HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Senate plan would deport ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Apr 13, 2013, 01:00 PM

Senate plan would deport illegal immigrants entering U.S. after 2011

Source: Reuters

Senators crafting an immigration bill have agreed that foreigners who crossed the U.S. border illegally would be deported if they entered the United States after December 31, 2011, a congressional aide said on Friday.

The legislation by a bipartisan group of senators would give the estimated 11 million immigrants living in the United States illegally a way to obtain legal status and eventually become U.S. citizens, provided certain measures are met.

But of the unauthorized immigrants, those who entered after the December 2011 cut-off date would be forced to go back to their country of origin, said the aide, who was not authorized to speak publicly because the bill is still being negotiated.

"People need to have been in the country long enough to have put down some roots. If you just got here and are illegal, then you can't stay," the congressional aide said.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/13/us-usa-immigration-congress-idUSBRE93B15V20130413

15 replies, 2109 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Paul E Ester (Original post)

Response to Name removed (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 13, 2013, 01:19 PM

2. Whose culture would that be?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Apr 13, 2013, 01:41 PM

3. We need to recognize why people are willing to risk emigrating illegally

Almost every person smuggling them self across the border is a message that there is a nation in need of help.

We need to promote their self sufficiency. I'd like to see that point made in any final bill. If not in the bill then at least on the record.

We are where we are today because reality was inconvenient to how our elected representatives like to operate.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 13, 2013, 02:42 PM

4. This needs press or there will be a last minute flood of people tyrying to take advantage

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 13, 2013, 03:56 PM

5. I notice Reuters are effectively saying AP's PC unit can go screw themselves

with their headline.

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #5)

Sun Apr 14, 2013, 04:12 PM

9. I think the controversy was more about the term "illegals" than "illegal immigrants."

I generally avoid using either, but I think the former is considered more offensive, having become (in general usage) something tantamount to a racial slur.

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #11)

Sun Apr 14, 2013, 06:26 PM

12. Okay. I actually did read that, or a similar article, previously.

And "undocumented" is a better - more accurate, less inflammatory - descriptive than "illegal" anyway.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 13, 2013, 04:02 PM

6. One of the better compromises to come out of this Congress. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 14, 2013, 01:37 AM

7. There is something inately perverse in asking the undocumented for documented evidence

That they have been here all along.

The very nature of their life in the United States is to leave no trace; to be invisible.

Now in order to remain here they must produce documented proof that they have been here all along.

That's a very tall order given the circumstances.

Reply to this post

Response to Xipe Totec (Reply #7)

Sun Apr 14, 2013, 04:19 PM

10. The whole thing does seem needlessly convoluted, if not downright hypocritical.

But with so many Americans foaming at the mouth over immigration - like they always have, really - I realize that it's difficult, politically, to do the right thing, i.e. provide a path to citizenship.

Reply to this post

Response to Xipe Totec (Reply #7)

Mon Apr 15, 2013, 11:48 AM

14. When this was done in the past

in 1986 and, more recently, 2001, evidence of being in the U.S. can be: tax filings, school records, hospital records, apartment leases, bills of sale for vehicles, vaccination records, birth certificates of children born in the U.S., marriage certificates, etc.

There are actually a number of surprising ways to prove that you are indeed present on U.S. soil. These requirements are certainly less burdensome than those for people who are going through the immigration process by the book.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 14, 2013, 08:48 AM

8. I agree there has to be a cut off date, but the end of the year last year would be fair

If they hurry up and actually pass the bill rather than dicking around with it for the rest of the year.

Reply to this post

Response to davidpdx (Reply #8)

Mon Apr 15, 2013, 07:15 AM

13. Repeat

Didn’t we do this with Carter, and then Regan? Agree to let the illegal immigrates stay, then say” Ok, THIS time we are serious, we will start enforcing our laws now”. To me, immigration reform would be to enforce the law, then remove some of the restrictions to immigration.

To keep saying, ok, you can stay but from now on I am serious just smacks of the parent who tells thier children over and over again, "I mean it!, this is your last chance!!!"

/rinse and repeat a few thousand times.

Macoy

Reply to this post

Response to Macoy51 (Reply #13)

Mon Apr 15, 2013, 09:06 PM

15. True

But we have two options: open the boarder and let anyone in, or actually enforce what we say we will.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread