HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Key House Republican: Don...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:31 PM

Key House Republican: Don’t Even Think About A Path To Citizenship

Source: TPM

Immigration reform’s chances in the House are looking bleaker after one of the top Republicans tasked with shepherding a bill to passage ruled out a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.

Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), chair of the Judiciary Committee that will mark up any House legislation on the issue, told NPR this week that he will not support a bill that eventually grants citizenship for the estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants in America.

“People have a pathway to citizenship right now: It’s to abide by the immigration laws, and if they have a family relationship, if they have a job skill that allows them to do that, they can obtain citizenship,” Goodlatte said. “But simply someone who broke the law, came here, say, ‘I’ll give you citizenship now,’ that I don’t think is going to happen.”

The so-called “path to citizenship” is a centerpiece of legislation proposed by the White House and by a bipartisan Senate group working on the issue. Both plans would allow undocumented immigrants to first gain a provisional legal status that lets them work, then apply for a green card and eventually citizenship after learning English, U.S. history, and civics, and paying fines and back taxes. Under the White House’s plan, immigrants would likely have to wait at least eight years before they could apply for a green card and another five years for citizenship. A bipartisan group of representatives in the House are working on their own comprehensive bill, but have yet to offer any indication that they’ve resolved the citizenship issue.

Read more: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/02/key-house-republican-dont-even-think-about-a-path-to-citizenship.php?ref=fpa

16 replies, 2297 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply Key House Republican: Don’t Even Think About A Path To Citizenship (Original post)
onehandle Feb 2013 OP
Coyotl Feb 2013 #1
Roy Rolling Feb 2013 #2
onenote Feb 2013 #13
Coolest Ranger Feb 2013 #3
graham4anything Feb 2013 #4
Comrade Grumpy Feb 2013 #5
magical thyme Feb 2013 #6
truthisfreedom Feb 2013 #7
magical thyme Feb 2013 #8
AAO Feb 2013 #9
pampango Feb 2013 #10
VA_Jill Feb 2013 #11
pampango Feb 2013 #12
gussmith Feb 2013 #15
gussmith Feb 2013 #14
hankthecrank Feb 2013 #16

Response to onehandle (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:36 PM

1. Meanwhile, he was thinking "We can't have millions more liberal people (of color) voting."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:50 PM

2. King Bob?

So King Bob makes a declaration? "So it is said, so shall it be?"

Let's take up a collection to send some of these morons a 9th Grade Civics book so they know how the government works in a representative democracy.

Reply to this post

Response to Roy Rolling (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:47 PM

13. If you think that the government works the way its described in a 9th grade civics book

you haven't been paying attention. Those "how a bill becomes a law" diagrams? Not even close to the reality in most cases. And even in a representative democracy, not every proposal gets a vote, even if it might get a majority of votes.

Goodlatte is in a position to declare that a path to citizenship is dead because the legislation that would provide for it has to go through his committee and as committee chair he has very broad powers to decide whether and when legislation comes up for a vote. He also can have significant inluence over whether the repub members of that committee, who may have things that they want considered by the committee, are willing to support a bill with such a provision or whether they will vote out a substitute bill that doesn't have such a provision.

Now, there are ways around the Committee, but would be pretty unusual, if not completely unheard of, for a house controlled by one party to use those measures to work around a committee chair from that party. More likely, a bill without a path to citizenship comes out of committee and an effort is made to pass an amendment putting it back in.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:04 PM

3. Cordell to Rep. Bob, there's more of us than you

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:07 PM

4. The choice is clear

Either there will be a bipartisian deal now

or in 2014, the democratic party will retake the house, and therefore not need the rpeublicans at all, and have 100% amnesty, and a quick path to citizenship
(hopefully in time for the 2016 election with full voting rights).

Once again another ropeadope knockout by President Obama

The repubicantealibertarians are witout a doubt clueless

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:11 PM

5. This modern day GOP is the biggest bunch of obstructionists ever.

They seem determined to just screw up everything and anything that Obama tries to do. I hope their behavior is driving them toward extinction.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:19 PM

6. somehow this statement just makes me think about it all the harder

And I'm smiling because as Graham4anything said above, do it now or lose big time in 2014 and watch it from the sidelines later.

Makes yer choice, GOP. Cause at long last, yer damned if you do and yer damned it you don't.

Reminds me of a cartoon of aerobics in hell, with some poor sucker getting prodded down the hall by Satan having to choose between 10 million leg lifts in this room, 10 million crunches in another one, and so on.

In this context, it might be eating 10 million peas today or 50 million peas in another year or two :

Reply to this post

Response to magical thyme (Reply #6)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:21 PM

7. I love peas.

Reply to this post

Response to truthisfreedom (Reply #7)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:24 PM

8. they're not my favorite, although I like them. But I have a vague memory

of candidate Obama talking about the need to eat our peas.

And for me, waiting a year or two to eat 50 million of them may be worth the pain of not eating 10 million of them right now.

I hear the GOP hates peas, just like so many other little kids.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:55 PM

9. I wish I had a contact list of all people of Central/South American descent living in the US

I would send this out ASAP! Bob Good Latte! needs to have his head examined!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:09 PM

10. Shout that loud and long, republicans. (And don't look at this poll!)

72% of voters favor a path to citizenship as a part of immigration reform. 84% of Democrats, but even 54% of republicans want it included, though I imagine that their republican fundamentalist and tea party wings do not like it by large margins.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:07 PM

11. Bob Goodlatte

is my congresscritter. He is totally a tool of the poultry processing industry, which is known nationwide for its use (and abuse) of undocumented aliens. Most of the ones hereabouts are Hispanic, but we're now seeing some that are either Haitian or west African. If there were a path to citizenship, Goodlatte's bosses would be in a world of hurt because they might actually have to pay those workers MINIMUM WAGE! <gasp>

Reply to this post

Response to VA_Jill (Reply #11)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 04:48 PM

12. And that's what it comes down to. Pretend you want to deport them knowing that won't happen

so you end up with a continued pool of exploitable workers.

The republican base is happy because you rejected 'amnesty' and tried to get them deported. Your base of employers is happy because they saw you wink, when you told the base you were trying to deport everyone, and know that these people are not leaving so they can still exploit them.

Reply to this post

Response to VA_Jill (Reply #11)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:06 PM

15. Goodlatte

Money is the bottom line for bottom feeders.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:04 PM

14. Progress to the Past

I can't understand being vindictive toward innocent people (children) who were brought to the U.S. illegally. Even those who were born here are beyond responsibility. The U.S. government is equally at fault for not securing our borders; to blame the children of immigrants is mindless and unreasonable. Eventually this mess will have to be resolved. Why not do it in an adult manner, not kicking and screaming just because someone may gain in the legalization process. Get the job done so we can move on.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:08 PM

16. This is going to leave a mark

Please proceed. (You asked for it so don't cry when it comes to time pay the price) please mr repig have that little smirk like you know what's going to happen.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread