HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » One-third of seafood misl...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:42 AM

One-third of seafood mislabeled, study finds

Source: Washington Post

By Juliet Eilperin and and Tim Carman, Thursday, February 21, 3:00 AM

If you order tuna at a D.C. restaurant, chances are half the time you’ll be getting another, less expensive fish in its place. But those odds are better than if you had wanted snapper. Testers nationwide found that 87 percent of the time, restaurants and grocery stores were selling something else under that label.

As much as one-third of seafood sold in restaurants and groceries is fraudulently labeled, according to a report the advocacy group Oceana released Thursday. The group sampled 674 retail outlets in the District and 20 states between 2010 and 2012, often finding cheaper, farmed fish being sold in place of wild-caught ones.

Ninety-five percent of the sushi restaurants, 52 percent of other restaurants and 27 percent of grocery stores surveyed sold mis­labeled seafood. While academics, consumer groups and media outlets in the United States and elsewhere have scrutinized fish labeling before and found major errors, Oceana’s effort is one of the largest seafood investigations to date.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/one-third-of-seafood-mislabeled-study-finds/2013/02/20/e168e032-7b70-11e2-82e8-61a46c2cde3d_story.html?tid=pm_pop

Shouldn't a lot of people go to jail for this? I don't understand how the justice system works.

28 replies, 3201 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 28 replies Author Time Post
Reply One-third of seafood mislabeled, study finds (Original post)
Mason Kennedy Feb 2013 OP
hobbit709 Feb 2013 #1
dotymed Feb 2013 #6
hughee99 Feb 2013 #23
Bosonic Feb 2013 #2
dembotoz Feb 2013 #8
WinkyDink Feb 2013 #3
AsahinaKimi Feb 2013 #4
d_r Feb 2013 #7
awoke_in_2003 Feb 2013 #19
AsahinaKimi Feb 2013 #20
awoke_in_2003 Feb 2013 #21
pangaia Feb 2013 #10
closeupready Feb 2013 #5
marble falls Feb 2013 #9
Dustlawyer Feb 2013 #11
SCVDem Feb 2013 #12
marybourg Feb 2013 #13
Nine Feb 2013 #14
marybourg Feb 2013 #15
Nine Feb 2013 #16
Kali Feb 2013 #22
SCVDem Feb 2013 #17
elleng Feb 2013 #18
KamaAina Feb 2013 #24
SCVDem Feb 2013 #25
musette_sf Feb 2013 #26
judesedit Feb 2013 #27
underpants Feb 2013 #28

Response to Mason Kennedy (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:44 AM

1. The justice system works this way.

If you have money, then you get "justice"

If you're poor, it's what Richard Pryor said "Just us"

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #1)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 08:48 AM

6. It seems

that if you have big money, you do not have to worry about real justice because you will probably never be taken to trial.

Reply to this post

Response to dotymed (Reply #6)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:21 PM

23. It depends who you screwed. Ask Bernie Madoff.

If rich people get pissed, you know there will be a trial or at least a plea deal.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:45 AM

2. Sea Horse?

Reply to this post

Response to Bosonic (Reply #2)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:09 AM

8. imported from romania i bet

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:50 AM

3. This article was quite lacking in detail.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 08:06 AM

4. Most Sushi/Sashimi restaurants

Have a sushi chart by the table, showing you what is what. If what you order is not what's in the photo, than you can tell them its the wrong thing. I have never heard of a Sushi Restaurant giving someone tuna when it was supposed to be Yellowtail. It might happen accidentally but certainly not intentionally.

Reply to this post

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:04 AM

7. I don't see how someone could not tell

it wasn't tuna in the first place.

Reply to this post

Response to d_r (Reply #7)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:53 PM

19. Count me in the group...

who could be duped. To me, fish meat looks like fish meat.

Reply to this post

Response to awoke_in_2003 (Reply #19)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:12 PM

20. its pretty easy to tell..

Sake and Maguro look nothing alike.

Reply to this post

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #20)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:22 PM

21. My problem is is eat...

too much red meat and not enough fish. I know I should change this- I could stand to lose a pound or 30

Reply to this post

Response to AsahinaKimi (Reply #4)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:19 AM

10. Right, yellowtail is easy to tell from 'tuna.'

But, there are different kinds of tuna that look like maguro to the inexperienced eye, or even the somewhat experienced eye. Inexperienced sushi eaters don't know this. So they may get 'tuna' but it is less and less often blue fin and more and more often one of a few others like big eye, yellow fin, etc. Because of the Japanese situation (mostly) with 'tuna' there is little blue fin left and the price is astronomical.

And unless one knows sushi, it can be difficult to tell the difference between a number of white fish --fluke, sea bass, red snapper, etc...

Most people also don't know the different cuts/quality of toro. etc..

Nothing here that you don't already know, though.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 08:24 AM

5. It's fun to eat out, but you know something, I'll be honest

I pass by all these newly-opened restaurant pretending to be fancy and fun and orgasmic, with prices to match, packed nearly every day and night, and just think to myself that I went into the wrong line of business. Half-joking, because people who are smart with money are the ones helping fools part with their own.

Anyway, I prepare almost all my meals these days.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:17 AM

9. Thank W for gutting the regulations and undercutting the regulators.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:37 AM

11. Remember that in the U.S., "the most highly tested of all seafood" according to the FDA,

we smell test our seafood. One of the Gulf shrimping companies I have worked for the BP oil spill started paying for lab testing so he could be sure of his shrimp and track where each boat load was caught so he would know where not to catch his shrimp b/c of Corexit and hydrocarbons. He found new industry clients who wanted even more testing. He refuses to sell the tainted catches which somehow would pass the vaunted "smell test!" There is a lot of fraud and a lot of contaminated seafood from all over the world. Most seafood purchased in the U.S. is imported from other countries such as those in S.E. Asia where the water from their rivers is highly polluted. We will destroy the oceans 1st because they belong to no country. Once the phytoplankton starts to die, we start to die, no oxygen! The single biggest source of oxygen generation comes from the sea, w/o which life on this planet will die.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:08 AM

12. I gave up fish!

People should help Illinois and eat Asian Carp.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:28 AM

13. Actually it works this way:

First there has to be a law. Then someone has to appear to break that law. Then they get a chance to tell their side of the story. They also get a chance to argue that the law violates the federal or a state constitution. Then someone designated for the purpose has to decide whether the law, if valid, really has been broken. No-one goes to jail just because of someone else's indignation.

So question one: Do we have a law that requires fish be described according to some specified set of standards? Did the story discuss this important issue? Not that I could see. Did anyone under age 50 on this board ever take a civics or government class?

edited to correct spelling

Reply to this post

Response to marybourg (Reply #13)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:36 AM

14. You don't think it's against the law to mislabel one kind of meat as another? (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to Nine (Reply #14)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:43 AM

15. Laws are not what we "think". They either have been passed by a legislative body,

in which case they appear in a statute book, or they have not, in which case there is no such law. So first we need to know: is there a law that deals with species labeling of fish? The Post story does not appear to have dealt with that question. It was apparently written just as a human interest story or to gin up indignation, but not to impart knowledge. So as of now I don't know whether it's against the law to mislabel one kind of meat as another, if that meat is fish.

edited for clarification

Reply to this post

Response to marybourg (Reply #15)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:55 AM

16. This isn't an ambiguous term like "natural" or "blueberry-flavored" or "cage-free."

Saying what something is seems pretty basic. If I buy something labeled beef, I expect it to be cow meat, not horse meat. If I buy applesauce, I expect it to be made from apples, not tomatoes. If you tell me there's no law against these things, my thought is that there damn well ought to be, not that I guess it's all good because no laws were really broken. But I'm highly skeptical there's not a law against it.

Reply to this post

Response to Nine (Reply #16)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:58 PM

22. fish

there is the "correct" label.

huge problems here with species vs. common names

I agree there should be some standards, but are there really any laws or standards? I have no idea. I do think there is some sort of regulations about lableing farmed vs wild-caught, but wouldn't swear to it.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:28 PM

17. Horse or Beef?

So is anyone saying the lawyers and 'victims' wouldn't be lining up to sue?

Why should fish be different?

Must we read the genus on the menu in order to be specific?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 12:42 PM

18. Someone has to know, have actual, immediate evidence of fraud, and make a complaint,

that's how the justice system works. Not simple or easy.

Going to Florida soon, and may just select MY lobster from a tank; probably won't fish for MY snapper. Easier in Maryland, where I can break the shells of MY crab with MY hammer before I eat it!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:21 PM

24. Great. I just had some "snapper".

I passed on a nice-looking meatloaf, too.

Reply to this post

Response to KamaAina (Reply #24)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:36 PM

25. Amazing what they can do

with Hagfish!

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:44 PM

26. and this is why I live by the coastside

and eat only local fish.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:56 PM

27. Jail is for poor people so they can provide cheap labor for the 1%

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:30 PM

28. Sushi and Rev. Moon

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watchdog/chi-0604sushi-1-story,0,4666032,full.story

April 11, 2006

"I have the entire system worked out, starting with boat building," Moon said in "The Way of Tuna," a speech given in 1980. "After we build the boats, we catch the fish and process them for the market, and then have a distribution network. This is not just on the drawing board; I have already done it."

The Alabama shrimp business is among the largest in the Gulf of Mexico, and the nearby boat-building plant has not only built more than 300 boats, but also done repairs on the U.S. Coast Guard and Navy ships, according to federal documents.

And the fish businesses have thrived. Company officials say the wholesale distribution arm, True World Foods, had revenue of $250 million last year.

According to True World Foods, its fleet of 230 refrigerated trucks delivers raw fish to 7,000 sushi and fine-dining restaurants nationwide. Dozens of those trucks leave each day from the Elk Grove Village warehouse, one of 22 distribution facilities around the country.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread