HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Judge throws out most Col...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Mar 29, 2013, 11:58 AM

Judge throws out most Coldwater Creek cancer claims

Source: St. Louis Post-dispatch

Attorneys for Mallinckrodt, which is now known as Covidien pharmaceuticals, did not respond for comment. A spokeswoman for the Hazelwood-based company has said its operations did not involve the disposal or cleanup of contaminated debris from uranium processing.

The people suing Mallinckrodt are seeking compensation similar to that awarded to the company’s former workers. People who worked at the company’s locations around St. Louis, including waste sites near the airport, and developed one of 22 cancers are eligible for payment of medical expenses plus $150,000.

The lead plaintiff in the first lawsuit is Scott McClurg, 40, a professor at Southern Illinois University Carbondale who grew up in Florissant and has been treated for brain cancer. McClurg did not respond to an interview request. Other plaintiffs include a woman who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at age 18. McClurg and classmates from McCluer North High School in the late 1980s and early 1990s reconnected through Facebook in 2011 and noticed numerous cancer diagnoses among their families.

Scientists are almost always stumped by investigations into suspected cancer clusters because of the complexity of the disease and the difficulty in measuring exposures to carcinogens. Thousands of potential clusters are reported to health departments in the U.S. each year, but most instances that do turn up high cancer rates are never linked to a specific cause.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/health/judge-throws-out-most-coldwater-creek-cancer-claims/article_1101cc0c-7185-534f-89ff-870a322ff042.html

4 replies, 1398 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judge throws out most Coldwater Creek cancer claims (Original post)
pstokely Mar 2013 OP
ReRe Mar 2013 #1
Bay Boy Mar 2013 #2
Chellee Mar 2013 #3
Bay Boy Mar 2013 #4

Response to pstokely (Original post)

Fri Mar 29, 2013, 12:13 PM

1. God...oops, I mean Judge, says it isn't so...

Also, count the lawyers.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to pstokely (Original post)

Fri Mar 29, 2013, 12:18 PM

2. My wife buys alot of clothes from Coldwater Creek

They're causing her cancer?

Reply to this post

Response to Bay Boy (Reply #2)

Fri Mar 29, 2013, 12:32 PM

3. Not that Coldwater Creek.

From the article:

The St. Louis Airport Site (SLAPS) that used to have radioactive waste stored on the land, located on the north side of Lambert-St. Louis International Airport just off of James S. McDonnell Boulevard, as seen on Friday, Feb. 24, 2012. The SLAPS area abuts Coldwater Creek which runs north from the airport through north St. Louis County into the Missouri River. Photo By David Carson dcarson@post-dispatch.com

Reply to this post

Response to Chellee (Reply #3)

Fri Mar 29, 2013, 01:37 PM

4. Oh, that's good...

...I actually thought it might have had something to do with the catalog company when I read the headline. The story did indicate it was something completely different.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread