HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Miss. town stunned by kil...

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:40 AM

Miss. town stunned by killing of gay mayoral candidate

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: USA Today

Law enforcement agents on Wednesday afternoon confirmed that the body found near the Mississippi River is that of Clarksdale mayoral candidate Marco McMillian, who had been missing since early Tuesday.

Coahoma County Sheriff's Department made the announcement at a news conference.

The body was found around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday near the levee between Sherard and Rena Lara.

A person of interest has been taken into custody, but sheriff's officials didn't provide the name or where the person is being held. Other authorities, though, have identified the suspect as Lawrence Reed, 22, of Clarksdale.

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/02/28/gay-murder-mississippi-politics/1953187/

Yep, SCOTUS. Civil Rights are an issue for the past. We dont need them anymore. They are just entitlements. There is no homophobic prejudice or racially charged violence around today.

7 replies, 1049 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Miss. town stunned by killing of gay mayoral candidate (Original post)
midwest irish Feb 2013 OP
MynameisBlarney Feb 2013 #1
bluedigger Feb 2013 #2
MynameisBlarney Feb 2013 #3
bluedigger Feb 2013 #5
LonePirate Feb 2013 #4
RKP5637 Feb 2013 #6
OKNancy Feb 2013 #7

Response to midwest irish (Original post)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:46 AM

1. Too early of course to know exactly what happened.

But my gut tells me the Klan is involved.

Hope I'm wrong.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:48 AM

2. I'm not sure this was a hate crime.

"McMillian was discovered absent after an accident involving his SUV happened around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday near the Coahoma County-Tallahatchie County line. Reed, who was driving McMillian's SUV, had collided head-on with another vehicle."

Reed is the person of interest for the crime. It sounds more like a simple carjacking and murder, pending more details. Why would he be assassinated and left in the open to be found, and the vehicle removed from the scene? Doesn't make much sense.

Response to bluedigger (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:54 AM

3. You are probably right

Just seems a bit too coincidental right after Scalia's racist bullshit yesterday.

I am probably reading WAY too much into it.

Response to MynameisBlarney (Reply #3)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:59 AM

5. Naturally.

We all want to make the facts fit our prejudices. Me, too. But this one just doesn't add up, so I'm leaning against it. And honestly, I'll be disappointed if I'm wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time human nature has let me down.

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 10:56 AM

4. People were stunned a high profile openly gay black man was murdered in MS? Really?

I am not stunned by the news of his murder. I am stunned by the fact that there was an openly gay, black mayoral candidate in MS. I applaud his bravery for running. His death is sad news without a doubt.

Response to LonePirate (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:02 AM

6. Same here, an incredibly brave individual and to be a mayoral candidate.

I haven't been in MS in years, but from what I understand it's certainly not an openly gay, black friendly place. Incredible courage.

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:04 AM

7. duplicate topic - locking