HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Hotter, wetter climate sl...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:50 PM

Hotter, wetter climate slashes labor capacity by 10 percent: U.S. study

Source: Reuters

Earth's increasingly hot, wet climate has cut the amount of work people can do in the worst heat by about 10 percent in the past six decades, and that loss in labor capacity could double by mid-century, U.S. government scientists reported on Sunday.

Because warmer air can hold more moisture than cooler air, there's more absolute humidity in the atmosphere now than there used to be. And as anyone who has sweltered through a hot, muggy summer knows, it's more stressful to work through hot months when the humidity is high.
>
A more extreme scenario of future global warming, which estimated a temperature rise of 10.8 degrees F (6 degrees C), would make it difficult to work in the hottest months in many parts of the world, Dunne said at a telephone briefing.

Labor capacity would be all but eliminated in the lower Mississippi Valley and most of the United States east of the Rocky Mountains would be exposed to heat stress "beyond anything experienced in the world today," he said.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/24/us-climate-labor-idUSBRE91N0CN20130224

7 replies, 2088 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hotter, wetter climate slashes labor capacity by 10 percent: U.S. study (Original post)
Teamster Jeff Feb 2013 OP
pscot Feb 2013 #1
alfredo Feb 2013 #2
aint_no_life_nowhere Feb 2013 #3
SkyDaddy7 Feb 2013 #5
raccoon Feb 2013 #7
Nika Feb 2013 #6
shcrane71 Feb 2013 #4

Response to Teamster Jeff (Original post)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:47 PM

1. No problemo

We'll just crank up the AC.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:49 PM

2. One reason the Euros saw the Mexicans as lazy was that they laid off work during the hottest

time of day. They weren't lazy, they were smart.

"Mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun."

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 03:13 PM

3. I lived in Savannah, Georgia when I was a kid in the 60s

and the humidity was almost 100% (it's surrounded by swamps) and the summer heat was unbearable. I developed a problem with my lungs where I couldn't breathe in that humidity and several times I passed out. I don't see how anyone could function in that type of climate, especially doing anything physical. Now I live in southern California and we could use some rainfall as Feb.-Mar. is usually the rainy season and there's barely been a drop this year.

Reply to this post

Response to aint_no_life_nowhere (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 07:19 AM

5. YES!!

I was born, raised & currently live in Georgia & YES I know the type of hot humid summer days you are talking about...It is horrible! You sweat but it does not evaporate & cool you down it just sits on you & makes you hotter not to mention pasty & wet all the time day & night!!

Just imagine what it will be like in 2050...2100?!?!?!

I hate to say this but my wife & I had the ability to have children stolen from us not even a year after we married. My wife was in an almost fatal car wreck then 5yrs after that my wife had just got back to work & I suffered a spinal cord injury that basically sealed deal on us having a family! We were upset but now we are actually pleased we don't have to worry about what their futures would be like & how badly they may have to suffer by the time they are 50yrs old if not before.

It really sucks because I have followed the issue of climate change since that day James Hanson introduced the world to the evidence for the Greenhouse Effect...EVERYTHING the scientist have been saying for decades is coming true. And if anyone tries to stress just how important this is then you are declared to be an "alarmist"...Bust even a chimp who has followed the SCIENCE knows we are literally committing suicide as a civilized technologically advanced human race. SAD!

Reply to this post

Response to SkyDaddy7 (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:28 PM

7. Amen to that. Lifelong resident of SC, hot and humid. Basically during the hot months I hibernate

indoors.

Reply to this post

Response to aint_no_life_nowhere (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 06:07 PM

6. It's cool and dry in Eugene, Oregon most of the summer,

but I remember well growing up in Clinton, Connecticut and wanting to die in the hot, humid summers there.

I shutter to think how much hotter and humid it is there in the 21st Century. (I moved in the 1970s.)

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 05:11 PM

4. Hot damn. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread