HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Firefighters save blind d...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:28 AM

Firefighters save blind dog

Source: Washington Post

When fire broke out in a home in the Maryland community of Accokeek on Saturday, Coco couldn’t see it. He is a tiny Shiatsu, and he is blind.

It was a serious fire, enough to prompt two occupants to escape. Firefighters from Prince George’s and Charles County counties arrived and spent 20 minutes knocking down the bulk of the fire, officials said. But no Coco.

Firefighters found him in the kitchen, carried him out and handed him to an EMS crew that provided aid, fire officials said. The dog chugged down a “a few breaths of oxygen,” appeared to be fine, and was reunited with his owners, fire officials said.

Mark Brady, a spokesman for the Prince George’s fire department, said the cause of the blaze is still under investigation, but investigators believe the home was void of any working smoke alarms. The fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damage, Brady said.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/firefighters-save-blind-dog/2013/02/23/c64d9e34-7e0c-11e2-a044-676856536b40_story.html?hpid=z4

Happy Sunday.

19 replies, 2958 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Faygo Kid (Original post)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:45 AM

1. Bless their hearts a million times over

I misread the OP the first time, somehow thinking it was an apartment building. I don't understand how anybody could leave their furfamily behind. I still remember decades ago my aunt reaming me out when her daughter started a small kitchen fire and I ran a few steps back to my bedroom to collect my guinea pig. Sorry Aunt Bxxxx, but I will not abandon my family.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to magical thyme (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:05 PM

5. I'm with you, Magic. nt

Reply to this post

Response to magical thyme (Reply #1)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 04:14 PM

12. While I understand the sentiment...

I almost died because I tried to find my pets during a house fire. They had hidden because of the fire and smoke and I didn't have enough time to even find one. I had to crawl out of my house totally blind, on my knees, and unable to breathe.

Luckily, the fire department is only a few blocks away, so the firefighters were able to save two dogs and two cats. My birds were only a few feet from where the fire started, so they were dead before I even knew there was a fire.

As a somewhat amusing aside, I went to a nearby business to call the fire department after I got out of my house. When I got the 911 operator and reported my house on fire, she actually asked me: "Why aren't you calling from your house?"

Reply to this post

Response to bpollen (Reply #12)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 04:18 PM

13. I tried to get my cats out....

but they hid, and I had to save myself, so I had to leave them. Luckily for me, they all survived.

Reply to this post

Response to bpollen (Reply #12)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:55 PM

14. I am so sorry you lost your birds

I worry about my birds too. Hopefully my dogs will not hide in such a situation. Unfortunately, with propane hot water and stove, my fear is we'll all be blown to smithereens before we know there is a fire.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:15 AM

2. Why didn't he owners at least try to get their dog out or tell someone he was there?

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:43 AM

3. Kicked and recommended.

Thanks for the thread, Faygo Kid.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:04 PM

4. Awww. Poor little fella. The owners couldn't grab him on their way out?

This happens far too often. I'm going to make a plan on an exit strategy to get my dogs out with me, in the event of a fire when I'm home. I could never forgive myself if my dogs died or got injured because I hadn't planned for an emergency for them.

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:54 PM

10. I have a forever nightmare that something is happening dangerous in my house

and my number one priority is getting my dogs out safe. After thirty years with this recurring nightmare, it's hardwired.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:11 PM

6. Time To Mention Smoke Alarms AS Well

Have family? Have fur family? You can't afford not to have a working smoke detector. It's up to you to care for those who can't always defend themselves in a disaster of this magnitude.

Reply to this post

Response to grilled onions (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:35 PM

8. In a disaster like this, my priorities are:

1. Spouse
2. Furbabies
3. Unimportant stuff, if time and can be done safely

When we retired and were looking for a place, the top deal breaker was a place that didn't allow pets.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:26 PM

7. Looks like a shih-tzu.

Shiatsu is Japanese massage. WaPo should know the diff.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:48 PM

9. This becomes a real problem

when you have several pets (6 here). Hoping that the ones not caught & taken out by us would exit via the doggy door, but afraid they would just hide & hunker down in the nearest place they thought would be safe.

Reply to this post

Response to narnian60 (Reply #9)

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:53 PM

11. Cats will tend to do that -

They'll hid in a closet, or in/under furniture, and their people can't find them in an emergency.

If something happened in our house, two of the cats would hide and we wouldn't be able to get them out quickly. Only one would try to find us or get out - she was a pound rescue that has a fear of fire and fire alarm sounds (like my alarm clock) so I'm pretty sure she's already survived a fire before.

Haele

Reply to this post

Response to haele (Reply #11)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:28 AM

17. I have a notification on my apartment door alerting firefighters that I have cats & # of them.

It makes me feel a little more secure about giving them a chance if a fire breaks out and I'm not home.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:38 PM

15. people, ensure you have a working smoke alarm!!!

SO important; also, make sure you test it regularly

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 08:19 AM

16. Isn't Shiatsu a form of massage? Whatever, at least the sweet little guy is ok!

Reply to this post

Response to catbyte (Reply #16)

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 02:37 PM

19. You're right....The dog is a Shih Tzu, and Bless his little heart

Thanks to Faygo Kid for posting this.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:03 AM

18. Great that they managed to save the dog

Still for me, I would always try to get out myself first, depending on how serious the situation is.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread