HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » J. David Kuo, Who Split F...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 06:36 PM

J. David Kuo, Who Split From Bush Faith Effort, Dies at 44

Source: New York Times

J. David Kuo, Who Split From Bush Faith Effort, Dies at 44
By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
Published: April 6, 2013

WASHINGTON — J. David Kuo, an evangelical Christian who served as a leader in President George W. Bush’s faith initiative but later became a critic, died on Friday. He was 44.

Mr. Kuo’s family announced his death on his Facebook page on Saturday.

“Last night at 10:25 our beloved David found his reward in heaven, with his savior Jesus Christ,” the family wrote. “With a peaceful last breath, he won his courageous 10-year battle against brain cancer.”

As deputy director of Mr. Bush’s Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, Mr. Kuo was instrumental in implementing Mr. Bush’s promise to link the nation’s religious groups with the delivery of social services.

Campaigning for the Republican presidential nomination in 1999, Mr. Bush promised to invigorate “a civil society,” telling The Washington Post that he would encourage churches and charities to be “little armies of compassion.” The faith-based office was the result of that promise.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/us/j-david-kuo-44-is-dead-split-from-bush-faith-initiative.html

21 replies, 6957 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply J. David Kuo, Who Split From Bush Faith Effort, Dies at 44 (Original post)
Judi Lynn Apr 2013 OP
alp227 Apr 2013 #1
OmahaBlueDog Apr 2013 #2
freshwest Apr 2013 #5
LineLineLineNew Reply 2
PolitFreak Apr 2013 #20
hrmjustin Apr 2013 #3
Trajan Apr 2013 #4
Efilroft Sul Apr 2013 #6
riverbendviewgal Apr 2013 #7
sdfernando Apr 2013 #9
riverbendviewgal Apr 2013 #12
SteveG Apr 2013 #11
riverbendviewgal Apr 2013 #13
hrmjustin Apr 2013 #8
VirginiaTarheel Apr 2013 #14
Trajan Apr 2013 #15
davidwparker Apr 2013 #10
ground-0-under2demo Apr 2013 #16
renate Apr 2013 #18
In_The_Wind Apr 2013 #21
Kolesar Apr 2013 #17
formercia Apr 2013 #19

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 06:42 PM

1. He used to be a liberal...

" Mr. Kuo wrote in his memoir that he started life as a liberal but later embraced religion and conservatism. (He voted for Michael S. Dukakis, the Democratic candidate for president, in 1988 and later interned in the office of Senator Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts.) "

And he was an outspoken critic of dim son:

" “Conservative Christians (like me) were promised that having an evangelical like Mr. Bush in office was a dream come true,” Mr. Kuo wrote in an opinion article in The New York Times in 2006. “Well, it wasn’t. Not by a long shot. The administration accomplished little that evangelicals really cared about.” "

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/16/opinion/16kuo.html?pagewanted=all

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 07:20 PM

2. Too damn young

RIP.. even if we disagreed on politics

Reply to this post

Response to OmahaBlueDog (Reply #2)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 08:18 PM

5. +1

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #5)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 07:46 PM

20. 2

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 07:22 PM

3. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 07:41 PM

4. RIP David ...

I am endlessly fascinated by the language used here .... 'Found his reward in heaven' .... 'Won his battle against brain cancer'

One finds this kind of dissociative reasoning in theism .... So far As I know - The man is still on earth, and claims otherwise have no basis in reality .... And only the most twisted logic would call dying from cancer 'winning the battle against cancer' ....

I regret bringing it up here, but this is where it is presented. It just seems so far afield from simple logic to make these kinds of statements ...

Reply to this post

Response to Trajan (Reply #4)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 08:21 PM

6. + 1 reality

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 08:24 PM

7. My son had brain tumor cancer - GlioBlastma Multiforme

same cancer as Ted Kennedy...Kevin was almost 25 when he had his first seizures and had his brain surgery 3 days later He was aware of what his chances were - 5 percent live beyond 2 years. Yet he was cheerful and was determined to "lick" it and keep himself healthy as possible He had just gotten engaged. Long story short, he went for his third surgery 17 months after all his treatments when the cancer started growing again. He had seizures during the surgery and spent 4 weeks in intensive care, just able to talk barely and move one finger....His last week was spent in palliative care in the hospital

During his treatments he would roller blade to his radiation. His fiancee and he tried to live as normal as possible.

He Never went to religion for any hope...He was not raised in an organized religion. He was just a loving person (didn't kill spiders)
Yet he went to group counseling with those like him with terminal disease to encourage and be encouraged.
When we had his memorial it was quite amazing to meet all the young people in his group who told me how much he encouraged them to live for the day and not give up. He made people laugh when they thought they never ever could again. It was also so comforting when someone told me that they never believed in angels but when they met Kevin they knew there were angels Sweet for a mom to hear.

Religion did not give him this strength. The love of his family and his friends did.

PS: There were NO medical bills up here to have to pay...It is universal health care
He died in 1999 and I still miss him every day...Also his dad was diagnosed with Non Hogkins' two months after him and lived 18 months longer, dying in 2001.
For me...I am not religious. I get angry when people use religion with hatred and prejudice and not love.

Reply to this post

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #7)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 10:20 PM

9. I am so sorry for your loses.

I teared up reading your posting. I think I would have liked to meet your son and would have been a better man for it.

Peace.

Reply to this post

Response to sdfernando (Reply #9)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:07 PM

12. Thank you

I appreciate your kind words. Peace and love

Reply to this post

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #7)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:07 PM

11. My heart goes out to you

I lost my eldest son in 1998 to Chronic Mylogus Leukemia just before his 25th birthday. He too, never gave up and fought to the end. His courage (like your son's) gave me strength I never knew was in me. He gave me the determination to live on and be a much better person than I knew I could be. I think of him everyday, and miss him, but know that he would lose all respect for me if I fail to live fully for every day that I might have. I have learned to embrace the following thought from Marcus Aurelius, Emperor of Rome and Stoic philosopher.

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Reply to this post

Response to SteveG (Reply #11)

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 11:11 PM

13. I too share your grief

It is so hard to lose a child, not mater how old or young. I too feel my son like yours gave me courage to live on. I do thank you for the Marcua aurelius words. They are so true.

Our sons lived a noble life and many will keep remembering them.

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 08:24 PM

8. Many religious people say stuff like that.

We believe that the soul is resurrected.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 12:55 AM

14. We Believe in Jesus

Jesus said, " "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
--John 11:25

Reply to this post

Response to VirginiaTarheel (Reply #14)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 02:39 AM

15. Don't mind me ...

Just pointing out the incongruity of faith as it relates to human death .. How it forces extreme twists of logic in order to follow through with it's own precepts ...

But I don't want to hijack this thread .... It's about a man who died and who's family grieves ... I respect that ...

Reply to this post

Sat Apr 6, 2013, 10:50 PM

10. Heard this on MSNBC this afternoon. A decent guy. RIP. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 02:48 AM

16. Nam my oh renge kyo

Trajan, I agree with you.
I did not know Mr Kuo, I am certain he was a fine human being
and I hope the best for his loved ones.

when my daughter died of a brain tumor at age 22, christians said
the darnedest things!

"the good die young." ??? I have 3 other children and Robbyn left
us our first granddaughter~are they not good?

Reply to this post

Response to ground-0-under2demo (Reply #16)

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 06:52 PM

18. welcome to DU, and I am so sorry for your loss

Like the people who said those empty words to you, I don't know what to say, except to offer my sincere condolences... which I realize can't even scratch the surface of what I would like to convey.

Reply to this post

Response to ground-0-under2demo (Reply #16)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 10:40 AM

21. I'm so sorry for your loss. Welcome to DU.

I hope you are happy here.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 06:22 AM

17. He wanted tons of public money and his church would be the gatekeeper of social programs

Why could not he get his parishioners to fund the disadvantaged? It would have been a better use of money than building a fancy temple. I am disappointed that Americans are stingy and not generous. American households can budget $100/month for cable TV, but they can't aid children whose parents have lost their incomes.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 7, 2013, 07:09 PM

19. Isn't it strange?

So many people who associate themselves with Bush Gang, die of Brain Cancer.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread