HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Obama says he's 'determin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 06:41 PM

Obama says he's 'determined as ever' for gun bill

Source: AP

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) With time running out on the chance to pass gun control legislation, President Barack Obama on Monday warned Congress not to use delaying tactics against tighter regulations and told families of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims that he's "determined as ever" to honor their children with tougher laws.

Obama's gun control proposals have run into resistance on Capitol Hill, leaving their fate in doubt. Efforts by Senate Democrats to reach compromise with Republicans over expanding required federal background checks have yet to yield an agreement, and conservatives were promising to try blocking the Senate from even beginning debate on gun control legislation.

Some of the Sandy Hook families are making an attempt to push through the bill. Obama met with them privately before his speech at the University of Hartford Monday evening, then planned to bring 11 family members back to Washington aboard Air Force One. They want to meet with senators who've yet to back the legislation to encourage their support in memory of their loved ones.

"If you're an American who wants to do something to prevent more families from knowing the immeasurable anguish that these families know, now is the time to act," Obama said. "Now is the time to get engaged, to get involved, to push back on fear, frustration, and misinformation. Now is the time to make your voice heard from every state house to the corridors of Congress."

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/obama-says-hes-determined-ever-gun-bill-221018585--politics.html

We Deserve A Vote!!!

202-224-3121

202-224-3121

202-224-3121

202-224-3121

202-224-3121

202-224-3121

202-224-3121

202-224-3121

202-224-3121

202-224-3121

7 replies, 1177 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama says he's 'determined as ever' for gun bill (Original post)
onehandle Apr 2013 OP
riverbendviewgal Apr 2013 #1
LoisB Apr 2013 #2
Comrade_McKenzie Apr 2013 #3
LoisB Apr 2013 #4
AnotherMcIntosh Apr 2013 #5
NickB79 Apr 2013 #6
onehandle Apr 2013 #7

Response to onehandle (Original post)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 07:06 PM

1. awesomespeech

He should have named the republicans.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 07:52 PM

2. As determined as he is to "protect" our senior citizens? He has lost all credibility

with me.

Reply to this post

Response to LoisB (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 07:59 PM

3. There are plenty of threads on which to discuss CPI.

I suggest you utilize one of those.

Reply to this post

Response to Comrade_McKenzie (Reply #3)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 10:02 PM

4. Sorry I offended you; I was not discussing anything, merely making a comment.

Reply to this post

Response to LoisB (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 11:43 PM

5. I, for one, think that your point is well taken.

What better way to distract from an important effort to start the destruction of Social Security than to have a "Look, new shiny object" moment?

Even the ACLU is opposed to a national registry. I'm going to send another donation. They know that national registries are compiled in ways to invade privacy and enable more police abuse.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 9, 2013, 06:59 AM

6. Even with a vote, no bills will pass this time

Even if they could clear the Senate, they'd be dead in the GOP-controlled House.

Reply to this post

Response to NickB79 (Reply #6)

Tue Apr 9, 2013, 08:17 AM

7. Clearly.

This is about collecting names.

Who is for the arming of mass killers and rapists?

Put the names on record.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread