HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Former Salvadoran general...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:57 PM

Former Salvadoran general: I did not commit or order acts of torture, killings in civil war

Source: Associated Press

Former Salvadoran general: I did not commit or order acts of torture, killings in civil war
By Christine Armario, The Associated Press February 26, 2013 7:04 PM

MIAMI - A former Central American general took the stand in his own defence at a deportation hearing on Tuesday, saying he did not commit or order any acts of torture or extrajudicial killings during El Salvador's brutal civil war.

Jose Guillermo Garcia did acknowledge that he knew members of the military were committing abuses against civilians.

"This was something that was public knowledge," Garcia said in Spanish through a translator. "That's something that can't be denied."

Garcia was appointed as El Salvador's defence minister in 1979, at the start of the country's civil war, and resigned three and a half years later. He has lived in Plantation, Fla., for the last 25 years, after claiming and receiving political asylum. The U.S. government is seeking his deportation under a 2004 law that aims to stop human rights abusers from taking refuge in the U.S.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Former+Salvadoran+general+commit+order+acts+torture+killings+civil/8019933/story.html

Jose Guillermo Garcia

3 replies, 1027 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Former Salvadoran general: I did not commit or order acts of torture, killings in civil war (Original post)
Judi Lynn Feb 2013 OP
The Magistrate Feb 2013 #1
matwilson Feb 2013 #2
SamKnause Feb 2013 #3

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:00 PM

1. He Was In Charge, Ma'am: He Was Responsible

He ought to be hanged.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 08:20 PM

3. Former General

He certainly has a distorted view of reality.

He was in charge.

He knew about the abuse.

Those in charge usually get their underlings to do their dirty work.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread