HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Michael Moore Intervenes ...

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:25 AM

Michael Moore Intervenes When Agents Threaten to Deport (Oscar-Nominated) Director at Airport

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by azurnoir (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Raw Story

Michael Moore intervenes when agents threaten to deport Palestinian director at airport

By Stephen C. Webster
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:12 am

An Oscar-nominated Palestinian filmmaker was detained Tuesday and threatened with deportation by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents at Los Angeles International Airport, according to Oscar-winning director Michael Moore.

Moore tweeted early Wednesday morning that Emad Burnat, director of 5 Broken Cameras, a film critical of Israeli West Bank settlements, was put in a holding area with his 8-year-old son “and told they didn’t have the proper invitation to attend the Oscars.”

Moore added that Burnat was “threatened with being sent back to Palestine.”

- snip -

“I called Academy officials who called lawyers,” Moore explained. “I told Emad to give the officers my phone # and to say my name a couple of times… After 1.5 hrs, they decided to release him & his family & told him he could stay in LA for the week & go to the Oscars. Welcome to America.”

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/20/michael-moore-intervenes-when-agents-threaten-to-deport-palestinian-director-at-airport

2 replies, 1074 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Michael Moore Intervenes When Agents Threaten to Deport (Oscar-Nominated) Director at Airport (Original post)
Hissyspit Feb 2013 OP
meegbear Feb 2013 #1
azurnoir Feb 2013 #2

Response to Hissyspit (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 01:37 AM

1. "News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours"

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Hissyspit (Original post)

Thu Feb 21, 2013, 03:02 AM

2. very sorry but posted beyond LBN time limits lacking n/t