HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Florida fugitive who stab...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 03:53 PM

Florida fugitive who stabbed detective with eyeglasses during escape shot dead in Texas

Source: CBS News

GRAPEVINE, Texas - A Florida prisoner who escaped after stabbing a detective with his eyeglasses was shot and killed by Texas law enforcement officers early Saturday after police responded to a report of a home burglary, authorities said.

Alberto Morales was shot shortly after midnight when officers, with assistance from a police helicopter, spotted him in a wooded area near a lake in North Texas, Grapevine police Sgt. Robert Eberling said. Two hours earlier, officers responded to a report that jewelry and men's clothing had been stolen during a break-in at a home near where Morales was found.

Eberling said at a Saturday news conference that officers instructed Morales to lay on the ground and show his hands, but he rushed toward them, at which point they opened fire. He said the fugitive was still wearing part of his prison-issued jumpsuit as well as jogging pants, but Eberling said he couldn't comment on whether the stolen clothing and jewelry was found with Morales.

Escaped Texas prisoner described by police as "schizophrenic" The residents arrived home around 10:30 p.m. Friday to discover the burglary at their home and called law enforcement officials, Eberling said.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57569743/florida-fugitive-who-stabbed-detective-with-eyeglasses-during-escape-shot-dead-in-texas/

7 replies, 1842 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Florida fugitive who stabbed detective with eyeglasses during escape shot dead in Texas (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Feb 2013 OP
SpankMe Feb 2013 #1
ZombieHorde Feb 2013 #2
Spirochete Feb 2013 #4
ZombieHorde Feb 2013 #5
ReRe Feb 2013 #3
NoodleyAppendage Feb 2013 #6
Ash_F Feb 2013 #7

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 07:25 PM

1. Everyone involved in this is a fucking moron.

The perp is a fucking moron for escaping and injuring a cop in the process. And, the cops are likely asses for probable abuse of deadly force - pissed off because the guy injured one of their own.

If the guy aimed a gun at the cops as they were bearing down on him, then I have no problem with the killing.

Anything short of that and the cops were just conducting an execution.

No matter how unsavory the suspect is, or how bad his/her crime, they must be taken alive if at all possible and given proper, even-handed justice.

I am concerned about the lack of information coming from the police. If they killed him, they should be able to say right now exactly why they killed him. Instead, they're not confirming if he was armed, threatening, or in possession of items from the burglarized home. This is suspicious to me - like they're hiding something or buying time to "get the story straight", if you know what I mean.

Police killing suspects during the chase and seemingly on a whim is on the severe uptick in this country. We have a problem.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to SpankMe (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 07:59 PM

2. Seems like this situation is why tasers were made. nt

Reply to this post

Response to ZombieHorde (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 02:08 AM

4. Naw, those were intended

for jaywalkers, handicapped old people, and kids who won't eat their vegetables. Contact lenses were invented to prevent things like this...

Reply to this post

Response to Spirochete (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 02:09 AM

5. Ha! nt

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 16, 2013, 08:08 PM

3. They could have...

... tazed him. But, since it's the wild wild west back-country of Grapevine, shoot-em-up Texas, they probably don't even know what a tazer is. Heck, why have a tazer,
when you've got a gun?

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:34 AM

6. I guess a bullet to the head is the cure for schizophrenia?

If this guy was in a mental institution, as he would have likely been in decades past, do you think the facility would have used lethal force if he escaped? No. This incident is a direct result of the prison system replacing the chronic mental illness inpatient system that was dismantled in the mid-1970s.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 17, 2013, 10:12 AM

7. I doubt he actually 'rushed toward' them.

And spare me the bootlicking responses. Don't worry, the cops will be fine.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread