HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » UPDATED 3X - NY Daily New...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:35 AM

UPDATED 3X - NY Daily News Reporter: It Seems I Created ‘Friends Of Hamas’ Hagel Rumor

Last edited Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:19 PM - Edit history (1)

Source: TPM

Dan Friedman, a reporter in the New York Daily News' Washington bureau, has reason to believe he is the source of a rumor claiming that defense secretary nominee Chuck Hagel gave a speech to a shadowy group known as "Friends of Hamas." It started when he called a congressional Republican aide, Friedman wrote in a column published Tuesday:

Hagel was in hot water for alleged hostility to Israel. So, I asked my source, had Hagel given a speech to, say, the “Junior League of Hezbollah, in France”? And: What about “Friends of Hamas”?

Friedman thought the names of those groups were so ridiculous that they would never be thought of as actual organizations. But on Feb. 7, Breitbart News published this report: "Secret Hagel Donor?: White House Spox Ducks Question On 'Friends Of Hamas.'" From there, the story spread on the right.

One problem: as Dave Weigel at Slate wrote, "Friends of Hamas" almost certainly does not exist. Still, Ben Shapiro, Breitbart News editor-at-large, stood by his story," telling Friedman that his piece uses "very, very specific language."

-snip-

Read more: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/ny-daily-news-reporter-it-seems-i-created

Update:

Breitbart’s Ben Shapiro: NYDN Reporter Was Not Source Of ‘Friends Of Hagel’ Rumor

DAVID TAINTOR 10:42 AM EST, WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 20, 2013

Breitbart News editor-at-large Ben Shapiro on Wednesday disputed the claim that New York Daily News reporter Dan Friedman started a rumor claiming defense secretary nominee Chuck Hagel had ties to a shadowy group known as "Friends of Hamas."

"Sadly, for Friedman, that isn’t true," Shapiro wrote. "In fact, Friedman knew it wasn’t true when he wrote the piece."

Friedman wrote in a column that he sarcastically asked a congressional Republican aide whether Hagel had ever given a speech to a group called "Friends of Hamas." (All evidence has suggested that the group doesn't exist.) But Shapiro on Feb. 7 published an article under the following headline: "Secret Hagel Donor?: White House Spox Ducks Question On 'Friends Of Hamas.'" The story quickly spread in the conservative press.

Shapiro added on Wednesday that the Senate source for his story denied that "Friends of Hamas" came from Friedman. "I have received this information from three separate sources, none of whom was Friedman,” the source said, according to Shapiro.

Shapiro concluded that the whole ordeal is a ploy by the mainstream media to protect President Obama and his nominee for defense secretary.

-30-

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/breitbarts-ben-shapiro-nydn-reporter-was-not-source

----------------------------

Update 2:

NYDN Reporter Defends ‘Friends Of Hamas’ Column: ‘What I Wrote Is Correct’

DAVID TAINTOR 11:41 AM EST, WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 20, 2013
New York Daily News reporter Dan Friedman on Wednesday defended his column claiming that he started the rumor that defense secretary Chuck Hagel had ties to a shadowy group known as "Friends of Hamas." His defense came after Breitbart News editor-at-large Ben Shapiro disputed Friedman's claim that he inadvertently started the rumor.

"I don't want to get into a debate with Ben. What I wrote is correct," Friedman told TPM in an email.

Shapiro wrote Wednesday that a Senate source for his story on Hagel's possible ties to "Friends of Hamas" -- a group that almost certainly doesn't actually exist -- denied that the information came from Friedman.

-30-

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/nydn-reporter-defends-friends-of-hamas-post-what

--------------------------

Update 3:

Breitbart: NYDN Reporter Admits Our Story Is Accurate

DAVID TAINTOR 4:05 PM EST, WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 20, 2013

The fallout over the "Friends of Hamas" rumor continued Wednesday afternoon with Breitbart News claiming that New York Daily News reporter Dan Friedman admitted the conservative news site's story on the matter was accurate.

Friedman gave an interview to HuffPost Live on the "Friends of Hamas" rumor, which he claims he unintentionally started. Breitbart News focused on the following quote from Friedman: "I talked to (Breitbart's Ben Shapiro), and what he said was that if you read his lead as caveated, that he didn't directly say this group exists. He said this person told him that they were asked if this group exists. So you can say that that, if you look at it, and read it that way, yes, it's accurate."

On Feb. 7, Shapiro reported that Senate sources told Breitbart News that Hagel had ties to a shadowy group called "Friends of Hamas." Friedman has said he made the group up while asking a congressional Republican aide about Hagel's positions on Israel.

Asked about Breitbart's reporting on the nonexistent group, Friedman told TPM he didn't want to get into a debate with Shapiro. "What I wrote is correct," he said in an email.

-30-

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/breitbart-nydn-reporter-admits-our-story-is-accurate

10 replies, 2119 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply UPDATED 3X - NY Daily News Reporter: It Seems I Created ‘Friends Of Hamas’ Hagel Rumor (Original post)
DonViejo Feb 2013 OP
d_r Feb 2013 #1
muriel_volestrangler Feb 2013 #2
truthisfreedom Feb 2013 #3
TwilightGardener Feb 2013 #4
Bernardo de La Paz Feb 2013 #5
SCVDem Feb 2013 #6
marble falls Feb 2013 #7
Guy Whitey Corngood Feb 2013 #8
blue_heron Feb 2013 #9
Festivito Feb 2013 #10

Response to DonViejo (Original post)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:39 AM

1. who needs operation mockingbird

when you have so many volunteers to do the work for free?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 10:46 AM

2. Shapiro has been caught propagating a lie

Reached Tuesday, Shapiro acknowledged “Friends of Hamas” might not exist. But he said his story used “very, very specific language” to avoid flatly claiming it did.

“The story as reported is correct. Whether the information I was given by the source is correct I am not sure,” he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/friends-hamas-rumor-started-article-1.1268284?localLinksEnabled=false&google_editors_picks=true

But his 'story' (now revealed to be the fictional variety) said:

On Thursday, Senate sources told Breitbart News exclusively that they have been informed one of the reasons that President Barack Obama’s nominee for Secretary of Defense, Chuck Hagel, has not turned over requested documents on his sources of foreign funding is that one of the names listed is a group purportedly called ‘Friends of Hamas.’

We know there is no such document. Dan Friedman never said there was a document. So the Senate source made up that lie. But Shapiro has passed it on, without checking. Shapiro needs to stop pretending to be a journalist, and find a more honest profession than what he's doing now. Like running a 3 card trick scam.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:11 AM

3. "Friedman thought the names of those groups were so ridiculous that they would never be thought of

as actual organizations."

We live in strange times.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:16 AM

4. Libel suit? Hope so.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:23 AM

5. "3 separate sources" for Breitbart all got it from the Republican aide; they believe any nonsense!nt

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:02 PM

6. It's a lie!

"It aint a lie.

It's just....Bullshit!" Elwood Blues

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:09 PM

7. "Shocked, do you hear me, shocked that I may have started an rumor I fabricated. Shocked!"

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 02:13 PM

8. In Mr. Shapiro's defense

he contracted syphilis from the same goat that gave it to Breitdouche.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 03:12 PM

9. mccarthyism

So, let us revisit whether Cruz really did level false McCarthy-like accusations against Hagel.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 04:34 PM

10. Update 3 is a hoot. (Thank you for all the updates.)

Friedman gave an interview to HuffPost Live on the "Friends of Hamas" rumor, which he claims he unintentionally started. Breitbart News focused on the following quote from Friedman: "I talked to (Breitbart's Ben Shapiro), and what he said was that if you read his lead as caveated, that he didn't directly say this group exists. He said this person told him that they were asked if this group exists. So you can say that that, if you look at it, and read it that way, yes, it's accurate."

Friedman told TPM he didn't want to get into a debate with Shapiro. "What I wrote is correct," he said in an email.

Oh, my! It's about what I spoke so I say what I wrote... Argh!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread