HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Three minor sisters looki...

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:14 AM

Three minor sisters looking for food raped, murdered in India

Source: the nation

As India celebrated the One Billion Rising movement to fight violence against women on February 14, three little sisters, aged five, nine and eleven, went missing from near their home in a small village in western Indian state of Maharashtra, Indian media reported on Wednesday.

Reports said that four days later, their dead bodies were found in a well on the outskirts of the village, next to a roadside eatery. Autopsies have confirmed that the three children were brutally raped and killed before their bodies were thrown into the well. In terrible irony, their tiny slippers were found next to empty liquor bottles. A shocking story of extreme poverty, hunger and assault has since come to light.

Police say the three fatherless children - whose mother works as a domestic maid in Lakhni village of Bhandara district and was away from home - were hungry and left home on Thursday afternoon in search of food. They found their way to the eatery where they were brutally raped and murdered.

That evening, their mother filed a missing persons complaint with the police. When their bodies were discovered, the police reportedly said the children, driven by poverty and hunger, could have killed themselves. Local residents say it was only when they protested that autopsies were conducted on the bodies. The post-mortem reports confirmed horrific assault. The police have since registered a case of rape and murder and say investigations are on to trace the unidentified attackers. Rajendra Singh, Inspector General of Police, Nagpur Range said, "We have checked out 100 to 150 people and interrogated 10 to 15." Six-seven special teams have been formed to probe the incident, police said.

Read more: http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/national/21-Feb-2013/three-minor-sisters-looking-for-food-raped-murdered-in-india

18 replies, 3612 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to JI7 (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:28 AM

1. 5. 9. 11.

Right now, I want to know to what degree the police are implicated. And if they didn't do it, I still want them hanged for being useless to women and children.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 05:56 AM

2. Words fail me...

I just cried reading this....its moments like this that I feel the human race is doomed...

Babies....who rapes and kills babies and disposes of them like garbage???? What kind of evil can walk amongst us and do this?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 06:54 AM

3. Shame on India. Didn't know until more recently about their horrible track record on violence

against women, and the extent to which it is very much tolerated. Who knew? What is wrong with men who would do that to anyone, let alone little girls? And the police initially tried to claim they may have all committed suicide?? Unbelievable. No doubt they'll never catch the monsters that did this.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:15 AM

4. Horrible those poor little girls I wish I could say I am shocked but I'm not

the track record on child abuse in India is horrifying one of the worst IMO

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 07:55 AM

5. WTF

How does this stuff keep happening around the world, the police saying they did this to themselves tells me they know who did it. Sad, Sad Day in the World.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:21 AM

6. USA should deny any immigration of males from India

Until this horrible situation is taken seriously, we should protest by only helping women flee this country. How horrible? Outrageous? We should make a statement. Perhaps if we had a female President, we just might be able top use our muscle.

Reply to this post

Response to juajen (Reply #6)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:35 PM

9. I grasp your outrage, but that is ridiculous.

Maybe we should deport all American males until rape stops here?

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 02:02 PM

11. My husband has long contended that we should have a "sanctuary" program for women

from countries where they are treated so horribly.

Just today I ran across an article about two elderly women,

recently tortured and burned alive in Papua

New Guinea for being "sorceresses".

The Headline read: "Is being born female a death sentence"?

I'm afraid that, in many cases and many countries it is.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:57 PM

17. Wow that comes off as extremely racist. No nothing party take two.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 01:00 PM

18. I understand your rage

but that would be an extreme and unfair solution. On the other hand, what would it take to create real change in India? Maybe something as extreme as what you suggest.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 09:57 AM

7. No words describe...

... how awful this is.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 10:16 AM

8. The police should go to prison for this

But they will likely not even loose their jobs. This is sad. Citizens need to stop making excuses for authorities and start holding them accountable for not doing their sworn duty.

Reply to this post

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:54 PM

10. As horrific as the story is

and as much as it makes me weep, remember that things like this go on all over the world all the time.

In India, they come to light because India has a free press. Once brought to light, the democracy rooted in India takes over and forces the government to do the right thing as was evident from the story.

The culprits will be brought to justice and punished severely.

However, to take a few isolated incidents that become well-publicized because of the free press and then paint the entire country as misogynist is unfair.

India gave women the right to vote at the get go, has had a woman prime minister, a woman president and several of the state chief ministers are women. More than a third of India's parliament is composed of women. The leader of the ruling party is a woman.

So, this is not about a war on women but a few culprits trying to get away with despicable acts because of an apathetic and lazy police force. The latter will have to put its ass in gear because the political pressure will force a change.

Reply to this post

Response to cosmicone (Reply #10)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:21 PM

12. India has a terrible track record of violence towards women, despite the rare female leaders

The problem in India is that the culprits for many decades have NOT been brought to justice and have gotten away with (literally) murder.

What a horrific story.

Reply to this post

Response to riderinthestorm (Reply #12)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:46 PM

13. Prove that there is a track record as you claim.

For a country of 1.2 billion people, India doesn't have 4 times the rate of violence against women as compared to the US. Prove with statistics what you claim otherwise you're just parroting sound bites.

Indians are actually very peaceful people and women are respected.

Reply to this post

Response to cosmicone (Reply #13)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 11:19 PM

14. These are only the "Reported" Rapes....there are many more articles out there.

http://www.naaree.com/violence-against-women-india-2011/
Violence against women in India is as rampant as ever now in 2011. A Thomson Reuters poll reveals that India is the 4th most dangerous place in the world for women.

This is abysmal, considering we have a woman President of the nation, women Chief Ministers in four states, a woman who is the chief of the ruling party, and powerful women CEO’s in the country. It is also seen that 90% of trafficking that happens is within the country, and around 40% of the prostitutes are children.

http://indiansawaal.com/rape-statistics-in-india/

Here below are statistics of rape cases reported in 2011 released by ministry of home :

The worst is this shameful list is madhya pradesh which has had Three thousand four hundred and six cases of rape reported in 2011 (3406) .

West Bengal which is worst in over all crime against women comes second in the list which number of rape case reported in 2011 where 2363 (Two thousand three hundred and sixty three).

Uttar pradesh has two thousand and fourty two reported cases of rape (2042).

Rajasthan comes fourth in the shameful list with eighteen hundred rape cases reported (1800).

Maharashtra and Assam are fifth and sixth in the shameful list respectively, which has had seventeen hundred and one (1701) & seventeen hundred (1700) rape cases respectively.

SNIP:
The total number of RAPE case reported last year has been Twenty three thousand five hundred and eight two.(23582)

Reply to this post

Response to cosmicone (Reply #13)

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:59 AM

15. the problem in india is not reported, and if you look at the OP, notice the police were not going

to do anything. only reason the people stood up was because of the recent awareness and protests against rape.

but there have been many more incidences where this happened and nothing was said.

even in the case of the girl who was gang raped and died it was because she had an outspoken father that it got as much attention as it did.

there are some peaceful people in india and some who respect women. but there are many who don't either.

i find the way guys stare when i visited there a few years ago kind of creepy.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:26 PM

16. This probably happens more often than we will ever know.

Very poor children are very vulnerable children.

... and those slippers next to the empty bottles: that's poignant and tragic, not "ironic".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread