HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Brazil investigates popul...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 08:07 PM

Brazil investigates popular ex-president Lula

Source: AFP

BRASILIA ó Brazil has opened a probe into claims linking popular ex-president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to a corruption scandal, threatening to cast a shadow over his political legacy and future.

The Public Ministry ordered police Friday to investigate an alleged payoff by Portugal Telecom to the ruling Workers' Party during Lula's first term in office.

Businessman Marcos Valerio Fernandes de Souza has said the former president and ex-finance minister Antonio Palocci negotiated a $7 million payoff in 2005 with the one-time president of a Portuguese phone company through an account in Macau.

Fernandes de Souza received a 40-year sentence last year after he was found to have run much of the scheme that channeled cash to the ruling party.

Read more: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i5SEsqGX-Jtn4rXaVdTzV9qYNb2A?docId=CNG.4977afbd788401653ee5070e95325ef5.3f1

10 replies, 1768 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Brazil investigates popular ex-president Lula (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Apr 2013 OP
BainsBane Apr 2013 #1
UnrepentantLiberal Apr 2013 #2
BainsBane Apr 2013 #3
Blue_Tires Apr 2013 #10
joshcryer Apr 2013 #4
BainsBane Apr 2013 #5
joshcryer Apr 2013 #6
BainsBane Apr 2013 #7
ocpagu Apr 2013 #8
Judi Lynn Apr 2013 #9

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 09:12 PM

1. I hope it's not true

Awful if it is. Brazil so badly needs to enjoy the legacy of a successful, corruption-free president.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BainsBane (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 10:07 PM

2. Me too.

I really like what Brazil accomplished. I'll be watching this closely.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:29 PM

3. I lived in Salvador da Bahia for a year and a half

and have been to Brazil several times, but not 2000, which is a long time. I love Brazil.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 12, 2013, 04:55 PM

10. +1

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #1)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:36 PM

4. Sounds like the Mensalao scandal resurfacing.

I think though that the connection between Antonio Palocci and any bribes goes back too far and he cleaned up shop long before Mensalao, so I don't think there's any real connection to Lula. Even if Palocci goes down, I don't think there will be ties to Lula.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #4)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:57 PM

5. Have you been to Brazil?

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #5)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 04:15 AM

6. Nah, just follow Latin American politics.

The US has meddled too much in Latin America for far too long, even under presidents like Carter we were pushing buttons and doing crappy stuff, so I root for the success of Latin America. Brazil has done amazing stuff. Lula's reforms were some of the best moves possible, social democracy works, and Brazil put so much into ending poverty.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #6)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 02:07 PM

7. It's not common these days

for Americans to follow LA politics. It's great you do.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Fri Apr 12, 2013, 04:32 PM

8. The Brazilian justice is politicized, covertly partisan, and biased.

It comes from a very old, right-wing, oligarchic structure, it is extremely conservative and influenced by tradition, and this characteristics survived all the progressist attempts of change. The Brazilian Supreme Court has been largely criticized and even convicted by international Courts for disgusting RECENT decisions (such as absolving a man from the accusation of rape because his 13 year old victim was a "prostitute", and their rule in favor of the the legality of self-imposed amnesty as a way to grant impunity).

The mensal„o started much, much before members from the Workers Party became involved, and was created by the current opposition. None of the intellectual authors of the mensal„o have been condemned. And some of the worker's party members were, in fact, found guilty without any evidences. Dirceu, for example, was convicted because he was "in a position of power" (as no proofs were presented that he even know about the scheme), with basis in an theory the Justices imported from German law, the "theory of the domain of the fact" - that had never been used in Brazil before. Worse, the jurist that created the concept said that the application of it in mensal„o was completely wrong.

The Supreme Court is acting as an actor of the political game, favoring the opposition. As in 1964, many of them think that enough is enough.

Reply to this post

Response to ocpagu (Reply #8)

Fri Apr 12, 2013, 04:45 PM

9. Also, our own corporate media repeat information delivered through Brazilian right-wing

media, which completely control public perception in your country all these long years, right?

We in the U.S., and elsewhere outside Brazil are getting duplicated hard-right ((((((( spin )))))), with no clean investigative reporting, the kind most alert Brazilian citizens recognize as not credible due to the heavy right-wing interpretation of events.

We don't really "get" too much of the truth is my guess, any more than we get about Venezuela.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread