HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Haiti Prisoners Testify i...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Mar 7, 2013, 06:49 PM

Haiti Prisoners Testify in 'Baby Doc' Case

Source: Associated Press

Haiti Prisoners Testify in 'Baby Doc' Case
By EVENS SANON and TRENTON DANIEL Associated Press
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti March 8, 2013 (AP)

Two men testified before a three-judge appeals panel Thursday that they were imprisoned in ghastly conditions for months without charge under the government of former dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier.

Agronomist Alix Fils-Aime described his time at the Fort Dimanche prison in the 1970s, saying most of the people held with him were tortured and killed.

"I was able to hear people being beaten, dragged in the hallway, and I could hear women screaming as they were being forced to have sexual relations with the guard," he said.

The former ruler known as "Baby Doc" surprised many in Haiti a week ago when he showed up in court to defend his past government following three earlier no-shows. Duvalier described the era as a better time for Haiti.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/haiti-prisoners-testify-baby-doc-case-18679139

1 replies, 723 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Haiti Prisoners Testify in 'Baby Doc' Case (Original post)
Judi Lynn Mar 2013 OP
McCamy Taylor Mar 2013 #1

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Thu Mar 7, 2013, 06:53 PM

1. This trial needs to move to a world court. Baby Doc will intimidate the judges, jurors and witnesses

in Haiti. His people will likely threaten to kill anyone who helps win a conviction. Trying him in Haiti is like asking a warlord to stand trial in front a jury made up of his own soldiers.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread