HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Pistorius Defense Rebuts ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:20 PM

Pistorius Defense Rebuts Police Testimony at Bail Hearing

Source: New York Times

By LYDIA POLGREEN

PRETORIA, South Africa — What began on Wednesday as a day for the prosecution to solidify what it had described as an irrefutable case of premeditated murder against Oscar Pistorius, the Paralympic champion, turned into a near rout by the defense, which attacked the testimony of the state’s main witness, the chief police investigator.

It was the second full day of a hearing to decide whether Mr. Pistorius, the double amputee nicknamed the Blade Runner who made Olympic history by running with able-bodied athletes in the 2012 Games in London, should be given bail as he awaits trial for shooting his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, in the early morning hours last Thursday. Mr. Pistorius said in an affidavit read in court on Tuesday that he had mistaken Ms. Steenkamp for a burglar and had shot her out of fear.

What was supposed to be merely a bail hearing took on the proportions of a full-blown trial, with sharp questions from the presiding magistrate, Desmond Nair, and a withering cross-examination that left the prosecution’s main witness, Detective Hilton Botha, grasping for answers that did not contradict his earlier testimony.

At first, Detective Botha’s testimony seemed to go well. He explained how preliminary ballistic evidence supported the prosecution’s assertion that Mr. Pistorius had been wearing prosthetic legs when he shot at the bathroom door, which Ms. Steenkamp hid behind. Mr. Pistorius said in his affidavit that he had hobbled over from his bed on his stumps, and had felt extremely vulnerable to an intruder as a result.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/world/africa/oscar-pistorius-murder-charge-bail.html?hpw

I was going to call Botha a "terrible detective," but there is no way to tell whether these "errors" were unintentional or not. By the way, did the neighbor/witness live 2000 feet or 1000 from Pistorius' house? He can't make up his mind. It's still a lot of feet!

1 replies, 1404 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pistorius Defense Rebuts Police Testimony at Bail Hearing (Original post)
Mason Kennedy Feb 2013 OP
Divernan Feb 2013 #1

Response to Mason Kennedy (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 06:35 PM

1. "And then he ran into my knife.He ran into my knife 10 times!"

Pistorius' explanation of shooting 4 bullets through the bathroom door brought to mind lyrics from the Cell Block Tango song in the musical, "Chicago". The women, each doing time for murdering their husbands, are protesting their innocence.

"Like, I come home this one day and there's Ernie Layin' on the couch chewin', no, not chewin', poppin' So, I said to him, I said "Ernie, you pop that gum one more time" and he did
So I took the shotgun off the wall And I fired two warning shots
. . . . into his head.
He had it coming, he had it coming He only had himself to blame

or another woman:
Then he ran into my knife.
He ran into my knife ten times.
If you'd have been there, if you'd have seen it I betcha you would have done the same.

I mean, come on! You wake up at night, and hear a noise in the bathroom, and your partner is not in bed with you? Who do YOU think is in the bathroom?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread