PM

28. For those of us who are

teetering on that edge of a couple of paychecks away from losing everything, (or those who know who are) this kind of treatment is a very real concern.

In the polarization of two Americas, I would ask people to consider, honestly, which pole they are most likely to end-up in considering current conditions.

As we see the rapid increase of extreme poverty and obscene, unimaginable affluence, those in the middle will become aware that holding their economic place will become increasingly tenuous. As the great divide continues to create an financial abyss beneath the sore and blistered feet of the middle-class, in what direction do they think they will be going?

How long can the delusion of "becoming rich someday" and "win-the-loterryism persist as the facts sprout-up around you like weeds and locusts?

When you get bussed out of town, will you again get bussed out of there and so on? Where do the homeless then end-up? Don't say, Soylent Green ... yet.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread