Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:11 PM
alp227 (20,975 posts)
Rat at Fukushima Plant May Have Caused Blackout
TOKYO – The operator of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant said Wednesday that it had found what it believes was the cause of an extended blackout that disabled vital cooling systems earlier this week: the charred body of a rat.
The operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company, said when its engineers looked inside a faulty switchboard, they found burn marks and the rodent’s scorched body. The company said it appeared that the rat had somehow short-circuited the switchboard, possibly by gnawing on cables.
The company, known as Tepco, has blamed problems with the switchboard for the power failure that began Monday, cutting off the flow of cooling water to four pools used to store more than 8,800 nuclear fuel rods. It took Tepco almost a day to restore cooling to the first of the affected pools, with cooling of the final pool resuming early Wednesday.
Tepco said it would have taken several days for temperatures in the pools to have risen above the safe level of 65 degrees Celsius, or 149 degrees Fahrenheit. Still, the blackout served as an uncomfortable reminder to many Japanese about the continuing vulnerability of the plant, which suffered a triple meltdown in March 2011 after a huge earthquake and tsunami knocked out cooling systems. It was the worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl.
Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/world/asia/rat-at-fukushima-plant.html
29 replies, 1628 views
Rat at Fukushima Plant May Have Caused Blackout (Original post)
|magical thyme||Mar 20||#13|
|mountain grammy||Mar 20||#22|
Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #3)
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:27 PM
madokie (36,942 posts)
10. Rats by the names of little boots and darth cheney
Probably should have been darth cheney and little boots. Either way you know who I was alluding to, my bet is anyway
Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #11)
Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:45 PM
Brigid (10,732 posts)
18. Years ago, a squirrel took out a whole neighborhood here.
Last edited Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:46 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
It got into a transformer and chewed the wires. The neighborhood is full of old wood frame houses; it's lucky the whole area didn't go up in flames.