HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Nigerian militants seize ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:03 PM

Nigerian militants seize French tourists in Cameroon: Hollande

Last edited Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:57 PM - Edit history (1)

Source: Reuters

Islamist militants from neighboring Nigeria abducted a French family of seven, including four children, in northern Cameroon on Tuesday, French President Francois Hollande said.

The risk of attacks on French nationals and interests in Africa has risen since France sent forces into Mali last month to help oust Islamist rebels occupying the country's north.

"They (French family) have been taken by a terrorist group that we know and that is in Nigeria," Hollande told reporters during a visit to Greece.

Armed men on motorcycles intercepted the family in their car at 0700 GMT and forced them to drive to the nearby Nigerian border, an aide to the governor of the province told Reuters, and the four-wheel drive vehicle was later found abandoned.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/19/us-cameroon-kidnapping-idUSBRE91I0MA20130219

4 replies, 1178 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Nigerian militants seize French tourists in Cameroon: Hollande (Original post)
Bosonic Feb 2013 OP
Lucky Luciano Feb 2013 #1
Bosonic Feb 2013 #2
Lucky Luciano Feb 2013 #4
Comrade Grumpy Feb 2013 #3

Response to Bosonic (Original post)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:48 PM

1. I noticed you editorialized with the quotes around the word terrorists.

Kidnapping as a means to address political grievances is definitely terrorism whether you think the act is justified or not.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Lucky Luciano (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:57 PM

2. Incorrect

Reuters changed the headline (which originally included "terrorists"). I've now revised the OP to match.

Reply to this post

Response to Bosonic (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:10 PM

4. Fair enough. My bad. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Lucky Luciano (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:58 PM

3. The current, slightly altered, Reuters headline calls them "miltants."

Personally, I think "terrorist" and its variants should be retired from the discourse. The term is mainly used to describe political violence of which we do not approve and adds little in real informational value.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread