HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Flu shot doing poor job o...

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:48 AM

Flu shot doing poor job of protecting older people

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by OKNancy (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Tampa Bay Times

Flu shot doing poor job of protecting older people

By MIKE STOBBE
AP Medical Writer

ATLANTA (AP) -- It turns out this year's flu shot is doing a startlingly dismal job of protecting older people, the most vulnerable age group.

The vaccine is proving only 9 percent effective in those 65 and older against the harsh strain of the flu that is predominant this season, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday.

Health officials are baffled as to why this is so. But the findings help explain why so many older people have been hospitalized with the flu this year.

Despite the findings, the CDC stood by its recommendation that everyone over 6 months get flu shots, the elderly included, because some protection is better than none, and because those who are vaccinated and still get sick may suffer less severe symptoms.

"Year in and year out, the vaccine is the best protection we have," said CDC flu expert Dr. Joseph Bresee.

More at link...

Read more: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MED_FLU_VACCINE?SITE=FLPET&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Nine percent is not worth the risks that come with these shots....

10 replies, 1027 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to SugarShack (Original post)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:55 AM

1. I have many elderly friends, acquaintances and relatives...and they're right--it ain't working. nt

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 09:57 AM

2. I can vouch for this! My husband got the shot and the flu.

Of course, I got the flu from him. He always gets the shot, but I never do and I've not had the flu for years and years. I guess it would not have made a difference if I'd gotten the shot. We're both over 60 and this information does not make it more likely that I will get the shot in the future!

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:03 AM

3. Well Geez. I did get a shot this year and I didn't get the flu yet, but there's still time I guess.

I will watch for more signs now of people being sick around me, although I know that germs travel from over 6 feet away. I hope they fix this problem, as I am not getting any younger, and usually have severe respiratory problems when I have a cold or a virus. What the heck does big pharma do for people besides making drugs that either don't help a person or give them so many side effects they'd rather have the disease?

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:10 AM

4. My Mom, Flu shot, two weeks later almost dead

She has been in the hospital since the day after thanksgiving. With the flu.

I know at least five people that has happened to this year. All older.

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:18 AM

5. The flu shot is only as good as the immune system behind it.

The shot just gives your immune system a key to identify certain strains of the flu. If it is not up to the task, the flu will overwhelm it, even if the various components of your immune system know what to look for.

It has no protective properties beyond that.

Response to AtheistCrusader (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:38 AM

7. This. ^^^^^^

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 10:27 AM

6. My father was in the hospital for 7 days with flu and pneumonia

He had gotten both the flu shot and a pneumonia shot. He's 96, but amazingly he recovered.

My husband also got the flu, and had gotten the shot. Ditto for my brother-in-law.

I'll go one step further: I call it the man-flu, because the three people in my family who got the flu were all male, and none of the females got it. I spent all seven days, eight hours a day, in the hospital with my sick father and didn't get it.

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:05 AM

8. It's 100 percent impossible

to get the flu from a flu shot. Completely, totally impossible. Just because someone gets the flu after getting the shot doesn't mean the shot caused the flu. That's the old logical fallacy, "post hoc, ergo propter hoc"--after this, therefore because of this.

The flu shot contains chopped up bits of influenza proteins, not the virus itself. YOU JUST CAN'T CATCH THE FLU FROM THE FLU SHOT.

Response to SidneyR (Reply #8)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:11 AM

9. Did someone say that?

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:26 AM

10. duplicate topic - locking