HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Adopted Russian toddler d...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:03 AM

Adopted Russian toddler dies in Texas

Source: Washington Post

MOSCOW— Reports that a 3-year-old adopted Russian child died in Texas last month set off a furor here Tuesday, with Russian officials declaring the boy had been abused, although U.S. authorities say the death is still under investigation.

The child, Max Shatto, was born in northwestern Russia and lived in the same orphanage in the city of Pskov as Chase Harrison, who was adopted by a Northern Virginia couple and died at the age of 21 months after his father left him in a hot car in July 2008.

The Russian law banning American adoptions, enacted in December, was named after him as the Dima Yakovlev law, the name Chase was given at birth.

Pavel Astakhov, Russia’s children’s ombudsman and fervent opponent of foreign adoptions, told reporters Monday evening that Maxim had been beaten and given heavy psychiatric drugs. Konstantin Dolgov, the Foreign Ministry’s human rights officer, said he had died Jan. 21 “after being cruelly treated.”

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/adopted-russian-toddler-dies-in-texas/2013/02/19/493b3862-7aa0-11e2-9a75-dab0201670da_story.html?hpid=z3

15 replies, 2784 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Mason Kennedy (Original post)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:18 AM

1. This is a profound tragedy.

But, are we to believe that children in Russian orphanages are immune to such tragedies?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:23 AM

2. It was abuse if

the child was left in a hot car. I can see why Russia decided against letting American's adopt their children.

Reply to this post

Response to EC (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 11:32 AM

3. By this logic, if a Russian child was adopted by a Russian family and this happened,

then they would have to ban domestic adoptions also.
You're comment really is not logical.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:11 PM

4. I believe this child was mentioned in a Facebook group as a "special needs" child

with some serious health issues. If this is the child I am thinking of, this was a heartbreaking situation for the family, who did everything they could to give him the medical attention he required.

Orphans with disabilities are not sought after (per my Facebook adopting friends) in either the Ukraine or Russia; many times preemies are abandoned due to the health challenges they will face, and (I believe) disabled orphans are frequently sent to mental institutions for long term care after age four.

The tales of the "orphan houses" from my friends who have adopted from these countries are heartbreaking.

Condolences to all involved. Of course, if this was a case of abuse/neglect (and not a long standing medical situation), then let this post join in the condemnation.

I will inquire further, but I seem to recall posting sympathies on the loss of this child in one of my groups....

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 03:28 PM

5. From 2010: women returns adopted son to Russia

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called Hansen's actions "the last straw" in a string of U.S. adoptions gone wrong, including three in which Russian children had died in the U.S.

"After giving my best to this child, I am sorry to say that for the safety of my family, friends and myself, I no longer wish to parent this child."

Nancy Hansen said Friday the family had paid a man $200 to pick the boy up at the airport in Moscow and take him to the Russian Education and Science Ministry.

She said it wasn't child abandonment because a stewardess was watching Artyom on the flight and a reputable person picked him up in Russia.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2010/04/09/russia-adoption-tennessee.html

I am surprised adoptions were allowed to continue after this, the boy is a child not a defective TV, the 'Mother' found some guy on the internet to meet him in Russia

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 04:23 PM

6. Yeah because child abuse doesn't occur in Russia

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 04:25 PM

7. in 1996 my friend adopted a dwarfed sociopath from Russia

The boy, Alexi, was five but toddler sized. He smiled at her as he snapped a kittens neck. He would defecate on the floor while looking right at her. He terrorized her other children. He set fires. Eventually she had to relinquish custody of him and he went to live with nuns who did "holding therapy" to him. He had never bonded, never ran and played, would claw his way to a heel of bread, and all the while smile this charming smile, with dead eyes.

Reply to this post

Response to babydollhead (Reply #7)

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 05:04 PM

8. Oh my goodness, how heartbreaking for all

I hope that the therapy worked, or at least helped.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 06:24 PM

10. This kind of thing can happen with American adoptees who are seriously abused and neglected

A gay couple I know adopted a brother and sister who had been removed from an abusive, neglectful home, but the children were so damaged that they were out of control and refused to acknowledge anyone but each other. It got so bad that the adoptive parents had to take turns sleeping after the girl (who was six) stabbed at them with a scissors while they were asleep. Nothing worked. Eventually, for their own sanity and safety, they relinquished the children. The CPS clinical psychologists determined that the children needed years of therapy before they could live among ordinary people, if ever.

You have to wonder what happens to children like that when they grow up.

Also, I wonder if some of the adoptive parents of Russian children really know what they're getting into. Some turn out fine, but if I were in an adopting mode, I'd want to observe the child in the orphanage for a good long time before taking custody.

Reply to this post

Response to Lydia Leftcoast (Reply #10)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 08:17 AM

14. This is True

for American parents. But kids from eastern Europe have particular problems due to the quality of their "orphanages," (lousy) as well as the amount of alcohol abuse resulting in fetal alcohol syndrome.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 06:30 PM

11. That must have been heartbreaking

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 19, 2013, 05:17 PM

9. Although the incident shouldn't be used to generalize US parents it does provide some fodder,

no matter how minor, to the opponents of US adopters of Russian children.

RIP Max Shatto

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 12:47 AM

12. Fundies LOOOOVE foreign adoptions. You get to convert the heathens. And the Russian kids match

the ones they've got at home.

A lot of other countries are getting around the fundamentalist adoption problem by setting strict limits on the number of children in the adopting home, but the problem is that fundies "disrupt" adoptions that aren't working out and "rehome" the kid like a puppy, often with no paperwork. There are quite a few yahoo groups and other message boards that are essentially swap boards for troubled adopted kids.

Reply to this post

Response to LeftyMom (Reply #12)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 07:32 AM

13. Wow, that's disgusting. I think I side with the countries blocking US adoptions. nt

Reply to this post

Response to LeftyMom (Reply #12)

Wed Feb 20, 2013, 09:13 AM

15. wtf

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread