HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Avakian and Merkley team ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 10:43 PM

Avakian and Merkley team up to produce historic win for LGBT military burial rights

Source: blueoregon.com

Don't Ask, Don't Tell may have ended, but the Defense of Marriage Act means that the federal government still doesn't recognize same-sex marriages. And that has a direct impact on LGBT military personnel who wish to be buried with their spouses in national military cemeteries, as is allowed for straight couples.

When Nancy Lynchild was diagnosed with cancer last year, she and her wife - Lt. Col. Linda Campbell, a former military aide to Governor Vic Atiyeh - realized that she wouldn't likely live to see the policy changed.

That is, until a chance phone call between Campbell and Avakian. ...........

As Oregon's chief civil rights enforcer, Avakian dug into the federal law -- and found an exception.

Read more: http://www.blueoregon.com/2013/02/avakian-and-merkley-team-produce-historic-win-lgbt-military-burial-rights/

We have some great politicos in Oregon. Brad Avakian is someone to watch. Merkley is a great progressive.

6 replies, 1275 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Avakian and Merkley team up to produce historic win for LGBT military burial rights (Original post)
Coyotl Feb 2013 OP
Tx4obama Feb 2013 #1
davidpdx Feb 2013 #2
Coyotl Feb 2013 #5
davidpdx Feb 2013 #6
Bluenorthwest Feb 2013 #3
jumptheshadow Feb 2013 #4

Response to Coyotl (Original post)

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 11:00 PM

1. Wow! Great news. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 14, 2013, 11:22 PM

2. I think it is excellent that Merkley and Avakain are able to team up

to find a solution. We also need to reverse Measure 36 (2004) which was a constitutional amendment defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman which passed by 240,000 votes with 56.63%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Ballot_Measure_36_(2004)

Oregon is a very progressive state, the first to pass doctor assisted suicide and the first to pass medicinal marijuana. I was shocked when M 36 passed.

Reply to this post

Response to davidpdx (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 10:57 AM

5. There is a new ballot measure starting now. It was on Eugene NPR local station news yesterday.

Backers of gay marriage will take their cause to Oregon ballot in 2014.
http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2013/02/backers_of_gay_marriage_will_t.html

Backers of gay marriage say they will take their fight to Oregonís 2014 ballot, setting up a high-profile political contest on the emotional issue in a state that voted less than a decade ago to constitutionally ban same-sex marriage.

The stateís major gay-rights group, Basic Rights Oregon, made the decision over the weekend to launch a petition drive on Monday to put a measure on the ballot that would allow legal recognition of same-sex marriages. Given the groupís resources and the issueís high visibility, there is little doubt the group can qualify the measure for the November general election.

Reply to this post

Response to Coyotl (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 08:21 PM

6. Good

I think it will be a hard fight, but it can be won. Public opinion has swung in the right direction since M 36 was passed.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 07:11 AM

3. Brad and Jeff both have my support, and this is yet another reason why...

nt

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 15, 2013, 07:58 AM

4. A major breakthrough comes out of such sadness

I pray that DOMA is overturned. So many important things for good people hinge on it.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread