HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Sheriff: Suspect in fatal...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 03:21 PM

Sheriff: Suspect in fatal shooting of California police officers had body armor, 3 guns.

Source: Associated Press

Sheriff: Suspect in fatal shooting of California police officers had body armor, 3 guns.
Article by: MARTHA MENDOZA and JASON DEAREN , Associated Press
Updated: February 27, 2013 - 2:10

SANTA CRUZ, Calif. - Sheriff's officials say the suspect in the killing of two California police detectives had body armor and three guns.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff Phil Wowak said Wednesday that the body armor and guns were found on 35-year-old Jeremy Goulet after he was shot and killed by authorities.

Authorities say Goulet shot and killed Sgt. Loran Butch Baker and Detective Elizabeth Butler on Tuesday afternoon at the doorstep of Goulet's home.

The detectives wanted to question him regarding a report that he had made inappropriate sexual advances toward a co-worker.

Read more: http://www.startribune.com/nation/193551391.html

11 replies, 2448 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Sheriff: Suspect in fatal shooting of California police officers had body armor, 3 guns. (Original post)
Judi Lynn Feb 2013 OP
bluedigger Feb 2013 #1
bossy22 Feb 2013 #8
bluedigger Feb 2013 #9
Remmah2 Feb 2013 #2
eggplant Feb 2013 #3
Remmah2 Feb 2013 #5
RexDart Feb 2013 #6
Paul E Ester Feb 2013 #4
brett_jv Feb 2013 #7
bluedigger Feb 2013 #10
octothorpe Feb 2013 #11

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 03:29 PM

1. Hey, other than being a convicted Peeping Tom he was a law abiding citizen.

He needed that stuff to protect his rights.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to bluedigger (Reply #1)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 09:52 PM

8. if you ignore the 2 years in jail

you are 100% right

Reply to this post

Response to bossy22 (Reply #8)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 09:54 PM

9. Not the first time I've been told that.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 03:55 PM

2. Another poster child for gun control voted off the planet.

If he had body armor how did they shoot him?

Reply to this post

Response to Remmah2 (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 05:09 PM

3. It's not a moon suit. Think about it. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to eggplant (Reply #3)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 06:11 PM

5. Sometimes

Sometimes the press reports it as body armor and it's a black cotton vest. LOL stupid media. Moon suit not necessary. Possibly anti-gravity boots.

Reply to this post

Response to Remmah2 (Reply #2)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 08:03 PM

6. This might answer your question

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_22680203/santa-cruz-shootout-caught-video

The correct answer is many, many times. The first 8-10 shots are Goulet's. From that point on it was all law enforcement. It's starting to sound like this was a suicide by cop run. I'm glad they took Goulet down hard, there is a Whole Foods right across the street from this and if he had gone that way in the car, gods know what might have happened. There are more links and info at the Sentinel web site. I'd link more, but I'm out the door to a community meet/memorial at Louden Nelson park.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 05:22 PM

4. He stole 2 of the guns and the body armor from the 2 dead police officers.

Not only did he legally own guns, he apparently was a licensed pilot. Hard to believe a peeping tom carrying a gun was not convicted of a felony.

In Oregon:

"Goulet was charged with the felony crimes of attempted murder, unlawful use of a weapon and first-degree burglary for allegedly propping the stick into the window. He also faced misdemeanor charges of carrying a gun without a concealed weapons permit and invasion of privacy for peeping.

After a full day of deliberations Friday, the 12-person jury found Goulet not guilty of attempted murder and the other felonies, and guilty of the two misdemeanors.

Some jurors said they wanted to convict him of more but lacked the evidence to do so."

Because Oregon law doesn't consider peeping a sex offense, Goulet won't have to register as a sex offender.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/05/jury_weighs_peeping_tom_case.html

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 09:37 PM

7. Wait ... so it's an actual CRIME to make 'inappropriate sexual advances towards a coworker'?

I'm not condoning it, I'm just saying I had no idea that the cops could show up at your door for pinching the secretary's bum or whatever.

I always thought it was the kind of thing that companies get sued for, so you could get fired and maybe sued yourself for doing it. No idea it's actually the kind of thing where a reporting of it makes the cops come.

On a related note, I'm glad they took this bastard down. Screw paying for trial and imprisonment and the 10 year wait to execute this f***er.

Reply to this post

Response to brett_jv (Reply #7)

Wed Feb 27, 2013, 10:01 PM

10. No, it's a crime to commit a "misdemeanor sexual assault".

Pinching someone's bum would be battery at the least, I think.

Reply to this post

Response to brett_jv (Reply #7)

Thu Feb 28, 2013, 01:08 PM

11. Given the guy's history and the way it escalated

I'm willing to bet it was more than a simple unwanted come on or comment.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread